News:

• April 16, 2024, 06:17:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Horizontal tank setup - does it make a difference  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Mike Quinn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Horizontal tank setup - does it make a difference
« on: September 05, 2021, 12:28:45 PM »
Hello

Does the horizontal tank position make a difference to engine setup.  Thinking of profile plans I’ve seen where tank is mounted on the inside circle side of fuselage, others where it’s embedded in the profile fuselage itself or more usually on the surface on the outside of the circle.

Cheers

Mike

Online gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Horizontal tank setup - does it make a difference
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 12:58:23 PM »
 Mike, I have profile models with the tanks mounted on either side of the fuselage.( to keep the nose short) I run Sullivan slant tanks with the pickup line with a clunk. I run muffler pressure on all my setups. I have Zero problems. Been doing it this way for years now. I'm building a twin right now that has the tanks on the opposite sides of the engine to keep the engines closer to the wing. I dont anticipate any issues....Gene

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 01:27:51 PM »
Hello

Does the horizontal tank position make a difference to engine setup.  Thinking of profile plans I’ve seen where tank is mounted on the inside circle side of fuselage, others where it’s embedded in the profile fuselage itself or more usually on the surface on the outside of the circle.

Definitely makes a difference in the fuel supply pressure, and how it changes in flight. I will elaborate later...

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 04:33:57 PM »
I haven't noticed a tremendous difference with mounting the tank on the inboard side of the fuselage; to the extent that I can tell a difference, it's better.  You do have to adjust the engine a bit differently on the ground, as it richens up when it starts going (or at least leans out less).  This is one of those "I haven't noticed much" things, because my usual approach to a first flight on an airframe is to aim for too rich, and then sneak up on the engine's happy spot on subsequent flights.

(Edit) The theory on the inboard tank setup is that because there's some head between the tank and the engine, it's actually pressurizing the fuel a little bit due to centrifugal force (or centripetal acceleration -- take your pick).  That pressurization goes up with flight speed, so if you're adjusted a bit rich of high speed, slowing down leans you out and speeds you up, while speeding up richens you up and slows you down.  I've only done this on pressure tank setups, but it certainly seems convincing -- and it makes finding a home for a tank on a short-nosed airplane much, much easier.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 06:32:53 PM »
Lauri Mallila may chime in here as I think that he has more hard information than most on horizontal distance between jet and head positions.
Basically it can be used as a gravity driven speed regulator.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 08:02:54 PM »
--snip--
 With outboard tank, you must set the engine rich before take-off. It's difficult to get a reliable RPM reading like that, so you loose in the precision of repeatability. That is one.
 With inboard tank, you must set the engine lean before take-off, and when you overheat the engine, it's also not in the most stable condition, and also it takes a longer time to stabilise to flying temperature. That is two.
--snip--
In practise, we have found a good starting point for tank lateral position to be so, that the pickup point (outer rear corner of tank) is 6...8mm more "out" than the end of fuel post in venturi, measured from fuselage centreline.
--snip--

One of these days I want to build a profile with a good-sized hole behind the engine, and an inboard mounted tank with a sump that sticks through the hole.  Then you could have your cake and eat it to.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 08:47:26 PM »
One of these days I want to build a profile with a good-sized hole behind the engine, and an inboard mounted tank with a sump that sticks through the hole.  Then you could have your cake and eat it to.

I'll bet if you search out the carrier section, you will see such a system designed by Bill Calkins, I believe for a Guardian Profile carrier model. It's a true chicken hopper set up I think and works very well. Feeds well for high speed and for low speed, and I see no reason it would not work for a stunt model. I have always thought it would be good for a short nosed design like a Shoestring and hide the main tank in the inboard cheek cowling. The only critical thing about that would be position of the hopper tank.
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here