News:

• April 20, 2024, 07:30:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to prevent prop hub from spinning off when using an electric starter?  (Read 986 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
     Hello All:

How may I prevent an electric starter from spinning a safety nut off when attempting to start an engine?

Tia,

Frank

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
     Hello All:

How may I prevent an electric starter from spinning a safety nut off when attempting to start an engine?

Tia,

Frank

If you are talking about one of those big, round Harry Higgley units, do not use a prop washer with it. I believe it says on the package some where to leave the prop washer off, so that the wide face of the nut seats entirely on the face of the prop hub, then eat your Wheaties and tighten the nut securely. Most prop washers have a taper on the from side, and the safety nut doesn't make a lot of contact area that way. So, read the instructions.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
If the acorn nut is heavy enough, drill out the cross hole so you can use 5/32" music wire cross bar. The thinner wires just bend when you try to tighten the nut.

Motorman 8)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
    Hello:

Perhaps I should have stated that the setup on this safety nut, spinner, is attached to the crankshaft by a long screw that passes through the length of the nut and threads into the crankshaft.  All I can do is to tighten the screw as much as possible and hope for the best.  Thus far, no luck! The nut is placed directly against the prop sans any form of washer.

I should also mention that the engine is. 1.5cc Diesel that may have too much resistance, compression, for a spinner nut not to be spun off when using as e starter.
     Tia,

Frank 

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
    So in other words, the safety nut has a smooth bore hole through it's center which makes it a spinner. If the safety nut/spinner has enough wall thickness, drill a hole straight through so that the hole can be tapped for a fine thread set screw, one on each side, 180 degrees opposite from each other. Tighten the bolt through the spinner as tight as possible, the secure the set screws. Plug the holes above the set screws with some wax. You may want to check and make sure that the screw is not bottoming out in the crankshaft hole.
  Otherwise, learn to flip start the engine.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
DONT use a starter on a diesel u have a good chance of bending the rod.

put a heavy prop (8 or 9 in di) to get it started once worm and close to adjusted  go to your flying prop,and finish adjusting

what brand is it
rad racer

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
      Hello Bob and Dan:

Thanks for the prompt replies.

To answer a few questions.  The engine is  MVVS 1.5cc. That has a TD . 049 nva installed.  Perhaps this why I am having so much difficulty.  Perhaps a standard nva. would solve many problems.  What do you think about that idea?

I have been using an electric starter on this engine since I obtained it.  Thus far, I get NOTHING if I hand flip it thus the use of the e starter.  I would rather hand start the engine but sometimes that is not possible.

Thus far the best success that I have had, in to start the engine via the e starter and adjust the engine for best runnng conditions.  There is no way that I may restart the engine at the last running settings by hand or by e starter.  The best that I can do is to advance the compression 1/4 turn and use the e starter.  Hand flipping at the increased compression gives nothing!

When the engine is cold or hot, choking, a few drops of fuel in the venturi, a few drops of fuel on the side of the piston or a wet prime does nothing to aid in starting.  Oh yes, the fuel is good, 25% oil, 35% ether1.5% die and the remainder kero.

I watched my mate start his ED Racer, 1954, with six flips after it had not been run for fifty years and wonder, why can I not do the same.

Suggestions/Comments

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
too much oil   ,no more than 20% i wont tell u to do it but most  diesels will run fine on 15%oil..i run 18% on steel sleeves and or bushing front ends,a lot of them  will not stay running after a restart unless u open the needle 1/2 to one turns and maybe drop the nose a bit untill it worms up
 that should be a very easy engine to run.mine is very easy to start by hand

by TD needle assby do u mean the whole venturi assby.

try closing the needle give it a small exhost prime and a few drops in the venturi .it should pop and run out the prime ,do that a few times playing with the comp .after it will run out the prime open the needle a turn or two and do the same thing .continue opening the needle  until it starts running after it worms up a bit do your final adustments
rad racer

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
      Hello Bob and Dan:

Thanks for the prompt replies.

To answer a few questions.  The engine is  MVVS 1.5cc. That has a TD . 049 nva installed.  Perhaps this why I am having so much difficulty.  Perhaps a standard nva. would solve many problems.  What do you think about that idea?

I have been using an electric starter on this engine since I obtained it.  Thus far, I get NOTHING if I hand flip it thus the use of the e starter.  I would rather hand start the engine but sometimes that is not possible.

Thus far the best success that I have had, in to start the engine via the e starter and adjust the engine for best runnng conditions.  There is no way that I may restart the engine at the last running settings by hand or by e starter.  The best that I can do is to advance the compression 1/4 turn and use the e starter.  Hand flipping at the increased compression gives nothing!

When the engine is cold or hot, choking, a few drops of fuel in the venturi, a few drops of fuel on the side of the piston or a wet prime does nothing to aid in starting.  Oh yes, the fuel is good, 25% oil, 35% ether1.5% die and the remainder kero.

I watched my mate start his ED Racer, 1954, with six flips after it had not been run for fifty years and wonder, why can I not do the same.

Suggestions/Comments

I would try some of your friends fuel. You may 6think you have good fuel, but it's not.  Does your fuel run in the buddy's engine??Could be one of the components in the mix.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
yes, dan is right ,if u can try some of your buddys fuel before  doing anything else, and try yours in his engine .it will give u an idea of where u stand
rad racer

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
I triple the motion of what Dan and Bob have said: swap fuels to a known good mix (ie. you saw it run only minutes before in a working setup); use a higher inertia prop like we mentioned before in a different thread until you can find and fix your real issues; and stop using the electric finger to solve a problem it can't fix. If you can't get it to burp on just a prime---it ain't a-gonna run no matter how much electric finger you put to it. And you are going to damage it, sooner or later.

I will defer to the Bobber, but when I cold start a diesel, I back the compression screw out, reducing compression, not cranking it in as you described in your prior reply. That tells me that something else is either wrong with the engine, the setup, or the technique. I'm open to hearing how I'm wrong on this since we've been doing a fair bit of diesel testing here, and they don't always start right up, and I'm always looking for the easier start. In particular, when the engine fit goes away and there isn't the gas spring effect, the little buggers get very hard to start. The least expensive engines seem to suffer from this the most. (And the old, tired racing engines....) That doesn't mean they don't have good friction or pinch at the top. They likely will. But the gas pressure is low, so they don't snap thru to the expansion stroke. You try to flip and it gets stuck at TDC. However, you can get a similar feel if the piston is dry and the friction goes way up.

One of the reasons you can use less oil in a diesel than a glow of similar material construction (piston/liner) is that the kerosene has significant lubricity whereas alcohol does not.

When you have a particularly difficult time starting one, you need to consider whether you have enough ether left in the fuel. I travelled to the Nats one year--over 2200 miles--and over several mountain ranges. The fuel mix that I tested just days earlier would no longer even start the diesel engine in my plane. Unfortunately, I was convinced the fuel was good, and did not beg even one tankful from a competitor. So we missed out on flying while we screwed around with compression adjustments, head shims and other nonsense.... We finally mixed a new batch of fuel and it started right up. But then we had to take things apart to undo all the unnecessary stuff and get back to the point it ran good enough to race.

The Divot

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
      Hi Dave et al:

Thanks bigly for the replies!

I have been tempted to swap fuel with my mate for an A-B test but thus far, no luck.  He is using a 1-1-1 mix is all that I know.  My fuel works well in my other Diesels.

Without using a starter, I get NO sign of combustion.  I will try a larger prime the next session.  I am using an 8-4 wooden prop but will try to fit a plastic 9-4 in the future for additional flywheel effect.  I will also avoid any use of a starter.

The piston and cylinder fit looks good with good sealing ability.  I can not wait to get out and enjoy the Summer heat and humidity. Lol

Stay well,

Frank

Online GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Hello Frank The MVVS 1.5cc diesel has a crankshaft bolt that is two short and has a cross head to tighten. Replace it with a Allen head or hex head bolt as long as possible to engage as much thread while not bottoming out. It is the worst 1.5cc diesel I own in terms of starting but gives good power for a basic plain bearing engine. We fly a lot of 1.5 diesels here for Phantom Racing and 1/2A combat and would recommend a PAW twin ball raced (TBR) 1.5 or .09 or even a Mk17 for easy starting at a good price. A Fora 1.5 would be a nice to have but at  $175 is pricey unless you are using it for competition.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165560405998?hash=item268c2b4fee:g:6O4AAOSwWzRiwlGQ

Regards Gerald

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
When I was racing in F2C once we had a basic setting with the warm up prop we would switch to the racing prop.   Remember to hold nose down for the engine to warm up.  There were times we even put our hand over the cooling out let of the plane.   Also once the compression was set we would open the needle valve so many clicks using TeeDee needle valve assemblies.  As long as fuel was fresh no problems.  My problem now is getting ether. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
I'd vote for less castor and more ether. The ether is a problem, of course, and remember that if you're starting out with spray cans of John Deere starting fluid (which is said to have the most ether of all brands), it's not going to be pure ether. If you can obtain real ether, I'm sure some others would like to know how you managed to do so! Going to a simple 1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 mix should make that less of a factor. I'd probably go with 20% castor, 30% > 40% ether and the rest kerosene, but I gotta ask, does the instruction sheet have any suggestions?  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
      Hello Steve et. al.:

Thanks for the replies.

I did see see an instruction sheet for MVVS Diesel engines that stated that  45% ether content was suggested.  I will try that mix the next attempt.

Stay well,

Frank.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
      Hello Steve et. al.:

Thanks for the replies.

I did see see an instruction sheet for MVVS Diesel engines that stated that  45% ether content was suggested.  I will try that mix the next attempt.

Stay well,

Frank.

Whoa! 45% ether is way more than any diesel fuel mix I've ever seen. That would allow lower compression settings, making me wonder if the engine is known to be structurally weak. Really can't imagine that, from MVVS. Maybe that's just suggested for break-in?  ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here