News:

• April 24, 2024, 01:51:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gutless Brodak .25 ?????  (Read 1360 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Gutless Brodak .25 ?????
« on: July 30, 2019, 08:21:47 AM »
       Hello All

I have a problem with a B 25 that has very little power.  I have used it on a Super Clown and a Sterling F-51.  It puts out just enough power to keep the planes at the end  of the lines.   Loops are out of the question!

I am running the foll0wing:

9-4 Prop

11-11-10 fuel

55' lines

uniflow tank

Standard ST nva

Factory venturi

Factory chip muffler or sans any muffler

The engine is very easy to start, has great compression, and runs in a great wet two cycle.  It has less power than a ST G20/.23 from days of yore when compared on a test stand with all things being the same prop, plug, fuel and time of test.   I have not removed the head to count the number of head gasket etc.

If you could would the owners of a B 25 be kind enough to post some tach readings and description of how their B 25 engines perform?  How may I get this engine to become useable for sport flying?  Perhaps I should put it in my "junk drawer" and replace it with a ST G20/.23 that is a strong engine.

It sure aint an OS LA .25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suggestion,

Tia.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Gutless Brodak .25 ?????
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 12:56:46 PM »
McFrank,

I don't even know where to begin.

We use these to race Super Slow Rat. Don't really need to quote you a bunch of rpms or anything. Here's the deal:  on 60' lines, using a 9x6 prop, for a good engine that is not damaged or modified in any way, it will really move out. Waaaaay better than an OS 25 LA. Shouldn't have any trouble dragging around a Super Clown or a Sterling if they are less than 10 lbs and somewhat straight. If your engine won't screw you into the ground on 55' lines then it was either a factory dud, or some unscrupulous motor molester has put his hands on it.

Suggestions/questions:
1. Did you get the engine new, or did someone have their hands on it? If so, what did they do to it? If it is beyond lame and likes to run backwards, check the liner to be sure it is not in backwards. (If you are flying it, I doubt this is your problem.) If you turned the needle in and it won't scream with a 9x4, then I would pull the head and see if someone accidentally lost a whole bag of head shims in there. It's happened.
2. Is it broken in? Some of these were set up pretty tight, and until they get some time on them they don't develop full power.
3. Did you really run it in a 2-stroke setting, or are you trying to make it run like a Fox? If you want to 4-stroke it, then I can't speak to that approach knowledgeably.
4. What size is the venturi? These engines can make much more power if you open it up, and they still draw fine. Again, in 2-stroke mode. If someone tried to turn it into a Fox, they might have tried a tiny venturi, too. I'd have to go look at the arrangement again, but if you stuffed an ST needle in a smaller hole, then it is going to be gutless.
5. Did you try a 9x5 or 9x6? You say the airspeed is too slow but you also say it runs nice. Try props!

There may have been different factory venturi sizes. And there have been reports of "slower" 25's. I saw a couple myself on racers. They were just a tad off, not some huge amount like you describe.

One other thing I should mention. I found one Brodak 25 that a friend had on a Goldberg Shoestring. It ran slow and unsteady. It felt fine cold, but hot restarts were a problem. When I looked at it, I found the fit was bad. I took off the muffler to look at the piston. The problem went away immediately. The problem was that the face of the muffler was not machined, and when bolted to the engine warped the case and liner. So we lapped the muffler and proceeded to put up perfectly good runs.

Divot McSlow

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 02:09:03 PM »
      Hi Jim S:

I have no idea as to what size the original spray bar was in a Brodak .25 engine.  I bought this engine used.  It was mounted in a Super Clown.  I thought the price was right $50.00 so I went for it.  May not have been one of my better decisions. Lol

Be well,

Frank

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 02:19:10 PM »
      Hi Dave:

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply.  You have prompted me to take a closer look at the B 25.  A flying mate flys an OS .25 LA or FP on a Magician and that engine pulls that plane very quickly!

I always ran this engine in a wet 2 cycle where it had room to gain some rpm in the maneuvers.  Never too lean!

I will get back to you after I examine the engine more closely.

Be well

Frank

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »
       Hello:

I measured the venturi and it measured .250".  That along with a standard ST nva does no leave much room for air-fuel to pass into the engine!  Is this too small?  What would be a good diameter to ream the venturi to in order to use the ST nva? Or what diameter of a spray bar could I install in the .250" venuri to get a performance gain?  If I ordered a venturi from a machinist, what diameter of a hole should I specify?

Tia,

Frank

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »
I think the Brodak 25 and 40 both use a factory spraybar of 0.156 inch.  The ST spraybar you have in the Brodak 25 is probably 0.156 diameter as well.  So, no difference there.  But, a venturi of 0.250 might be a bit small.  I think it needs to be 0.255 - 0.260.

You might find such a size from one of the vendors listed on this forum.

Try a 9 X 5 prop.  A pitch of 4 might not be enough to get the airspeed you need.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 06:44:41 PM »
  I had this same problem with a brand new B-.25 and it would barely fly a Ringmaster in level flight. Numerous prop changes yielded nothing promising. I posted on the forums here about it and described it as "like a potato in the tail pipe" syndrome. I got an email from Tom Hampshire asking me to send him the engine. I packed it up and shipped it to him and when I got it back, he had modified the muffler to have a larger, straight out the end stinger. This made all the difference. I tried that muffler on a B-.40 and it turned into a huge breaking monster! The stock mufflers are quite restrictive. I have another one new in the box and have not used the first one again. I may revisit these at some point in time, just thought I would write and tell Frank he is not alone!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »
I had the same experience with the B-25. Cured it by substituting the stock (way too small) venturi with one from a B-40, about .305 or so.
Really woke it up. It is now on a Super Slow Rat, no muffler, swinging an APC  7 x 7 prop really, really, fast. Bottom line is; try a larger venturi, it may be the only change you will need.  The 7 X 7 prop is just for racing though, I'd retry the 9 X 4 for stunt.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 07:57:38 PM »
I am using 20 percent nitro and a 9x6 prop and have good performance.  Using about 2 ounces for 6 minutes.  Joe Gilbert is doing about the same with a 9x5 prop on his.  Good luck.
John Paris

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »
         Hello All:

PROBLEM SOLVED

The venturi was opened up with a 17/64" drill and now the engine runs very well.  I used a 9-6 wooden prop, 10-11-11- fuel and it became a beast!  Great power and speed made flying the Sterling F 51 a joy.

Let the good times roll

Frank McCune
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:52:05 PM by frank mccune »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 04:45:59 PM »
         Hello All:

PROBLEM SOLVED

The venturi was opened up with a 17/64" drill and now the engine runs very well.  I used a 9-6 wooden prop, 10-11-11- fuel and it became a beast!  Great power and speed made flying the Sterling F 51 a joy.

I am glad you have it working, but I would point out that all the suggestions in this thread represent *drastic* changes. A typical good step that will have a significant effect is .005, in this thread we talk about changing it by a factor of 10 bigger. .268-9 (17/64 drill bit)  with an ST or other 4mm/.157 spraybar is probably on the small side, probably not quite enough power to support a conventional stunt prop (9-4 or 10-4), but probably pretty good with a high-pitch prop like a 9-6.   

The drastic change from the .250 to the .265 was warranted because the .250 was drastically too small. I am a little concerned that people are making too drastic a change and jumping from one extreme to another, and missing the sweet spot.

.250 is extremely small and .308 is extremely large, far outside the range used for either 20s through 88s. An 88 could probably pull that much venturi, but you would have no way of dealing with the power with a rationally-sized airplane. The .250 would cause a OS-25S to get wimpy, it's not surprising that it makes the Brodak wimpy, too.

As always, almost regardless of the engine size, with an ST or other 4mm spraybar across the bore, the right range is about .265-.280 is almost always a decent starting point. .265 is about what you start with on a 40VF, it will pull much more power than a 25.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but it's not at all unusual for the venturi to get smaller as the engine gets bigger, in this range. That's because you can pull far more air through a given size orfice with an 88 than you can with a 20, the fuel draw is proportional to the air flow, and the power is closely related to the fuel flow rate, and the usable power range/power requirement is pretty small for the usable range of "full-size" stunt planes.

Brett

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »
Brett,

Please excuse my ignorance here, but what is the "88" you mention?

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 03:47:37 PM »
Brett,

Please excuse my ignorance here, but what is the "88" you mention?

Jett 88.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here