News:

• April 26, 2024, 04:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How much shaft runout "TIR" is acceptable?  (Read 3555 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How much shaft runout "TIR" is acceptable?
« on: February 24, 2019, 12:23:47 PM »
       Hello All:

How much can a crankshaft be bent before it is unusable?  I checked one of mine it has about .003" when measured at the end of the threaded part of the shaft.  I get a bit of vibration that I find intolerable. How much "bend" is within limits?

I measured the runout by placing the shaft in the case, securing the case and used my dial indicator set to get a reading while turning the crank from the back.  Is this a proper way to determine shaft runout? I no longer have v blocks let alone a lathe to do this type of work. 

Suggestions/comments?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: How much shaft runout "TIR" is acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 08:38:18 PM »

Its called the subtle application of brute force .

Hope youve got a spare .  S?P

Some of those chinese things with pressed in crankpins apparently have non hardened crankshafts , which bend , and unbend , easy .

Severely bent hardned one'd obviously likely crack or snap if through a matter of degrees ( A/C Vs Concrette )

A plate glass & feeler guage / packers , drill bits ( accurate sizeing ) and a piece of chalk or felt marker might get you somewhere .

Then youll be ready for the salt flats .

There is a vauge similarity in princaple at least .

Pieces me off when they rewrite history .
He'd dropped a amyl nitrate heart pill in the tank , and the TYRES were sawed off knobblies Rasped Round , as they were the toughest cases avaliable . Good old Kiwi Injunuity . Just about writen of by ' modern consumer society city slicker p brain addled disco turkey disco wombles .

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 12:15:35 AM »
Frank,

Can you describe again how you are measuring the runout?

"I measured the runout by placing the shaft in the case, securing the case and used my dial indicator set to get a reading while turning the crank from the back.  Is this a proper way to determine shaft runout? I no longer have v blocks let alone a lathe to do this type of work."

From just this statement, I am not sure you are going to get a measurement that means anything. So unless you know it hit the ground, the initial measurement of .003" is not convincing me that a perceived vibration problem is from a bent crank. Further, I can't tell if you are actually trying to measure off the threads, which is not useful.

Trying to use an engine case with probably .002 to .008" diametral clearance (depending on engine manufacturer and condition) is not a good way to try to set up for a TIR measurement. I'm sure that if you had an accurate test indicator on it, you could sense this.

There was a prior thread where most of this was discussed. I'd have to go look for it.

I have straightened a few cranks, and with a decent setup (no, I don't own a machine shop....) you can be pretty sure a crank journal and threaded shaft are true within .001" or so. If the crank was turned and ground between centers (ie. the end of the crank is drilled) then it is easier to accurately set up to measure. The last one I did was an Enya and was easy to check with test indicators mounted on centers.

The other thing that can be done is to run the calculations of the shaking forces due to a certain amount of error. But once you have the numbers, it doesn't translate easily into "...it feels kinda rough to me." But if I was making engines, it is something that I'd want to know.

If you have more vibration than you think you should have based on a similar engine, you should make darn sure the prop isn't your problem. Not only unbalance, but centered hole, equal blades, and tracking error.

One of the best mass produced props around are the APC designs. About half of them that I have purchased are a problem though, because they can't be bothered to drill the hole accurately. It is a shame, because the design seems almost uniformly excellent....

Dave

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 04:38:21 PM »

One of the best mass produced props around are the APC designs. About half of them that I have purchased are a problem though, because they can't be bothered to drill the hole accurately. It is a shame, because the design seems almost uniformly excellent....

Dave

FWIW, the "hole" through an APC prop is supposed to be a clearance one , not a locating one.
It is drilled after moulding.  (If it needs to be larger to clear your shaft then you should drill it out.)
This is necessary because of the way they fill the props from the centre, which also provides optimal material flow and re-enforcing fiber orientation.
The hub is solid as the prop comes out of the mould, no through hole.

There is a recess in the rear of the prop that is moulded in.
They provide rings with the props that go in that recess to centre the prop on a shaft.

Pat MacKenzie
MAAC 8177

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 02:26:22 PM »
FWIW, the "hole" through an APC prop is supposed to be a clearance one , not a locating one.
It is drilled after moulding.  (If it needs to be larger to clear your shaft then you should drill it out.)
This is necessary because of the way they fill the props from the centre, which also provides optimal material flow and re-enforcing fiber orientation.
The hub is solid as the prop comes out of the mould, no through hole.

There is a recess in the rear of the prop that is moulded in.
They provide rings with the props that go in that recess to centre the prop on a shaft.

Pat MacKenzie

In that case, APC should drill the hole bigger and thus make it mandatory to use the rings that come with the propeller! Which, by the way, don't seem to have come with ANY of the "glow" propellers I've bought. Which is a bunch! Maybe the LHS takes them out of the bag the props don't seem to come in?

When I was a lathe operator at Boeing, I did a little experiment with collet chucks. I put a dowel pin in the chuck and turned it by hand. The standard metal style collets typically ran about .003" out of true, while the "rubber collet" chuck was about .001" runout. Their lathes were rebuilt in-house and were crap, FYI. When the tailstock isn't parallel to the ways and could see it visually....you just know it's junk. I figured they were trying to challenge us... y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 03:47:42 PM »

I have never heard or seen any such ring, including when we visited the factory. Where do you get them?

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 07:54:14 PM »
   I have never heard or seen any such ring, including when we visited the factory. Where do you get them?

Brett

Check the APC display at the local hobby shop. They usually come with the electric props, but I believe that they are sold separately. I don't think they come with I/C props. Been a while since I worked at the local shop so memory is faded. They are on a sprue from molding, much like the adapters that come with plastic spinners. Those and a prop reamer come in handy.A good shop that has plastic modeling stuff will have plastic tubing in many sizes that cane be cut up or machined into prop spacers also.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 07:57:17 PM »
I've written and scrapped two different replies to Pat's post. I disagree with the implication that they expect you to drill out all props (see their engineering notes) and bush them in order to be able to use their props.

APC ships bushings with the 1/2A props that I have purchased. Sizes like 4.2x4's.  Of the hundreds of other props and sizes I have purchased, mostly direct from the factory, there are no bushings supplied.  No, hobby shops are not "losing them."  They offer metric "adapters" (bushings), slow flyer adapters, and e-flight adapters. Nothing that would work with most glow props.

I maintain that they are making a superior prop, and doing very poorly at post-mold finishing. There does not appear to be a valid reason for that mediocre effort. If you set up to drill, you could set up to drill with a guide or fixture and get it done right.

This is actually not an unusual situation for machine shops. They put the lowest skill labor on cleanup, deburring, inserts, etc. Still, the consumers are not impressed, although they will have their apologists....

Dave

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 11:04:15 PM »
     Check the APC display at the local hobby shop. They usually come with the electric props, but I believe that they are sold separately. I don't think they come with I/C props. Been a while since I worked at the local shop so memory is faded. They are on a sprue from molding, much like the adapters that come with plastic spinners. Those and a prop reamer come in handy.A good shop that has plastic modeling stuff will have plastic tubing in many sizes that cane be cut up or machined into prop spacers also.

I have been to every hobby shop within 200 miles of here (that sell APC props) and never heard or seen such a thing. Nor did I see anything like that at the APC factory. No one has ever mentioned it, to my knowledge, before this thread.  Additionally, the premise is wrong, because the hole on, say, a 9-4 APC, are a "body" fit on the shaft, so even if you had a sleeve, you couldn't use it without also reaming out the hole. In fact, as I recall, the fixture for drilling the hole had a boss that was supposed to center it up so the hole would be in the middle. This was the 11.5-4 "40VF prop", the occasion was getting them to make a 12.25-3.75 for the 46VF.

I will take your word for it that this exists, but it is definitely news to me and will be news to almost everyone else, going back 25+ years.

Brett

p.s. actually, where can I get some of these? No on-line retailers seem to have anything like this for 1/4" shafts, and APC shows others (classic shaft convertor sleeves) for special applications, but not as a baseline installation for IC engines. One set for electric and the other for "slow flyers".

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 05:14:48 AM »
Sorry for the late response.
I am way more familiar with APC props for electrics, so I just sort of assumed that they provided the rings with all their props. :-[

The explain how to centre their props on their web site. Basic idea is to open up the drilled portion but leave the moulded in recess in the rear untouched.
If that recess is too big then use some sort of spacer. Either one of theirs or something else :)

Details here, including the image below:
https://www.apcprop.com/technical-information/technical-support-advisories/

Centering Propellers on Motor Shaft

We recommend that APC propellers be centered on the motor shaft in the manner illustrated below. The through hole should be oversized for each particular motor shaft so that only the adapter ring (locating ring) centers the propeller.

If the recess is the correct size, then they suggest a tapered reamer to enlarge the hole only forward of the rear face:

Engine Shaft Hole Alignment

The propeller hub aft surface and aft hole are precisely defined during molding. However, post-molding shaft hole drilling may induce minor angular miss-alignment of the propeller with the engine shaft. This hole miss-alignment is avoided by use of a tapered reamer to slightly enlarge the propeller hole forward of the aft surface. This causes the propeller to precisely register with the engine shaft at the aft surface and hole.

Hope this clears things up (and shows I was not making anything up :) )

Pat MacKenzie

MAAC 8177

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 10:17:54 AM »
Sorry for the late response.
I am way more familiar with APC props for electrics, so I just sort of assumed that they provided the rings with all their props. :-[

The explain how to centre their props on their web site. Basic idea is to open up the drilled portion but leave the moulded in recess in the rear untouched.
If that recess is too big then use some sort of spacer. Either one of theirs or something else :)

The principle is perfectly straightforward, I think we all could have figured out that you could do that. But where is the spacer required to, say, center a conventional prop on a 1/4" engine shaft? As far as I can tell, they don't make any such thing, and I am not aware of anyone else doing it, either.

I just checked three props at random. On the first, the only thing that you could center up on, on the driven side, is approximately 1/2" in diameter. Unfortunately, it also has 4 ejector pin marks that protrude into the 1/2 diameter, and do not protrude equally into the recess. So, you couldn't get a 1/2" purported centering ring into the bore, and if you forced it, it would also be off-center. This is presumably the same recess that the hole-drilling jig uses to center up on, so the drilled hole is off-center by however asymmetrical the pins make it. That was always the diagnosis for the hole-off-center issue until now.

Second prop has a nominal 5/16" recess molded in, and the ejector pin marks are well away from it. But it also has a significant molded-in ridge on one side. A purported 5/16 centering ring would fit if you carved off the ridge, however, this one I know for sure centered up on the molded recess in the drilling jig, and the hole is therefore always in the center.

Third prop was had a third set of  different dimensions.

Given all that, I am *exceptionally skeptical* that they had any intent to have people make or buy "centering rings" for each different type of prop - that they themselves don't make or sell, or mention in any way (for conventional props)  - and that the holes they drill themselves on a jig are just for "clearance". Maybe they do it for electric because of the erzatz metric shaft sizes, but not for the main line of props. The fact that no one at the factory said a word about it when we were there, and the first time I have ever heard anything about it was yesterday, in this thread, also suggests that this is specific to the new electric and slow-flyer props and was never the intent.

Brett

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 12:09:15 PM »
Not the large recess with the ejector pins in it, but the smaller counterbore, usually 3/8" ID.
That counterbore is part of the mould so will be centered. But the drilled portion is done post-moulding so won't be very accurate.

So if you want to use it with 1/4" shaft then you need a 1/4" ID and 3/8" OD ring.
And best to open up the drilled portion of the prop so that the shaft only locates off the adapter ring.

Don't know what to say as to why other are not aware of this, but I have known as long as I have been using APC props.
 Which has been a long time, I still have some of their piped 40 props I ran in 94.
I think they came on the market in the mid to late 80's? Perhaps it was mentioned then?

(Prop in the picture is an 11x5 non-electric one. The drilled portion is noticeably off centre relative to the moulded in counterbore.))
MAAC 8177

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 02:44:36 PM »
A reamer follows the hole. It is good at taking off small amounts and achieving precision diameters.

A prop that already has an off-center hole in it means that the reamer will follow the drilled hole. So you must bore it out, or drill from the molded ID side, when there would have been no need to do so. Until they screwed up the hole.

I'm sure APC is glad that at least one customer does not believe they have a post-molding quality issue.

With so much excellent work put into the blade design, and the accuracy and quality of the mold, you would think it would disappoint those folks when the last person to add value to the part--didn't.

Dave

PS--Kinda laughing here about the bushing "fixing everything."  As one example, on a 6.5x6 prop package, it says "For a 1/4" shaft, use a 9/32" + 5/16" bushing." Let's say I did. And bored it perfectly. But now I have .016" slop in the shaft-to-prop alignment. Wooo-Hooo. It's still going to be mounted crooked. The engineers, the factory, and the webpage marketeers are not all on the same page.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 03:15:35 PM »
Dave is right ,the 6.5 -5,5.5,6&6.5 came with spacers,or as [ call then sleeves
rad racer

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »
Bob,

The 1/2A stuff came with bushings. None of the 6.5 series props I bought came with bushings. I'm looking at a couple dozen packages--brand new from the factory--and none of them have bushings. If yours did--well I'll be doggoned.  The label on the 6.5 packages tells you what size sleeve they imagine you need--if you care to have up to .016" of mislocation slop. I wouldn't do that for a prop that's turning in the 20,000 rpm range....

Dave

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 12:22:17 AM »
Hi.

Go to their website, apcprop.com > Technical information > Technical support advisories > Balancing and installation OR Centering propellers on motor shaft.

The whole pro hole gate is quite well explained..

L

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 12:57:08 AM »
Lauri,

Been there, read that. Bottom line is what they say themselves in that very section--that the holes "...are sometimes not as straight as they should be."

No one is arguing that a resourceful modeler with a drill press can't make a fixture to align and bore out the hole registered to the molded ID. But if a resourceful modeler could do it, why can't a manufacturer? They are already setting it up to drill the crooked hole that they currently provide.

If you race in something like nine different categories, most of which require different props, and then throw in some stunt sizes as well, it becomes a full time job prepping propellers and keeping a large variety of custom bushings. Which seems unnecessary if they would upgrade their drilling operation.

Dave

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 01:22:56 AM »
Correct, Dave, of course.
A simple well-guided drill could do perfect work but it looks like they do it by hand. L

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 03:28:03 AM »
Dave is correct.

I remember spacers only with bags of half-A and smaller APC props. Just looked in my prop box and found a handful of those spacers in the APC 5X3 bag.

There are two sizes molded on each end of the H shaped sprue frame. I didn't want to cut them out to see which props they fit. Suspect there were only two commonly used shaft sizes in small US made engines at that time.

I remember watching for prop shipments at the LHS where I worked part time, to be sure the kids tasked with hanging new props on the rack did not throw the spacers away! My boss was a good friend of mine, and told me they usually threw the spacers out, if he did not watch them.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 04:33:32 AM »
When you read the info at website, they say that spacer rings come only with E-props.
They also have spacer rings separately available, in a molded frame like Bill said. Both in metric and in silly sizes. L

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 01:07:59 PM »
    I was referring to them as shaft adapters, not as something necessary to install them on a typical 1/4" shaft. Props get reamed out for all sorts of reasons, and it's nice to have adapters so you can put them on 1/$" shafts again. But again, not necessary to use them to put a 12.25 X 3.75 prop on your ST.51. I have seen APC props with the center hole severely off center, like you could see it by looking at them. As far as I have ever heard they have always stood behind them and replaced as requested. This is why I have always like the great Planes magnetic prop balancer. I modified mine with shorter rods, and use a Prather finger balancer in the fixture instead of the rod and cones that they come with. I have had them be out of balance! The finger balancers are machines metal and so far all have been true. This set up helps find props with holes off center or might be really out of balance across the width of the prop. Works pretty well for us shade tree mechanics. Almost no friction. If a prop is really true, centered and balanced, you should be able to put the prop any where on the clock and have it stay still with no movement.  At the very least, if a props shows that it's balanced, turn it over 180 degrees and check it that way. If the hole is off center, it will roll around. If it's centered and balanced, it should display the same as it did the other way. You can split the hair pretty fine this way.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 01:48:12 PM »
Both in metric and in silly sizes. L

If only we had adopted metric, we could have invented the airplane, the supersonic airplane, landed men on the moon, become the decisive factor in two world wars, created the atom bomb and the thermonuclear bomb, put thousands of satellites into space, created the phone system and the internet, created the most fundamentally innovative form of government in 2000 years,  and be the basis of the world economy.

Brett

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »
Humor for sure is metric.

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 05:23:24 PM »
Lauri, perhaps you’re unaware of the now-fashionable need for Trigger Warnings when discussing sensitive topics.  ;)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 05:36:37 PM »
Humor for sure is metric.

Tough to get laughs in Finland this time of year! Don't worry, the sun will come up in a few weeks.

Brett

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 09:09:09 PM »
The website just isn't a full explanation in short form of what they offer. Where they know you have to have a bushing (adapter), they may actually include it with the prop. And that does not show up in their listing of the three adapter sizes offered separately. The 1/2A props are in this category. Apparently, the gate (injection hole) has to be bigger in diameter than any conceivable 1/2A crank or bolt (like the Cox .125" 5-40) so to avoid having their customers search for mini-bushings, a set of bushings (adapters) comes with the prop.

Dave

PS--I'm just a SoCal boy, but what I heard is that the reason reindeers come in herds is so that the arctic winds won't blow them over. And that they have to stand up 'cause the frozen tundra would otherwise damage via frostbite the important reproductive apparatus. Any reindeer so anti-social to either leave the herd or get kicked out gets removed from the gene pool, and those so lazy or ignorant that it would lay down on tundra likewise gets removed from the gene pool. It is fortuitous that winter comes at least once a year to the Nordic countries, to allow this culling to happen frequently enough so that individual "anti-social" reindeers get rooted out, so to speak, before widespread mental deviations occur.* Therefore, since reindeer have not invented barns, indoor heating, electric blankets or jet aircraft which could shuttle them to Florida USA, and since deviant thinking is not in their nature to celebrate, their genome is destined to outlive the human animal, global warming notwithstanding. At least, that is what I heard....although this theory was immediately disputed in New York on social media, and was claimed to be a short-sighted, out-moded way of thinking, and had little to do with the truth especially because it did not acknowledge the root cause as lack of guaranteed reindeer wages regardless of employment, and the underlying cause as climate change. I don't really understand what that connection is--I just thought the theory had to do with frozen reindeer balls?

* Not all species were so lucky. Take the lemmings for example. When widespread social deviations occur within a population of lemmings, and they cannot master enough verbal calls to explain that there are not sufficient berries and lichens to eat unless they all participate in gathering them, the heretofore stable majority tends to run off a cliff just to get away from the deviant thinking. Thus, the population requires multiple generations to normalize behaviors, which despite the short gestation period and  massive birth rates, never quite overcomes the cycle.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:47:57 PM by Dave Hull »

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 12:52:22 AM »
[quote

PS--I'm just a SoCal boy, but what I heard is that the reason reindeers come in herds is so that the arctic winds won't blow them over. And that they have to stand up 'cause the frozen tundra would otherwise damage via frostbite the important reproductive apparatus. Any reindeer so anti-social to either leave the herd or get kicked out gets removed from the gene pool,..

I can see a similarity in behaviour here at SH.
But I'm in middle of Europe now, and I saw the sun briefly last week.
I sure miss Finland every now and then, especially reindeer meat. Yummy. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 01:14:09 AM »
[quote

PS--I'm just a SoCal boy, but what I heard is that the reason reindeers come in herds is so that the arctic winds won't blow them over. And that they have to stand up 'cause the frozen tundra would otherwise damage via frostbite the important reproductive apparatus. Any reindeer so anti-social to either leave the herd or get kicked out gets removed from the gene pool,..

I can see a similarity in behaviour here at SH.
But I'm in middle of Europe now, and I saw the sun briefly last week.
I sure miss Finland every now and then, especially reindeer meat. Yummy. L

Rudolf was particularly good.

Brett

Offline Warren Wagner

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • Bradenton, FL
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
Hi gang,

Yes, the reducing adapters do exist.   I found several props with the included adapters in a poly bag,
as they came packaged from APC.
The only ones I could find that were bagged and included the adapters, were electric applications.

Obviously I've used several of these props in the past, because I have left over adapters saved in
a parts cabinet.

It's curious, but I found none of these adapters included with IC props.

Cheers.

Warren Wagner
Warren Wagner
AMA 1385

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here