News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:00:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Irvine 40 mkII  (Read 22802 times)

Offline Michael Millard

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Irvine 40 mkII
« on: March 28, 2021, 07:48:13 PM »
I just picked up a new Irvine 40 mkII side exhaust on Ebay the owners manual that came with it lists only Castor based fuels. What would people suggest for brake-in and for stunt use.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Irvine 40 mkII
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »
I just picked up a new Irvine 40 mkII side exhaust on Ebay the owners manual that came with it lists only Castor based fuels. What would people suggest for brake-in and for stunt use.

Do not use  more  than  1/2  castor  of you  oil type, it will run better  last longer  on  part  synthetic
You can read   the fuel article  pinned  at the  top of this  forum

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 10:13:30 PM »
The Old OS H40S & FSR intakes fit . A 10 x 4 three blade works , but underproped .

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 07:00:18 PM »
There's a Peter Chinn test of the mkII at http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Irvine%20Sport%2040%20Mk2%20%282%29.html . Note that it uses a steel liner and Dykes ring plus has a very high compression ratio so wouldn't tolerate too much nitro. As for castor, being British then most likely the castor used (and recommended by Irvine) would be Castrol M which is very good stuff.

Offline Michael Millard

• 2016 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 09:20:25 PM »
Thank you everyone for the information. I've gotten some break-in runs on it with the irvine venturi with the goofy needle valve with Sig champion 15% nitro 20%50/50. With this setup I can't get the engine anywhere close to 4 cycling. I live at 6300 ft which is why I have 15%. I'm guessing the 15% was the problem getting it to slow down, I have methanol and sig castor that I think I'll mix 75/25 for the rest of break-in. Also have a 40H venturi  but can't find a needlevalve/spraybar for. Thanks again guys for the info.
Michael Millard

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 06:21:45 PM »
Yea, typical English engine is set up for ' Straight ' , No Nitro fuel  . So may well want a few gaskets under the head . Ive had one ' hemi'd ' just for the heck off it .

The ENYA & ST 60 Spray bars fit that intake, youd think the Irvine one might , guess its through higher like the HP ones . Unless it was a early r/c carb spraybar from 65 that went right thru the carb .
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 12:10:32 AM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Michael Millard

• 2016 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 07:28:36 PM »
 Just an update on my Irvine.Ordered and installed OS 40H derilin  venturi and needle valve from Ebay control line store ie Shtterman  which seem to work well. the venturi has smallest throut. Finally getting close to being broke-in. Thanks again for the help. Michael Millard

Offline Mark Legg

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2024, 07:47:13 AM »
Hi all

Sorry to reinstate an old thread, but I've just discovered an Irvine 40R in a box of engines left to me by my father

I was hoping to give it a try on a piped setup as I've never used one before.

Does anyone know where I would able to find a header/pipe suitable for it? (UK by the way) The venturi isn't an issue as I can make something suitable.

Is there anything I need to know about running these engines? Props/tank/fuel/plugs etc?

I know I probably shouldn't bother in this day and age, but the whole pipe setup type model intrigues me, and I'm led to believe these Irvine would give an OS 40VF a run for its money

Hopefully theres a pic attached

Thanks in advance for any advice/help

Mark

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 07:25:39 PM »
Precision Aero / randy smith , is obviously the place to go for a pipe .

I think the timings 120 / 140 , so a notch lower than the OS VF .

My 40 dribbled so put a sealed front bearing in . But its thicker . Prop Driver 1/16 th Fwd .

I would run in on CASTOR , as the ring is DYKEs and ' well fitted ' . they go in a K&B 40 TIGHT .
Theyre a crry on in a sense from the K&B SR IIseries . Were T&L K&B stunts ( adds in old SLIS LINAS mag aroung 1980 / 1990 )

Acording to the sceptre flight tripe , the R E is pretty much a M II , but R E . I got a head insert ' HEMI 'd . just in case .

Unpiped , theyve got a ton of grunt , IF theyre REVED . a 10 x 4 three blade tornado & it took off like a cut cat . So Id think a pipe unecessary .
Unless you enjoy the complexity . the K&B and maybe OS rear Flange interchange , so it should be quite straightforward . a few guys in the U S have used them .

https://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Irvine%2040R%20RC.html

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 12:39:26 AM »
I'm no expert on the Tornado 3-blade props, but I would not use one of their "flexi" style props on this engine. I know of an incident where an ST .46 blew the blades right off on takeoff.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2024, 08:08:57 PM »

The BLACK glass filled nylon are fine , IF you dont carry the plane , or half the plane , by grasping a prop blade . this dosnt help any prop .
Casting the plane to the ground ( in the pits ) can do it to . Even to a fibreglass prop . SPLIT the blade .

Grish Tornado , in the triangular 60s bubble packs , were STIFF . Some bagged with the yellow tag , were soft . Some very soft .
Later WHITE , Some were polypropolene .( or suchlike ) . on a hot day the 11 x 4 on the 21 / 40 had the blade ends pulling themselves forward , curved , to 90 degress . Tangental or something . Notta Lotta use .

If you deck the black ones , theyll de blade themselves . or you will . If you lookatit likethat . They WORK good though . IF YOU LOOK AFTER THEM . Not that theres any left , these days . F'glass copies available in the U. S.

a BOLLY 11 x 4 three blade'd likely suit the IRVINE , on a .30 or .32 intake . .275 up , likely suit it . the VF's PIPED they found you didnt need to reset the cabodle with the barometer , on the .275 . Mr Buck & Co .
tooned Pipe operation artical ,  it on here , somewhere .

AS you mentioned TUNED PIPES  , youd beta digit out , and havea READ . as they seemed to figurem out .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 08:27:59 PM »
Sa page firtie fre ta firtie seven , Moit .

file:///C:/Users/PUBLIC~1/AppData/Local/Temp/SN_Magazine_SPEC_ED_2009.pdf

sig1:stunt news template.qxd

* TUNED PIPES FOR CL AEROBATICS . By David Fitzgerald and Brett Buck . *

P.A.M.P.A. Stunt News . Special issue 2009 .

Phah : if you put the * -- * in search , itll getcha
sig1:stunt news template.qxd
Precision Aerobatics Model Pilots Association
https://pampacl.org › stuntnewsdownload › SN_M...
PDF
Tuned Pipes for CL. Aerobatics by Dave Fitzgerald and Brett Buck. Optimize your tuned-pipe setup for top performance. The Stiletto. Chronicles Part. III by Les.
100 pages

& click on the http downloads wotsit itll gettit .

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 06:19:33 PM »
Sorry to reinstate an old thread, but I've just discovered an Irvine 40R in a box of engines left to me by my father
I was hoping to give it a try on a piped setup as I've never used one before.
I'm led to believe these Irvine would give an OS 40VF a run for its money
This may help or not but here goes. I have an Irvine 40RLS which is based on the same crankcase as your engine but internally is quite different as it's designed as a CL stunt engine but then again the VF's were designed for R/C :).
I used an Eather tuned pipe set at around 17.25" and an Eather 3 blade 11.25x4 CF prop. Revs were around 10,500 and fuel was straight 80/20 all castor. Tank of course was a plastic uniflow. In my opinion, having used both the VF40 and 46 in the same model with the Irvine RLS, the Irvine beats the VF hands down.

Offline Mark Legg

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 10:12:04 AM »
Thanks for the answers Gents

I've spoken to a few others, and received feedback between "don't bother" to "they're really good!"

I've flown four strokes in competition (and won a few!) And have a couple of stalkers to play with, but the stubborn b'stard in me wants to try this on a pipe, as the engine is sitting there doing nothing.

I'll have a look at some low pitch props, I believe someone got a 40R to go well on a 12.25 x 3.75 APC as a starting point. Then try and find some Eather or Bolly props.

.275 choke area? That's about 6.8mm in Euro money...I have venturi and ST type needle that will do that.

Just got to talk to randy smith or someone about a pipe and then trial it!

Cheers

Mark

Offline roy cherry

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2024, 03:02:49 AM »
mark  you best give me a call  on 02088441727  i can give you some pointers   at home between  4 to 5 most days    roy cherry

Offline Mark Legg

• New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 12:30:13 AM »
Ah Roy!

Didn't know you were on here! Thanks for that, will take you up on that. Had a chat with Roger too, he's given me some pointers.

Cheers

Mark

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here