News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:59:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow Driver safety caps  (Read 1044 times)

Online Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Glow Driver safety caps
« on: September 07, 2021, 11:54:29 PM »
I am not bad about losing the caps from my glow drivers, but I finally (after having some of my batteries for 20ish years) ran out of spare caps for my McDaniel Ni-Starters. I found some replacements at McMaster-Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/caps/round-caps-9/

Part #   9753K337   Round Caps for 3/8" to 7/16" OD, 1/2" Inside Height, Red

These fit as the originals, you will have to deal with the red VS orange, as OCD permits (or get the black one for a jaunty contrast - Halloween is coming, you know). A pack of *100* is $5.37, so you will not have this problem twice. I would suggest combining it with another order to save on shipping.

These are exact fit for the McDaniel glow drivers, but I presume that they will fit any of them that twist-on since the diameter is constrained. The clamp types, maybe - the caps are pretty flexible. Or maybe you need the next size up.

Given that I have lost 3 of them, total, since the early 90's, 100 seems a bit overkill. I will carrying them around with me, if you need a few (really need a few spares, don't just grab a handfull...), please hit me up. I won't ship them around, the stamp costs much more than the cap.

Brett

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 10:03:21 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Glow Driver safety caps
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 06:30:49 PM »
100 caps!  You have a gold mine there.  Sell them to the R/C guys for $.50 each plus postage and you will make a fortune.

Why didn't I think of that?
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 08:50:00 PM »
100 caps!  You have a gold mine there.  Sell them to the R/C guys for $.50 each plus postage and you will make a fortune.

Why didn't I think of that?

Knock yourself out, profit awaits!

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 08:55:40 PM »
     I need to do some checking, but those may be the same size as the plugs used to plug the mattresses on a Select Comfort air mattress.  When you buy the bed , you get two so you can do just that if you need to move the mattress for any reason. I needed to do that recently to work on the bed frame and couldn't find the originals that came with mine when we bought it 20 some off years ago. Had to hunt around the few stores here that are still open until I found a couple. They are an off white or light beige color and hard to see. They are just a cap plug like the ones you have. Some nice red ones will be easier to find!!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 09:14:52 PM »
     I need to do some checking, but those may be the same size as the plugs used to plug the mattresses on a Select Comfort air mattress.  When you buy the bed , you get two so you can do just that if you need to move the mattress for any reason. I needed to do that recently to work on the bed frame and couldn't find the originals that came with mine when we bought it 20 some off years ago. Had to hunt around the few stores here that are still open until I found a couple. They are an off white or light beige color and hard to see. They are just a cap plug like the ones you have. Some nice red ones will be easier to find!!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

For reference, the barrel of the McDaniel Ni-Starter is 0.400 to +-~.001, and the caps listed fit it perfectly. The next size down fits perfectly on a 3/8" (0.375) diameter object and can be squeezed on the 0.4 started with minor effort.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here