News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:46:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Irvine 40  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Irvine 40
« on: July 22, 2019, 06:55:17 PM »
liberated from the Cox Forum , as ' the subject ' has on occasion arisen . follows - >
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've resurrected this thread because of some new information on these RE Irvine’s which came direct from Peter Halman.

The original 40R came from the early Mk1 or 2 and had a plain finish all over. However, there were two different crankcases, one for the ringed version where the OD of the liner was 24.55mm and the other for the ABC which had a liner of 25mm OD. The 40RLS uses the ABC crankcase so there are no external identification marks other than the "R".

The 40R had a bore of 21.34mm and stroke of 18.29mm while the 40RLS has a bore of 20.55mm and stroke of 19.5mm. This different bore/stroke was adopted from the Q40 but of course the liner has an RE layout and different port timings. The RLS also uses the Q40 conrod, which is slightly longer than the earlier engines, and the crankshaft from the earlier 46 which had a stroke of 19.5mm.

So I guess to sum up, the 40RLS is a mixture of Mk2 RE ABC crankcase and .46 crankshaft with some Q40 bits thrown in including the red Q40 head. That leaves the colour of the head as the only external identification. The only indication of numbers made is that Peter said they made "some" 40RLS in both CL and RC versions.

My thanks to Andrew Tinsley in the UK who did all the leg work of contacting Peter Halman and passing on his email to me.

Here is a picture of a 40RLS C/L Stunt engine showing the red head.

Davenz13

( This is EDITED form the Original extraeneous info Here : https://www.coxengineforum.com/t12223p25-show-and-tell )

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:29:30 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
Re: Irvine 40
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:36:58 PM »
I thought I recognised that photo, probably because it's my engine :). The history for this engine is that it was used by Derek Pickard for a short article he wrote on the use of tuned pipes for stunt in the June '96 issue of Aeromodeller. I bought the engine, pipe and prop from him at the '95 Ballarat Nationals. I'd done a fair bit of flying using a VF 40 but the Irvine impressed the heck out of me. It seemed much more powerful and dead reliable. Its only shortcoming was that it's very finicky on the prime for starting. Get it right and it's an easy one flick start but overprime by the smallest amount and it'll try to take your finger off.

Offline Robertc

• Commander
Re: Irvine 40
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 10:16:51 AM »
Here's a close up of the Irvine 40 that I had.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here