News:

• April 24, 2024, 03:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to judge correct compression ratio?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How to judge correct compression ratio?
« on: June 29, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
I have done a search and haven’t got an answer to my question.

Specifically, with a given engine, fuel and prop, how do you determine if the compression ratio is optimum?

Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: How to judge correct compression ratio?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »
Larry,
For a given fuel/prop and airplane, set the engine to the style run you want (4-2-4 or high rpm/low pitch). Fly the airplane and listen to the engine note for crackling. If it crackles it indicates pre-ignition. You can then try a smaller prop and see if it runs smooth. Another option is to try a cooler plug. If that doesn't work you need to add a head shim to reduce the compression. If everything works right off the bat you can try a little more nitro, if that works then you can remove a head shim or change to a high compression head.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 02:00:04 PM »

Specifically, with a given engine, fuel and prop, how do you determine if the compression ratio is optimum?

More compression = more powerful overall, more powerful break, faster transition back and forth
less compression =less powerful overall  less powerful break, slower transistion back and forth
too much = misfire, or intermittent running, "kickbacks" when starting
too little = weak power overall, runways, hard to start because it doesn't want to fire

Larger props/lower rpm leads you to less compression
Smaller props/higher RPM leads you to more compression

More compression leads you to smaller venturis
Less compression leads you to larger venturis. Aldrich took this to an extreme, with incredibly low compression and gigantic venturis, to the point they sometimes wouldn't make it through the takeoff roll .

Too much nitro can put you over the top from very high to too much compression, but it is a *very weak* effect on stunt engines. For example, a stock ST46 can handle as much as 25% nitro or more with stock compression, but woe be unto you if you reduce the clearance even a little bit (like .005-.010). People are far too concerned about compression when adding nitro, if adding 5% more puts you over the top, you probably had too much for stunt in the first place.

Most people in stunt have somehow gotten it in their head that lowering the compression is a great thing, sometimes the less compression, the better. Lowering the compression in small amounts helps some engines (ST46/60) which are running on the ragged edge, but most current engines are perfectly fine as they come as far as compression goes. Most of the "head gasket patrol" are actually trying to fix a problem with venturi and the prop selection, and very frequently cause the problem they are trying to avoid (the dreaded "runaway).

What you want to do is get it running normally, and then you can adjust the compression with *tiny* changes to the head gaskets, like .005" at a time. And if you get more than about .015, you are probably trying to solve the wrong problem.

Brett

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 11:59:12 PM »
More compression = more powerful overall, more powerful break, faster transition back and forth
less compression =less powerful overall  less powerful break, slower transition back and forth
Pretty much spot on however I don't use nitro so can't say for sure what the optimum compression would be for any particular % of nitro.

For my use the optimum compression for zero nitro is in the (geometric) 13.5:1 area but nitro is rather sensitive to compression so any % will reduce from my optimum as more nitro is added.

Some time ago I started using a (muffled) Enya 61CXLRS which had a standard compression of 8.75:1 and gave a very nice 4-2-4 run. There was a 100 rev range (7800-7900) here it would switch between 4 and 2 stroking.

After about 40 flights I made a new head button where I had a compression of 12.4:1 (on the last skim I took off slightly too much but I figured near enough was good enough :) ). This extended the range of switching between 4 and 2 stroking to between 7500-8200. In flight the 4-2-4 run changed from very nice to just brilliant and the extra power was quite noticeable.

Before flying with the new head button though I'd done a back to back test on the test stand at peak revs to get some idea of any extra power. Revs with the 13.5" CF prop went from 8800 to 9500 which equates to an extra 26% more HP. However this does suggest a way to determine optimum compression using nitro by incrementally adding nitro while checking peak revs on a flight prop. When no extra revs are seen then play it safe and use the previous nitro % as a maximum. A little too much nitro will cause a slight drop in revs because the ignition timing is then too far advanced. If revs are still increasing with far more nitro that you intend to use then raise compression a little and try again.

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 12:41:38 AM »
Even with standard fuel it’s quite impossible to give an universal value for cr.
At first, you need to look at trapped cr, meaning stroke minus exhaust port heihgt. That way you get a little closer.
Another thing is scavenging efficiency, it has a huge effect on max. tolerable cr. For example, with baffle-piston engines I have ended up to about 10:1, but with my 6-port Schnürle it’s about 8,5:1 if I remember right. Same fuel, no nitro. I was a little surprised too. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »
Even with standard fuel it’s quite impossible to give an universal value for cr.
At first, you need to look at trapped cr, meaning stroke minus exhaust port heihgt. That way you get a little closer.

I tried to explain that to people for years, then gave up. Some things are just too ingrained and/or half-understood.

Brett

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 11:15:34 AM »
I half-understood the word "ingrained". 🤔

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »
I half-understood the word "ingrained". 🤔

Repeated so often and so mindlessly that it is now impossible to remove. I am far from an engine expert, unfortunately, most of the people to do consider themselves "engine experts" know only rules of thumb, how it used to work on flathead Fords, etc, and know absolutely nothing about the underlying physics, mechanics, or chemistry. I don't know that much about it, either, but I know enough that I am aware of that fact.

One thing I am 100% certain of - the compressed charge does not know or care whether it would have been compressed in some hypothetical situation that ignores the port timing, valve timing, etc. It cares about how much it was *actually* compressed in the situation at hand.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »

Easy, use a vernier adjustment and set it by ear.
Look at any model diesel to see the truth in this but beware the setting changes constantly.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 01:46:40 PM »
[quote author=Brett

One thing I am 100% certain of - the compressed charge does not know or care whether it would have been compressed in some hypothetical situation that ignores the port timing, valve timing, etc. It cares about how much it was *actually* compressed in the situation at hand.

Brett
[/quote]

True, but it does care about how the charge has been mixed during scavenging-compression process, and what's left bouncing about in cylinder and channels from previous explosion.

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »
In the ancient times I used the good old "moving tank" test bench to explore how that engine responses to the changes of the fuel pressure.
It needed only a 2' long silicone tube plus a centimeter scaled ruler, over and above the usual test bench.
And I noticed five significant points of that engine settlement (fuel, venturi dia., muffler, prop and some years later the shape and material of actually inserted deflector of the combustion chamber. I had not too much possibilities to try too much glowplugs, but mostly MOKI standard, or RC ).
These points were (from lowest to highest):
#1 The engine stops because of leaning
#2 The engine runs at the maximum RPM
#3 Minimum clear 2-stroking
#4 Maximum clear 4-stroking
#5 The engine stops because of richening

I tried to use the settlement resulting altitude difference of tankposition #1 & #2  and #4 & #5 to be maximum and #3 & #4 minimum.
In everyday's words: distance between #3 & #4 shows the sensitivity of the engine,
distance between #1 & #2  and #4 & #5 shows the tolerace of the engine against extreme fuelpressures.  Sensitivity and tolerance are antagonistic requirements and I noticed that lower compression rate can better fulfill these requirements than higher compression ratio.
I found this has to be lower than (nominally) 1:11, no more anyway. Let me say 1:9 is optimal for me.
The lost power can be recovered by less tight muffler, larger (and well-shaped) Venturi. (And -by my engines- steel deflector instead of aluminum, with narrower bridges). My .51 engine drinks 150 ccm (or 5.3 fl. oz) fuel for 390 seconds.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 03:35:25 PM by Istvan Travnik »

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 04:30:07 PM »
To further my point about vernier adjustable compression,  didn't a bloke called Duke Fox do the same with primary compression? I
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »
Quote from: Brett

Brett

True, but it does care about how the charge has been mixed during scavenging-compression process, and what's left bouncing about in cylinder and channels from previous explosion.

Yes, internal ballistics is definitely a real thing, actually, one of the most important things for stunt, anyway.

What is not real, or relevant, is as you said above - the strictly geometric compression ratio, with no consideration of the port timing or valve timing.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 05:24:03 PM »
To further my point about vernier adjustable compression,  didn't a bloke called Duke Fox do the same with primary compression? I

As far as I can tell (and taking due consideration of the generally bullshit nature of people's old stories*, particularly the rather remiss recitations of the exploits of Duke Fox's life), he did it with the case volume rather than the head volume. And found it didn't make much difference.

Of course, in the context we were discussing (i.e. glow stunt engines, no doubt split from the FAI fuel thread), your goal is to avoid the regime that diesels count on to run. Set up a Fox 35 to run as a diesel, and I give the crankshaft about 2 revolutions before it lets go. 

Brett

*Aldrich and Palmer used to wear T-Shirts that said "the older I get, the better I used to fly"! I figure after about 25-30 years, the stories may start, shall we say, "diverging" from strict reality.

**From "Duke Mixture", 1988:

A second popular belief that just isn't so: "Reducing the crankcase volume of a 2 cycle model airplane motor will improve its power." My observations didn't jibe with this theory. so I devised a test. I fitted all unported cylinder and piston into a rear cover so I could pull the piston in or out while the motor was running, thus varying the crankcase volume. Result: A very slight increase in R.P.M. as the crankcase volume was increased. This I didn't expect, so the test was repeated with several other Fox motors - and a couple if brand X motors. In every case maximum R.P.M. was achieved with somewhat greater case volume than stock. Conclusion: The "authorities" on hopping up a motor were just plain wrong.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:27:21 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 08:34:37 PM »
Easy, use a vernier adjustment and set it by ear.
Look at any model diesel to see the truth in this but beware the setting changes constantly.
That's essentially how I arrived at my optimum compression for zero nitro. All I did was make a variable compression glow head for my Enya 60X and gradually raised the compression while it was running and checking for rev rise until revs peaked out.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »
  ................, he did it with the case volume rather than the head volume.................
Just to be clear here Primary volume is case volume.

Of course, in the context we were discussing (i.e. glow stunt engines, no doubt split from the FAI fuel thread), your goal is to avoid the regime that diesels count on to run. Set up a Fox 35 to run as a diesel, and I give the crankshaft about 2 revolutions before it lets go. 

Now that made me smile but left wondering if the 2 revolutions were simply the prime in the start sequence!

**From "Duke Mixture", 1988:

A second popular belief that just isn't so: "Reducing the crankcase volume of a 2 cycle model airplane motor will improve its power." My observations didn't jibe with this theory. so I devised a test. I fitted all unported cylinder and piston into a rear cover so I could pull the piston in or out while the motor was running, thus varying the crankcase volume. Result: A very slight increase in R.P.M. as the crankcase volume was increased. This I didn't expect, so the test was repeated with several other Fox motors - and a couple if brand X motors. In every case maximum R.P.M. was achieved with somewhat greater case volume than stock. Conclusion: The "authorities" on hopping up a motor were just plain wrong.

I see primary volume as being part of a Ruminants digestive tract, the fuel is on its way to being digested and to make big power you need a big stomach.
(Analogy ended.)

But the above quote from Duke gives that an RPM increase was noted when the volume was increased. Now does this mean the rpm  increase was only apparent during the action of a piston pull or was it a steady state event?

Methinks that primary compression is basically ruled by the close prescense of the backplate that obviates the big end of the rod from slipping back off the single overhung crank.

Many don't realise that a two stroke engine once started will happily run with gometrically infinite large primary volume if you get the pulses right and is withessed by the outboard racing fraternity having reed blocks break off mid racewith the nothing amiss noted during the race and there has been a recorded case of a disk valve in a model engine failing during a run and it kept on going.

So a working volume can be defined by areas of pressure as well as a physical limit and that complicates things.

Cheers.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 08:13:34 PM »
how it used to work on flathead Fords, etc,

The O H V is just a passing phase . the side Valve will return .

or

Save your confederate money, boys, the South will rise again! |

Actually , the side valve is much derided . Met a type who said 27 mpg ( imperial , 21.6 US  :( )  600 mile trip .
Ford ' House ' ( 1947 Sedan ).

These Olde Cowes wernt a total disaster . Some Said 155 with a Tail wind . ( With fairing ) . Cal's camera bike in O A Sunday was a S V ,

incedently , from the horses mouth , the fatal Suzuki Seizure was from F'ing with methanol , against the advice of the locals .

A Side Valves power charateristics might be highly usefull for F2B , FLAT Tourque Curve .

37 60 horse is only one that appoaches THAT ! .  :(

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_specs-85early.htm

That Said , one would assume a CDI ' Spark ' ignition , spark plug NOT glow plug , would provide good speed control , again for F2B .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS , if it trys to take your fingers off , it might be to high . 21/40 on 20 % N , 11 x 4 , youd come home with your fingers raw .
A determined belt was fine . With C'Case Pressure a 9 mm ( Combat Intake ) was fine . Sounded superbe , & on the Std. 46 intake,
suction .

If its always kicking back presumeably the plugs to hot or CR / Nitro to high . 20 % will suck the juice but the Tourque & output is impressive
A few hot shots in the antipodes dont mind 20 % , say it cools it better ? . Certainly nitro makes for less critical needling, on peasant engines .
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:30:51 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 01:26:53 PM »
But the above quote from Duke gives that an RPM increase was noted when the volume was increased. Now does this mean the rpm  increase was only apparent during the action of a piston pull or was it a steady state event?

I am pretty sure, given what he was looking for, it was at a larger fixed position. But I have long since stopped trying to sort out myth and rumor from reality for a lot of these old stories, I have heard the stories change (always in the direction of "better") so often that it's probably impossible to determine the truth from the "truth". This is particularly true for the exploits of some of the ancient (undisputed) masters like Duke Fox, George Aldrich, etc. If someone wants to take some "ground truth" (say, flying at 7.5 seconds/lap in a 40 mph wind like "they did all the time") on the legends, then go ahead. When you fail to replicate the results, people will say, "hah-hah, look at the big-time experts, GMA was a  lot smarter than you guys!".

It's like asking who would win a World Series between the '27 Yankees and the '12 Giants, or the 66 Packers VS '16 Patriots - you will never get a real answer (although you know it deep down - check the physical stats (like average height and weight) and that alone will tell you what you need to know).

And it was moot anyway in this case, it was such a weak effect that it irrelevant in the context of field adjustments. The one case where there was an unequivocal improvement (stuffer backplate on a Fox 35) has nothing to do with the performance, but with the longevity, in this case, keeping the conrod straight on the crankpin).

The real compression (i.e. the cylinder) is pretty easy and fortunately, most of the work has already been done at the factory. Unfortunately, a whole lot of people think they know WAY better and then proceed to take Formula 1 engines and try to turn them into steam locomotives.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 05:05:11 AM »
I'd like to see how that's done.
Google FMV engine article  down load that and look at a push pull head and imagine a glow plug in the centre of a hollow vernier screw that is tapped into the contra piston.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
Easier said than done, Chris.

If you think that the added complication of your precision adjustment is worth all the form discontinuations, heat gradients and hot spots, go for it.
But I strongly feel that the gadget itself will cause more instability than what it can fix.
L

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »
Easier said than done, Chris.

If you think that the added complication of your precision adjustment is worth all the form discontinuations, heat gradients and hot spots, go for it.
But I strongly feel that the gadget itself will cause more instability than what it can fix.
L
Does that mean you are going to try it then? ~~>
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »
No need.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 03:20:56 PM »
Does that mean you are going to try it then? ~~>

You mean, put in a contra-piston, etc, like a diesel? Why would you do that (for stunt, at least).  It's an interesting thought experiment, but impractical, since there's no reason to think a variable version would work the same as the final fixed version.  It's not that touchy to need ultra-fine adjustment, and you still have to set based on test flights  - which is easily accomplished just changing the shim or different head buttons. You aren't going to figure out the right answer with bench tests, any more than Duke's test (which would be entirely ambiguous at best, since he didn't check the flight performance). With current competitive piped stunt engines like the RO-Jett or the PA, the small adjustments tend to have small to completely undetectable effects, at least over any practical range, and you generally want as much as you can get without causing detonation or misfire.

Brett
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 09:20:33 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 08:08:45 PM »
OK, this is how I did it with my experimental Enya 60X. The adjusting slots in the head were made to suit a Cox spanner. Combustion pressures on a large engine like this meant that I had to bring it back to idle to make an adjustment then back to peak revs again. I used a 32TPI thread so turning from one head bolt to the next raised or lowered the head by almost exactly .005". The normal black rubber O ring handled all the test stand running plus many RC flights with no signs of wear or overheating but a similar head on a Magnum melted on the first run. A Viton seal fixed it.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 05:38:13 PM »
Nice! Did you have any trouble with galling the threads, or use some slickery-trickery to prevent it?  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »
No, I had no problems with the threads. I just gave them and the O ring a dose of castor although if I'd had any at the time I'd probably have used some copper grease on the threads.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here