News:

• May 03, 2024, 10:00:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Restoring painted heads (McCoy redheads, K&B greenheads...  (Read 824 times)

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Restoring painted heads (McCoy redheads, K&B greenheads...
« on: March 23, 2022, 12:42:26 AM »
Hi all.

A friend is restoring some old time engines, as Red Head McCoy and Green Head KB´s.
He asked me about the type of paint to use for restoring the heads, and it happens that I never did that job (only annodiced some heads and venturi, and was him precisely who did the work  ;D).

What type of paint do you use or recommend for that?..

Thanks in adcance.

Manuel.

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
Re: Restoring painted heads (McCoy redheads, K&B greenheads...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 07:51:15 AM »

Hello Manuel

I repainted some McCoy Redheads many years ago as basically an arts and crafts project. I never started the engines after painting them. I sandblasted the worn and faded paint off and fogged on a very thin layer of paint and put the head in a kiln at about 110 degrees. The idea was to SLOWLY accelerate the evaporation of the solvent before fogging on the next coat.

Dupli Color engine paint is still with us and shows up on Amazon. The chipped paint is due to many years of hangar rash from being stored in a shoe box and moved around. It may be OK for display purposes but don't know how it would stand up to normal use.

Ara

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 09:53:59 AM »
Hi Ara.

Thanks very much for the info!!!

Kind regards from Spain.

Manuel.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 06:34:46 PM »
It is my belief that the K&B's and cheap McCoys used enamel on the heads, probably baked after some atmospheric drying time. "Baked" would probably be no more than 140 degrees Fahrenheit...which would be around 45 > 50C. Inside a hot car during summer would be about right.

As an alternative, the fishing industry here has kits for DIY powder coating of jigheads and such. I have not done it, but the procedure is to dunk the head of the lure into the jar of powder, then put it in an oven...temperature unknown to me, but probably not terribly high. I'm not sure what colors would be available, but would suggest searching online at Bass Pro Shop, Lure Parts Online, or Jann's Netcraft. BUT, you won't want to pay to ship to Spain. You may find similar stuff over there, somewhere closer and less expensive to ship.  y1 Steve

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pro-tec-powder-paints-for-lures-or-jigs

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Stamina-Powder-Paint?quantity=1&custcol_beads_eyes_paint_size=157&custcol_beads_eyes_paint_color=115

https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/powder-paint/381100.aspx#ItemImage
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 11:13:21 PM »
Thanks for the info, Steve.

Kind regards.

Manuel.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 01:05:47 PM »
VHT High Temp Engine Enamel is a color match for McCoy Red Heads...SP121 Bright Red.  It contains ceramic and says good for 550F/288C. I've used it on several McCoy RH engines and you have to follow the instructions to get a hard factory like finish. It's held up well with 10% nitro.
Bill P.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 10:53:40 PM »
Thanks very much for the info!!!

Regards from Spain.

Manuel.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here