News:

• May 20, 2024, 09:46:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tatone Peace Pipe [ 29-40] - Where From Please ?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Robin_Holden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Tatone Peace Pipe [ 29-40] - Where From Please ?
« on: September 24, 2008, 01:39:32 AM »
Sorry to bother you all again guys with my questions.

Anyone know of a source where I can buy a Tatone strap-on Peace Pipe please ?

I know Sig will sell me one but the additional charges to mail to France are a bit punitive !

Would appreciate a source I could call up on the 'phone if possible.

Much obliged for your trouble,

Robin [ Ex-pat Brit in the Charente full of ex-pat Brits ]

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
Re: Tatone Peace Pipe [ 29-40] - Where From Please ?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:40:51 AM »
In the distant past, I used Peace Pipes some because they were all you could find for a small price, but they were prohibitively heavy, as well as overly restrictive, and when machined strap-on tongue mufflers started to appear, I put the Peace Pipes aside. 

John Tatone got started providing timers for FF, and then later, speed pans and radial engine mounts in the waning days of CL, and eventually wanted to retire, so he sold most of his business to someone else quite some years ago. 

A far better Tatone muffler model, the Calumet, was dropped by the new Tatone.  Anyway, AFAIK, the Peace Pipes from SIG are still the original design.  You really want something better than that, though! 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:48:46 AM by Just One-eye »

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 07:41:09 AM »
Robin,

Must you have the Peace Pipe and no other (much better) muffler?

What engine is this for?

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:12:40 AM »
Tatone is one of the entities that currently belongs to Mecoa.  Check out www.mecoa.com for details.  Note that they list the peace pipe as 'in process'.  That probably means they'll make them eventually, but you never know. 

I had a peace pipe that came in a batch of junk off ebay.  I gave it the test fit to a couple different engines, and didn't like the way it mated with anything, or the quality in general, so I threw it back out on ebay and got rid of it.  It wasn't a very impressive piece as far as fit and finish, and it appeared to be NOS with no signs of ever being used.  It shouldn't be hard to find an alternative that would be a better deal, unless you specifically want the peace pipe.

Eric Viglione

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 08:00:48 PM »
Yup, the PeacePipe is ugly and very restrictive. Just happens to be EXACTLY what is needed for the loud and unruly Fox .59. Makes it sound downright mellow, and perfect for toning down the power just enough to spin a BY&O 12x5 and haul a Viking perfectly. The nose weight is welcome in this case, and it even looks appropriate when used for this purpose.  y1

EricV

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 12:51:36 AM »
Jim , to reply to your question I thought I'd try one on my Enya 35 [ 5224 ] but .....

After reading all the views from contributors I've decided to take your advice !!

Won't bother with a Peace Pipe .

Much obliged for all the advice guys , regards from an ex-pat Brit in the French 'sticks'.

Robin.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 09:03:55 PM »
Tatone Peace pipes came in 2 sizes - .09-.19 and .29-.40.  The originals, new in the package come with a rubber plug (hose section) in the tailpiece. I had one that had steel wool stuffed in it. A better idea is to port the mounting flange to your engine exh. port dimensions and trim the exhaust exit for better performance. Stock, they are quite restrictive but can be made to work.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 09:18:39 PM »
There were three  Peace Pipe sizes. Eric got the idea of using one on the Fox .59 from seeing mine. I used the middle one and ground out all the baffles and made the walls very thin. Mine came out very light. I used the one I have on my Fox .59 swept Jet style stunt plane built in 1964. Then on three Fox .59 powered Vikings.I still have the jet and used the muffler last month on my AASr.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here