News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:15:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New silencer  (Read 996 times)

Online Lauri Malila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New silencer
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:25:03 AM »
Hi.

Here is some pictures of my new muffler for our MB engine if someone is interested.
Hopefully it's even quieter and just a little less powerfull as the previous one.
Total weight is 40g, 1,4oz.
Construction is about the same as previous one (only stronger) with 2 expansion chambers and a side resonant chamber in the middle. Just with slightly more flow resistance and more laminar flow. L

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Re: New silencer
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
Insides..

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
Very nice workmanship.
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »
Ok Laurie,
               you have piqued my interest, what exactly is laminar flow inside of a muffler?

Thanks.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »

Well, I should have said less turbulent, or more predictable. I did that by off-centering the central tube, now it's not directly on the way of flow coming from exhaust header. The old muffler had some issues at very certain rpm's and I hope this will make the operation a bit more stabile.
 The old muffler, as calculated by Rob, is very quiet. But it is tuned to be "neutral", it does not have much effect to the engine power. It works very well in certain conditions (the hotter the better) but the engine becomes unstable in colder weather. That's because our engine is so light, big and powerfull. It is difficult to keep the operating temperature high enough, and the best way to deal with it is to increase exhaust pressure. I would like to load the engine more but bigger than the current 14x6 3-b is too much for my model.
 Also, I have new cylinders coming with new porting and some ideas for combustion chamber shape to make burning more stable. I try to finish those before the summer comes.
 I find it strange that so few people are working to make engines quieter, especially when the world is getting more and more sensitive to noise. Most of the silencers used are quite stupid and noisy.  For a very quiet end result, it is not necessary to loose lots of power in a highly reactive silencer (like with Retro's), not every engine likes that way. L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here