News:

• April 16, 2024, 10:54:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow plugs from China, Good or not?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Glow plugs from China, Good or not?
« on: September 29, 2021, 10:33:34 AM »
         Hi Gang:

Has anybody used thes plugs? The prices $3.00 each including shipping, is very tempting!

Stay well.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Glow plugs from China, Good or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 01:47:06 PM »
         Hi Gang:

Has anybody used thes plugs? The prices $3.00 each including shipping, is very tempting!

Stay well.
Do you really want to do a reverse wingover in a heavy wind on a $3.00 including shipping glow plug? ~^

Ken
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 06:32:33 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 05:27:16 PM »
So no one has tried them. Any of the international fliers know what the Chinese team is using?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 01:36:15 AM »
Well, I was curious, but looking around, I couldn't find any $3.00 plugs.  Where did you see them?

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 06:40:16 AM »
One of the local guys was having decent results with them, but then he got a batch that were all oversize and wouldn't screw into the engines.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 09:50:07 AM »
       Hi All:

The plugs in question are listed on E Bay under model airplane engines.  They are listed as $31.00 for ten and free shipping.

Could one “chase” the threads on an oversized plug with a 1/4”-32 die to make oversized plugs fit?

Stay well.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 08:27:16 AM »
     Hello Walter:

I called Sonic Tronics the other day and was told that there was no sale in the future.  They are very busy filling orders for their products.  The person who answered the phone suggested that I call again about Black Friday.

Stay curious,

Frank

Offline Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 08:48:24 AM »
Hi.
Yes, glow plugs currently seem to be the main problem for aficionados of I.C.
I solved the problem a few days ago by stocking up on the old Enya # 3 plug, it costs more than $ 3 but it works and it seems to be still available here (the shipment took place 8 days after the order)

https://www.rcjapan.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=85_79_753&products_id=1200&zenid=8gb4pca3koo8enlo96tgrjq6u5

Note that you cannot place items in the basket if you do not register

Massimo

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 03:51:38 PM »
I have purchased about thirty of these in several batches.  The ones I have are from Taiwan.  It seems hit and miss.  I’ve opened 4-5 and found the coil mashed or damaged on two.  As long as the coil looks to be intact they start and run well- about like the Enya 3.  I haven’t used them on a pipe nor have we run them for any period of time but they are readily available and don’t cost 15-20 bucks...

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 12:25:01 AM »
I have purchased about thirty of these in several batches.  The ones I have are from Taiwan.  It seems hit and miss.  I’ve opened 4-5 and found the coil mashed or damaged on two.  As long as the coil looks to be intact they start and run well- about like the Enya 3.  I haven’t used them on a pipe nor have we run them for any period of time but they are readily available and don’t cost 15-20 bucks...

Dave

If you have this percentage of defective plugs you can consider the actual cost to be double the nominal.
The cost of an Enya # 3 plug at the link I reported above is about $ 7 (it depends on the change of currency), you have to add the shipping costs that you can amortize on the quantity and the plugs ALL work

Massimo

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 06:23:46 PM »
       Could one “chase” the threads on an oversized plug with a 1/4”-32 die to make oversized plugs fit?

Stay well.

Yes. It's not that it's oversized, it's more of a "fewer steps in the machining process yields a lower cost" situation. Those are usually a pass or two away from having the correct minor diameter. I personally run a die over glow plug threads anyway.

Offline Controlliner

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 07:08:57 PM »
They are shite, Ah get 600 RPM drop once the clip is removed. Ah use 0 nitro. Ae fox plug works much better.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here