News:

• September 20, 2024, 09:22:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow Plugs  (Read 1487 times)

Offline AirClassix

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Glow Plugs
« on: July 05, 2013, 05:42:17 AM »
For stunt and sport flying, what is your choice of glow plugs for

(1) OS FP/LA .10
(2) OS FP/LA .15
(3) OS FP/LA .25
(4) OS FP/LA .40/.46

Don't forget to specify reach, please - Thanks!

Dennis,
taking notes ...
 :)
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Glow Plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 06:02:58 AM »
I like Glow Devils for most everything.  They have standard or idle bar, long and short.  I prefer the idle bar for pipes.  There are from Sonic Tronics in Pa.  Order on line.  They also have one special for OS engines- replaces type F.

Dave

Addendum:  Plug length is determined by the manufacturer depending on how the head was machined.  Refer to their instructions.  As a general rule I would think .15 and larger would use long.  The .10 may use short.  You might damage it trying to use long.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:05:25 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Commander
  • 2013 Nats
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
Just like dave, i started using a Glow devil 300 in my FP 40 and i love the plug and how the engine runs.

Offline AirClassix

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
One of the reasons I ask about reach is that some express a preference for the OS #8 plug in .25 and larger engines.  If I'm not mistaken, OS defines that as a "medium reach" plug ... correct me if I'm wrong!

Dennis
 :)

Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 03:47:31 PM »
The OS LA 40 is supposed to take a medium reach plug. When I pulled the head, I found out otherwise. With a medium reach plug, it came up short. You need to pull the head to confirm plug length.

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 06:59:14 PM »
Both OS and Enya plugs have always been "medium" reach and why this is no one seems to know. However, based only on my 40/46 VF's, a medium reach is too short while a long reach is a fraction too long but not enough to worry about. Enya at least seem to machine their heads to suit a medium length plug although a long reach with an extra washer fits very well.

Of you don't want to take the heads off to check then I'd use a short or medium plug for the 10 and maybe the 15 while a long reach would be fine in the larger engines. For heat range I'd go with a hot plug but brand is up to you because everyone has their own ideas. Personally I use Taipan plugs.

Offline Steve Helmick

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »
Are Taipan glowplugs made in Australia? I can't imagine Gordon B. having them made elsewhere, but how about now?  ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »
Are Taipan glowplugs made in Australia?
Yep, they're still made in Australia but by Lion Electronics in Perth, Western Australia.
http://www.tnet.com.au/~lion/Taipan_Glow_Plugs.htm

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 03:55:59 AM »
I've been using Enya #3 and thunderbolt RC for years in my FP40s, Tower 40s, and LA46s. Excellent running engines.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
I use Fox 2 volt longs in engines where they will fit.   I don't race anymore so I don't know how they would be racing.  Back in the day, we used GloBee plugs to race. 

[center][b][size=20pt] [url=http://ritchsbrew.com/rb.html][img]https://stunthanger.com/smf/ritch-s-brew/ritch-s-brew-the-winners-choice/?action=dlattach;attach=351357;image][/img][/url][/center]
Advertise Here
Tags: