News:

• May 27, 2024, 07:40:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya .30 anybody?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline bruce finley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Enya .30 anybody?
« on: February 24, 2015, 01:17:24 PM »
Bought two of these, have been breaking one in on the test stand, getting to be a 1-2 flip start engine.  I WAS going to installed my trusty L&J Fox 35 in the nobler arf, but now I'm thinking going with this Enya.  They say is enough for a 35-40 size model.  Anybody using this Enya 30? H^^ H^^

This one is the plain bushed bearing, not the BB model.

Offline phil myers

• Commander
Re: Enya .30 anybody?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »
Hi Bruce, these are nice engines and very well made. Mine was a little sod to break in. So much compression I had to loosen the plug in order to flip over. Once the beast was going, I'd tighten the plug as quickly (and carefully!) as I could. Mine is in a 'Cobra' 45" wingspan with a finished weight of 34 oz. I had to reduce the lines from 60ft to 55. Not quite enough power otherwise.. something to consider. Cheers Phil

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 02:19:16 PM »
I'd consider the SS30 more than ample for anything you'd traditionally use a Fox 35 with.  I've got one in a 47.5", 37 oz 'Miss BJ'.  5% nitro, 60' lines, and plenty of power.  One of my favourite smaller engines. 

Phil, something is a bit odd with yours, both the break-in and the apparent lack of power. What fuel, prop, rpm etc are you using?

Offline phil myers

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
Steve, you may be right about my ss30. I have 2 ss25s that seem to have more grunt. I followed the info regarding breakin (apart from the issue with the glo plug. I'm using 5% nitro with added caster to increase oil to 23%. prop is a master airscrew 10x4. Don't get me wrong, I love this engine and its perfect for this plane with 55s.. Phil. ps can't remember what the launch revs are. this is my favourite model at the moment so I'm reluctant to change anything, but I accept it may not be running as it should.

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 04:15:25 PM »
Steve, you may be right about my ss30. I have 2 ss25s that seem to have more grunt. I followed the info regarding breakin (apart from the issue with the glo plug. I'm using 5% nitro with added caster to increase oil to 23%. prop is a master airscrew 10x4. Don't get me wrong, I love this engine and its perfect for this plane with 55s.. Phil. ps can't remember what the launch revs are. this is my favourite model at the moment so I'm reluctant to change anything, but I accept it may not be running as it should.

If you've got an APC 10.5x4.5 you could give that a go, launched at a bit over 10000.  I once tried an APC 10x4, but it didn't seem to suit the engine as well. (My SS25 is excellent, but definitely not as strong as the 30.)

Steve

Offline bruce finley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »
What kind of run can I expect with this engine?  Any sort of 4/2 break or more of a OS LA 25 type run? 

Bruce

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 11:30:10 PM »
What kind of run can I expect with this engine?  Any sort of 4/2 break or more of a OS LA 25 type run? 

Bruce

I've heard of them being run them in a 4/2 with a 10x6, but I think you're better off with less pitch and a wet 2-stroke.  With the 10.5x4.5 I get a constant-speed run with just a slight power-up in hard corners.

Offline bruce finley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:03:58 AM »
I've heard of them being run them in a 4/2 with a 10x6, but I think you're better off with less pitch and a wet 2-stroke.  With the 10.5x4.5 I get a constant-speed run with just a slight power-up in hard corners.

Quite what I expected, I'll install it in the ARF Nobler and give it a go.  They are quite lightweight engines to boot, very close to the weight of a Fox 35.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:26:02 AM »
I also found the APC 10.5x4.5 to work best with SS30, but I used the larger 7.0mm venturi which is optional from Enya, which also has a 7.5mm one if more power is needed.

The Engine with stock muffler is lighter then OS 25LA.

Proper break in is necessary. I run 1:00h  to 1:30h on the bench before flying.  If not done right the engine can overheat and stop while flying.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:32:59 AM »

Some people complain that Enya engines takes hours and hours to break in, well if you do not have the proper technique it will never break in. A friend brought me back an Enya SS40 saying that after 4H the engine was still not good, and it wasn't, but I resolved the problem in 4 runs of 6min pinching the fuel line, like I do on the last part of the process I use, which follows:

10 runs of 1 min in a solid 4 stroke with the needle one hair open before it start to burble in 2. Let the engine fully cool before starting again
8 runs of 2min with the same setting
4 runs of 3 min same setting.
5 runs of 6 min with the needle in the same setting but this time pinch the fuel line to sustain peak rpm for 10s, then wait 20s and repeat pinching process til the end of the run. Start pinching the fuel line slowly and watch the rpm to increase slowly, if engine start to lower rpm you went to far, back up a bit. The idea here is to make the engine run as hard as it can for 10s. If you can, measure the maximum sustain RPM and you notice that this number will improve. If after 6 runs you still notice that the top rpm is still improving do a few more runs like this.

I have been doing this and my Iron Enya Engines works mighty well.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline bruce finley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:00:24 AM »
Lots of good info :o :o

Thanks everybody!!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here