News:

• June 16, 2024, 10:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS 26 "Surpass" 4-Stroke  (Read 1471 times)

Offline bill marvel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis
OS 26 "Surpass" 4-Stroke
« on: May 05, 2007, 03:59:32 PM »
I can probably get my son back into flying at least some if he can make the transition gradually.  He has an almost unrun OS .26 Surpass 4-stroke that we fired up a few days ago.  It has an r/c carb on it.  Can someone make a control line venturi for it?  Would an OS .20/.25 needle valve assembly be appropriate?  What kind or size of aircraft would be suitable?  What prop?  Questions!!!  Questions!!!

regards,
bill marvel
Bill Marvel, AMA 793835
Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis

Welcome to Stunt Hangar

Alan Hahn

Re: OS 26 "Surpass" 4-Stroke
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 04:57:08 PM »
It will certainly work with the RC Carb, just wire it open or to the place it runs the best for you. I run my Saito 30 and 40 that way. Think of it as a variable venturi!

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 07:07:32 AM »
Bill - what Alan says is true.
I've been flying the Surpass .26 for more than 8 years and I've done most with the throttle wired open.
I also converted a few to a standard venturi but since the carburettor and intake pipe are one-piece,  this involves cutting the pipe in order to graft on a custom made venturi. Then, of course, you need a needle valve. I used the one from the OS .15.
I found no improvement in performance and the weight savings is a trivial issue.
Check the valve clearance then run the engine in for at least one-half hour to properly seat the valves and ring. For fuel you can use Brodak 10/23 or Powermaster 10/22. Follow the directions from OS.
After run in, recheck the valve clearance, reset if necessary and you're good to go.
Experiment with different props. 9-6 and 9-7  work well but you should find what works best for your setup.
The Surpass comes with a good glow plug but any 4S plug will work. I've test every one on the market and found no difference, other than cost!!

Bob Z.

Offline bill marvel

• Commander
  • Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
Bill - what Alan says is true.
I've been flying the Surpass .26 for more than 8 years and I've done most with the throttle wired open.
I also converted a few to a standard venturi but since the carburettor and intake pipe are one-piece,  this involves cutting the pipe in order to graft on a custom made venturi. Then, of course, you need a needle valve. I used the one from the OS .15.
I found no improvement in performance and the weight savings is a trivial issue.
Check the valve clearance then run the engine in for at least one-half hour to properly seat the valves and ring. For fuel you can use Brodak 10/23 or Powermaster 10/22. Follow the directions from OS.
After run in, recheck the valve clearance, reset if necessary and you're good to go.
Experiment with different props. 9-6 and 9-7  work well but you should find what works best for your setup.
The Surpass comes with a good glow plug but any 4S plug will work. I've test every one on the market and found no difference, other than cost!!

Bob Z.

Thanks, Bob and Alan.  That makes sense.  I'll pass it on to the boy (Ed).  It is absolutely the easiest path.  Bob, what airplanes have you mounted the Surpass on?

bill marvel
Bill Marvel, AMA 793835
Lafayette Esquadrille, St. Louis

Welcome to Stunt Hangar

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 05:20:13 AM »
Hi, Bill.

I have flown the Surpass .26 on a Flite Streak, Ringmaster, Sterling Mustang and Nobler.

I flew THREE of them on "The Plane ^ 3".

The best combination was the Mustang. It garnered me many trophies in OTS, Profile, Classic and yes, even AMA Advanced.

A two ounce metal tank with non-uniflow, atmospheric venting works best.

Don't bother with the muffler.

The Surpass definitely runs better on its side.

Bob Z.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 06:59:29 AM »
Hey, Bob,  want to swap one of those Surpass 26??

;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 09:03:11 AM »
I might have a spare - make me an offer.

I will check tonight.

A lot of my stuff is packed for my move to SC.

Bob Z.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:21:31 AM »
I might have a spare - make me an offer.

I will check tonight.

A lot of my stuff is packed for my move to SC.

Bob Z.

Bob  did you finish the 4cycle tri motor plane? what part of SC are you moving to?

Randy

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 11:29:25 AM »
Hi, Randy.
Unfortunatley, the tri-engined plane will be delayed as I am in the process of getting my house ready to sell.

Manning, SC - 70 miles directly west of Myrtle Beach, 1.8 miles east of SC exit 115.

Bob Z.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
Hi, Randy.
Unfortunatley, the tri-engined plane will be delayed as I am in the process of getting my house ready to sell.

Manning, SC - 70 miles directly west of Myrtle Beach, 1.8 miles east of SC exit 115.

Bob Z.

You're not going to be too far from me!  I am NW of Myrtle about 100 miles or so.  I'm on US Hwy 15-501 not too far from the SC border.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here