News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:09:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Installing a piston/sleeve with pinned ring?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Installing a piston/sleeve with pinned ring?
« on: October 19, 2018, 01:05:10 PM »
     Hi All:

Can you tell me an easy to do this.  I did it today for the first time and had a thrill a minute.  There must be an easy and quick way to do this. Share please.

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Installing a piston/sleeve with pinned ring?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 08:54:39 AM »
     Hi All:

Can you tell me an easy to do this.  I did it today for the first time and had a thrill a minute.  There must be an easy and quick way to do this. Share please.

Tia,

Frank McCune

You did it in what  motor, ?  different engines  take different  ways to install them, some you can put the piston/ring in the sleeve before inserting, others  you cannot

Randy

Randy

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 09:11:10 AM »
     Hi Randy:

Thanks for the prompt reply.  It was an OS SF .46 engine.

I finally marked the top of the piston with a felt tipped pen and attempted to align the pin with the ring gap.  I used a dental pick to lightly check to determine if the ring gap was seated on the pin.  I assumed that if the ring did not rotate when in the sleeve, all was well.  The piston/ring appeared to move in the sleeve sans any difficulty.  I hope that this is an accurate indication that the parts are assembled correctly.

Be well,

Frank

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 11:48:53 AM »
That motor is  pinned on the  intake side of the motor, and towards the back, between the rear main intake port and the  boost port, make sure the piston is pointing that way where the pin is, they came with an  arrow on top of the piston pointing the way, but you can just scribe another one in   if you cannot  read it
The  rings  are cut on the back side at the  gap  to clear the pin  so the  gap goes  at the  pin.  Some engines like the  ST 51  have the  rings  cut about an 1/8 in  away from the  gap  to clear the  pin, so  double  check  your  motor  BEFORE  you install the parts .,
IF you buy a ring from a  aftermarket ring maker, and he machines the pin clearance in the  WRONG place, and tells you  to twist the  sleeve to match, just look for a  new ring that is  stock

Be aware  some engines  the ring has top be install top to bottom correctly, there is a top and bottom  to some rings
Many of ringed pinned  engines  have  a  bevel  cut on the bottom of the sleeve  to  compress the ring  as you slide  the sleeve over the top of the piston  and into  the  case,  this is  doen  ALWAYS  at  top dead center,  and  you make have to twist and  wiggle  the sleeve  a  very  SMALL amount  to get the  ring to compress.  CAUTION  many people ding or  break the  ring installing them as they are too aggressive with the technique to install them
Check the ring  by just squaring  them up in the  sleeve  and using a  feeler gauge,,, DO NOT use  a  dental pick

Regards
Randy

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 01:22:08 PM »
The ones that do not have the taper in the bottom of the sleeve, only take twelve finger nails to compress the ring. LOL. The ones with the taper are gently worked in with every thing at your disposal that is not hard. A nylon electronic tuning tool works well to gently push the ring on the side it is not in yet. Working around the ring you can get them in without forcing them.

Somebody should make a small ring compressor for model engines.
Jim Kraft

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:26:06 PM »
     Hi Jim & Randy:

Thanks for the replies.

I used the dental pick to check to see if the ring gap was in the correct position.  This was done by removing the head and with the piston at TDC and applying a very small radial force to the ring gap to determine if the ring was correctly on the pin.  I doubt that any damage happened to the ring.

In the past, I used a worm screw type of hose clamp for a piston ring compressor.  Try it and it may work for you.

All the best,

Frank McCune

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 06:03:15 PM »
Hose clamp is a great idea Frank. Modelers make things that work out of necessity. That is what makes this hobby so great.
Jim Kraft

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »
ST G.51 was the only one I've done. The cylinder was a heat-shrink fit into the case, which I doubt would be a problem on the OS. It was a lot of sweating bullets and application of the heat gun, but came out just fine. If the piston and ring go into the cylinder, the ring gap has to engage the pin, or it won't go. My two G.51's will soon be fitted with ABC setups...YAY! That's the way ST should have made them to start with.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
ST G.51 was the only one I've done. The cylinder was a heat-shrink fit into the case, which I doubt would be a problem on the OS. It was a lot of sweating bullets and application of the heat gun, but came out just fine. If the piston and ring go into the cylinder, the ring gap has to engage the pin, or it won't go. My two G.51's will soon be fitted with ABC setups...YAY! That's the way ST should have made them to start with.  y1 Steve

Hi Steve
I have done over 200  ST G51s   everyone  has  had to have the pin engage the ring offset from the ring end gap, NOT at the ring gap, if you put the ring gap at the Pin  it will interfere into the port, the  ring is  machined about 1/8 inch  away from the  gap  to clear  the pin,  So I guess  you may have had an after market  ring

Look close at the  ring, look near the  gap on the left side, the  back side of the ring is machined  there  to clear the pin, and hold the  ring AWAY from the  port , so the  gap does not  catch in the port
Regards
Randy
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:04:13 PM by RandySmith »

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 09:05:09 AM »
I still do not see how a person could get the ring to go in if the ring notch was not on the pin. It would push it out enough so that it would not go in the sleeve. Seems like the ones I have seen the recess for the pin was at the ring gap. I just learned that is not always the case. But the only big Tigre's I have owned that were ringed, was a blue head 60, and the old single ring 46 that I have now. As I recall niether one of those were pinned.

Jim Kraft

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »
I still do not see how a person could get the ring to go in if the ring notch was not on the pin. It would push it out enough so that it would not go in the sleeve. Seems like the ones I have seen the recess for the pin was at the ring gap. I just learned that is not always the case. But the only big Tigre's I have owned that were ringed, was a blue head 60, and the old single ring 46 that I have now. As I recall niether one of those were pinned.

Hi Jim
You are correct  the ring has to be  relieved  at some part of the ring  to clear the pin, this is normally at the gap or just a small amount away from the gap, the  older engines that were  single by pass models  did not need pinned, as they used much smaller ports, the  newer  Loop Charged ported engines have  very large ports in comparison , large enough for the  ports  to let the ring gaps into the port, and clip off parts of the ring,  so naturally you would pin the ring so the  gap  is  running on a surface that  clears all the ports

Randy

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 04:36:49 PM »
Randy's correct, of course! It is a Tom Lay rebuilt G.51...which had a Frank Bowman ring, per his standard rebuild. So, I never saw a stock G.51 ring. The ring wasn't seating, no compression, some shiny spots on the cylinder wall, so I took it apart and gave it a decent crosshatch with a brake cylinder hone. The cylinder (new from Tower) didn't look like it had ever been honed...ever. The cylinder of this particular G.51 is a shrink fit, which I thought was odd. This feature made assembly a PITA, but I got 'er done, the ring seated, compression appeared, and it will now fire off with a digital starter.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 05:35:19 PM »
Makes sense Randy. I never thought of the ports on the newer engines being larger so the ring can catch in the port. Most of the engines I work with are old ignition engines which in comparison have very small ports. The Atwood Champion, before the Super had round port windows.
Jim Kraft

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
When I was flying R/C pattern, I flew with a friend that ran YS 120 four strokes. He found that if the ring gap was in a certain place they ran better. He would go fly them until they ran best, shut the engine down and hope the ring did not move. Then he pinned the ring there. Then they always ran consistently after that. Depending on what side the gap was on was where they had the best running compression. You could tell it in the air before he pinned them at times they would just lose power for no known reason. He figured it out. Pinning the ring solved the problem. No port windows to worry about.
Jim Kraft

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »
A clearer pitcher ,

Wonder some times , and sometimes dont wonder , Production Line 'rejects ' end in the ' spares ' consignments .

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 11:18:41 PM »
When I was flying R/C pattern, I flew with a friend that ran YS 120 four strokes. He found that if the ring gap was in a certain place they ran better. He would go fly them until they ran best, shut the engine down and hope the ring did not move. Then he pinned the ring there. Then they always ran consistently after that. Depending on what side the gap was on was where they had the best running compression. You could tell it in the air before he pinned them at times they would just lose power for no known reason. He figured it out. Pinning the ring solved the problem. No port windows to worry about.

Same with the ST46, the end would migrate freely and it clearly made a difference in how it ran. I was to the point of figuring out how to pin the ring, when we went to the Golden State meet and found Paul Walker flying his 40VF-powered model. Then I stopped having to care about ring end gaps ever again.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here