News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:40:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox Liners back to front!  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Timothy Payne

• Mr Payne
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Classic Racer
Fox Liners back to front!
« on: August 28, 2013, 05:27:14 AM »
OK, I know this might sound obvious to some, but as an aeromodeller who returned to the sport last year after a break of around 23 years my engine knowledge kinda goes as far as PAW diesels. This is what everybody used back then in our club for C/L.

My query is this; after building up quite a collection of various diesel and glow engines (British, Jap, and US) why is it some people fit the liners of the Fox 35X/36X back to front (or reversed). I know they'll run in this detuned state, but it doesn't really make sense somehow.

While I can understand rotating the liner a little to detune such an engine are people doing the above deliberately, or simply out of ignorance?

Any ideas,

Tim

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
Re: Fox Liners back to front!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
Really?

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:46:34 PM »

My query is this; after building up quite a collection of various diesel and glow engines (British, Jap, and US) why is it some people fit the liners of the Fox 35X/36X back to front (or reversed). I know they'll run in this detuned state, but it doesn't really make sense somehow.

While I can understand rotating the liner a little to detune such an engine are people doing the above deliberately, or simply out of ignorance?

Yep, its ignorance and a mistake to do this.

Consider that there was even an official exploded engine brochure printed once that actually showed a Frog with the head and baffle topped piston in the reversed order , so even the 'experts' can get it wrong at times.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »
Tim,
The Fox or any other 2 cycle IC engine will not run with the liner ports reversed. If it fires on a prime you stand a good chance of having a fire in the engine as the exhaust port opens first and allows hot burning exhaust into the crankcase. As for turning to detune the muffler already detunes a Fox. However for those that run them open face - turning the liner could allow some of the exhaust port to open into the crankcase if turned enough. Second you could get the wristpin keeper clips catching on the ports and scoring the liner or jamming the piston. Third issue is the detuning as some of the fresh charge misses the piston baffle and blows through the exhaust - another possible fire problem.

All in all not a good idea. If you need less power lower the nitro or use a ST NVA to reduce the choke area (this is about 40% open area reduction over the stock Fox NVA).

Best,       DennisT

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »
Tim,
The Fox or any other 2 cycle IC engine will not run with the liner ports reversed.

I don't think anyone is doing it on purpose for detuning. But, they certainly will run with the liner in backwards. It will run very weakly and get very hot, typically, but it will definitely run in most cases.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:30 PM »
Just wondering if Tim actually means the head and piston being rotated 180º rather than the liner?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
  A couple of years ago, on E-Bay, there was a Fox 35 up for sale that showed in the picture, that the head was bolted on one hole off (appx 30 degrees)  He even showed one picture of it running!!.  I bid outrageously just to get the engine to see what was going on.  Not only was the head on wrong, the cylinder was 180 degrees off (but the piston WAS in correctly with the baffle on the bypass side), and the needle body was installed with the spray holes parallel to the air flow instead of perpendicular to the air flow.
  In that condition, with a 10 X 6 master Airscrew cut down to a 8.5 X 6 and Fox superfuel it tached out at 8500 RPM.  I took it apart and installed everything as it was supposed to be and again tached it---9600 RPM  Both settings were in a hard 4cycle run.  I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it myself!!   Try it.

Bigiron

Added by edit-- I forgot to say that the head was one of the later stock types, not the old "Ranger" heads.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »
Just wondering if Tim actually means the head and piston being rotated 180º rather than the liner?

I have seen that one, too. It runs much better that way than it does with the liner backwards, but still not very good.

I also know that a 40VF will run, very poorly, with the piston in backwards. You wouldn't think it would make much difference with flat-top piston, but there is a cutout in the piston skirt that has to be on the intake side. And no, in this case, it WASN'T me that did it.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »
  I have seen that one, too. It runs much better that way than it does with the liner backwards, but still not very good.

I also know that a 40VF will run, very poorly, with the piston in backwards. You wouldn't think it would make much difference with flat-top piston, but there is a cutout in the piston skirt that has to be on the intake side. And no, in this case, it WASN'T me that did it.

Brett
Would you come close close to getting sub piston induction with the boost port cut away uncovering the exhaust port at TDC?
MAAA AUS 73427

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 09:39:53 PM »
Would you come close close to getting sub piston induction with the boost port cut away uncovering the exhaust port at TDC?

I never checked, that, maybe. This engine had been running utterly wrong for several years and they had tried a bunch of stuff with the pipe, venturi, etc. Always ran about the same. Finally, they were over flying, bad runs again - very low power and very very hot flight after flight. Finally I got the thing, took the backplate off to see of there was something binding against the backplate when it ran, and noticed that the chamfer on the big end of the rod was visible. Took the piston out, flipped the piston and rod around, put it back together, ran perfectly.

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »
Years ago there was an OS .46VF on Tower's "Scratch and Dent" section for like $30.  The engine had hardly been run and for good reason.  The liner was in backwards.  I don't know how that happened since there was a tiny pin to align it correctly.  PaPa Dave Hemstraught gave me a new P/S (he had switched to an AAC set up) and I put it in.  The engine ran great after that.  It evidently came from the factory like that.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here