News:

• April 23, 2024, 08:56:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gardner Hemi ABC Super Tigre V60  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Gardner Hemi ABC Super Tigre V60
« on: March 16, 2022, 08:18:26 AM »
Hi all.
I am in the process of tuning a ST V60 to install in an ARF SV11. The engine performs a hemi head and ABC P/L from Brian Gardner.
I broke it in recently with a 0.176" venturi, and the running was very sweet but weak, performing aprox 7000 rpm with the same 13x6 prop that my K model V60 performs 8000 rpm. I assume the cause is a drop in the efective compression ratio because of the hemi head, being in the process of trying with larger venturis....
If some of you have experience with hemis ST60, could you share your setup to use as a starting point for the fine tunning?

Thanks very much and kind regards from Spain.

Manuel.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Gardner Hemi ABC Super Tigre V60
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 08:23:44 AM »
Manuel,

Wow.  136 views and no replies.  Sounds like low compression.  Could be the head, but have you checked the piston to head clearance?  Maybe compress some by pulling a gasket, lowering the liner?  Some ideas.

best of luck,

Peter

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 10:07:37 AM »
Manuel,

Wow.  136 views and no replies.  Sounds like low compression.  Could be the head, but have you checked the piston to head clearance?  Maybe compress some by pulling a gasket, lowering the liner?  Some ideas.

I think most people are reserving comment, me in particular since I have never run the ST60 in any serious way. But, this sequence of events does seem pretty familiar. One of the few things I do know about it is that, unlike most engines useful for stunt, you *can* get too little head clearance (as indicated by kicking back,  unexpectedly flaming out, etc). I am not sure that this is just a matter of the raw compression, it may be just the clearance. I know the same thing happens to the ST46, and even .003 additional clearance will usually cure it.

Like most things, there was a huge overreaction to it, and I have seen many ST60s with so little compression ratio that the are no stronger than a good ST46s. The most egregious example was from a (justifiably) famous stunt flier who set up an ST60 with so little compression that he also had to include a MASSIVE venturi, which was so large, it came close to quitting on release when the acceleration caused fuel starvation. This was in a kit-sized Shark 45, you would expect an ST60 to yank that around pretty good, but it was hopeless, squeaky lean at the slightest touch of the controls, but absolutely no power. I looked, and it appeared to have something like 1/16" extra head gaskets, and turning it over, it felt like the glow plug had fallen out.

I very strongly discourage anyone from "dropping the liner", its a questionable practice on a 40FSR, you sure don't have a timing problem with the ST60. Removing head gaskets is a potential solution, but I suspect that the modified head has already reduced the compression to the point that you cannot approach the stock value before the piston starts hitting.

The solution in the example case was to run more nitro. The owner was running 5% on recommendation of the engine maker, I talked him into 15%, which markedly improved it and got reasonable power. I was trying to talk the owner into running YS20/20, but for whatever reason he chose not to, and I was looking around for someone with 30% or who was carrying around some pure nitromethane to mix with.

So, the easiest and most obvious solution to lack of power due to low compression ratio is add nitro, keep upping it until something bad happens. Unlike a Fox (which also greatly benefits) you aren't going to break the engine, it will just start kicking back. But I have run as much as 30% nitro in a bone-stock ST46, including stock compression and head, with absolutely no problems aside from running out of gas right after the triangles, and tremendous power gain.

Brett

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 10:08:26 AM »
 Manual.    I have a huge amount of experience with the .46 and a lot with the .60.
 One of the most common things with both motors is a tight wrist pin. I wold guess that your is tight.. I set up a lot of motors and the wrist pin must drop through the piston. If you have to push it in it is to tight and it will kill 30 percent of your power. Also  13” prop in to big for the sv11 and the motor. I flew SV11 since the very first one Bill Rich built and 12” prop is what we used. All the early factory ST 60’s came with Hemi heads.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 10:15:59 AM »
 I see Brett and I posted at same time.
  Maybe Randy will see the post and have a comment.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 11:47:50 AM »
Brett,

Yes, dropping the liner is a bad idea.  But, still, the deck height, the piston to head clearances are still worthy of measurement.  Was unclear if this step had been performed.  What is a good piston to head clearance, either specific to this situation or a general rule of thumb?  And, this "kicking back" you mention, what does that describe?

Thanks for weighing in,

Peter

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 01:02:09 PM »
Hi mates, thanks very much for your time and saring info. I will test lowering the head, and then increasing nitro to check the results.

Kind regards from Spain.

Manuel.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 01:51:30 PM »
  I have built up a ST.60 with a Garner P&L set but have not run it yet. Brian usually includes the rod and wrist pin in his sets so the fit of those should be spot on. In his instructions, he cautions you to check the fit of the rod on the crank pin, and if it is tight, polish the rod until it fits.  When he builds P&L sets, he takes a personal survey of as many engines as he can to get the specifications he needs to produce them. Sometimes that means a liner will drop right into a case, and some times not and need some polishing on the outside of the liner, or the big end of the rod needs to be fitted. I've built up OS.LA.46's, Fox .35s, ST G-51's and ST.60s from his parts with absolutely no issues and everything went exactly as he spells out in his instructions. Some parts needed fitting, and some didn't but the fitting was very minimal. On some engines, like the LA.46 , he produces a head for it because he has to make the top of the liner a bit thicker, and you have to use his head to keep the compression correct. He sometimes has separate hemi heads available for a reasonable price if you care to try those. With out seeing the engine, and from my limited experience with ST.60's, it's possible you might not have the correct head. The heads are not interchangeable between all models. If you have a stock head, I would try that, and also investigate exactly which head yours takes. I would not change anything on Brian's parts what so ever. If you have a problem I'm bet it lies elsewhere. You might not have the correct cranks shaft, for instance, as I think there are three different ones. And Brian bases all his ST. sets on versions of the engines with muffler lugs, as there is a difference in them there, so that is a possibility. I'll reiterate that I  find the quality of Brian Garnder's parts as good as you will see anywhere.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 01:53:49 PM »

I have built up a ST.60 with a Garner P&L set but have not run it yet. Brian usually includes the rod and wrist pin in his sets so the fit of those should be spot on. In his instructions, he cautions you to check the fit of the rod on the crank pin, and if it is tight, polish the rod until it fits.  When he builds P&L sets, he takes a personal survey of as many engines as he can to get the specifications he needs to produce them and comes up with an average that may be on the small side.. Sometimes that means a liner will drop right into a case, and some times not and need some polishing on the outside of the liner, or the big end of the rod needs to be fitted. I've built up OS.LA.46's, Fox .35s, ST G-51's and ST.60s from his parts with absolutely no issues and everything went exactly as he spells out in his instructions. Some parts needed fitting, and some didn't but the fitting was very minimal. On some engines, like the LA.46 , he produces a head for it because he has to make the top of the liner a bit thicker, and you have to use his head to keep the compression correct. He sometimes has separate hemi heads available for a reasonable price if you care to try those. With out seeing the engine, and from my limited experience with ST.60's, it's possible you might not have the correct head. The heads are not interchangeable between all models. If you have a stock head, I would try that, and also investigate exactly which head yours takes. I would not change anything on Brian's parts what so ever. If you have a problem I'm bet it lies elsewhere. You might not have the correct cranks shaft, for instance, as I think there are three different ones. And Brian bases all his ST. sets on versions of the engines with muffler lugs, as there is a difference in them there, so that is a possibility. I'll reiterate that I  find the quality of Brian Garnder's parts as good as you will see anywhere.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 02:01:43 PM »
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:44:01 AM by Lauri Malila »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 04:20:12 PM »
I was an onlooker to the ST .60bb/Shark 45 fiasco that Brett mentioned, and later found out more on it from the owner. The whole story was that the engine was bought used, and the original owner thought the best way to ship the head shims he had was to install them in the engine so they wouldn't get wrinkled. I expect that the screws were not torqued much, if at all, which would make it even worse. Possibly, Manuel's problem is the same sort of deal? Or maybe Manuel is trying to run zero nitro? Engines gotta pump, and they are happier with more fuel, rather than less, IMO.

Personally, have only flown a real ST .60bb a few flights, but I recall asking John Leidle what prop I should start with, and he said "any 12-6", and did just that. Last time I saw John, I think was in Salem, and he was flying a ST .60bb with a 12-7 Master Airscrew wood prop...which I wouldn't use to stir paint without a fair amount of hand sanding and such.

Anyway, after a few flights on the ST .60 (it was Scott Riese's, and I was not yet doing the pattern...Scott's prop also, I think). Not wanting to damage Scott's stuff, I plugged in my Double Star .60bb, which is a clone with better QC. This one is an early example, and IIRC is an ABC, but maybe AAC (no rings). I like it a lot, and it likes an APC 12.5 x 6 quite well on 10% nitro (Powermaster 10-22, in those days was really 7%, or so I've read).   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 05:30:00 PM »
Manuel,
I think you should send a PM to Sparky, I believe he is running the GB ST60. Other option is to send the engine and new parts to Randy Smith and have him set it up properly.

Best,    DennisT

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 08:30:04 PM »
Yes, compression ratio is clearly defined as one volume vs. another.  And I realize some folks find it easy to measure.  However, for a given head shape, piston to head clearance is a useful measurement from some perspectives.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2022, 10:42:20 PM »
I was an onlooker to the ST .60bb/Shark 45 fiasco that Brett mentioned, and later found out more on it from the owner. The whole story was that the engine was bought used, and the original owner thought the best way to ship the head shims he had was to install them in the engine so they wouldn't get wrinkled. I expect that the screws were not torqued much, if at all, which would make it even worse.

If so, then this particular reworker must have routinely "stored" extra head gaskets by installing them, because every engine anyone I saw who got one from him had more-or-less the same issue. Including one of the locals who had an ST56 with about 3/32" of head gaskets and maybe a 3/8 venturi that would, on release, roll about 3 feet and then quit due to fuel starvation. Once we got it off the ground, by pushing it and running behind to soften the acceleration, it had no power, switched to a squeaky lean 2 and that seemed to have less power than in a 4.

Since you were witness to the previous incident, I think we checked that the head was tight before starting off with the 15%. That was only a good start - that engine would have worked well on 30%.

Brett

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 01:18:09 AM »
If you are installing new parts in an engine, whether they are aftermarket or OEM replacement parts; you should never assemble it without checking for correct fits of parts and definitely check the head clearance. Every machined part has a tolerance with the crankcase itself having the most possible variations due to the number of machining operations it undergoes. Even in high dollar high performance engines clearances vary enough to warrant checking. Head clearance is one of the factors that can greatly influence how an engine runs and should be set to a known value at least as a starting point. If you don't know how to check the head clearance, or deck height as some call it, you shouldn't be working on your own engine. I'm sure Brian sent some instructions for assembly and a couple shims. If he didn't specify squish band to piston clearance, ask him or someone who's running one where to start. Generally, a 60 size engine set up for stunt would want .020 to .030. Both volume and plug height above piston matter.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2022, 07:59:52 AM »
Thanks very much for the info, will ask Brian Gardner about his experience setting hemi st60s.

Kind regards.

Manuel.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2022, 02:32:08 PM »
duplicate, somehow...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 11:21:19 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2022, 02:44:30 PM »
Thanks very much for the info, will ask Brian Gardner about his experience setting hemi st60s.

Kind regards.

Manuel.

That seems like a good plan - I doubt anyone who knows what they are doing sets up ST60s to have less power than a good ST46. So, there might be some other issue.

I had some issues with ST60 performance-wise  (and even more, some of its "advocates"/salesmen) but no one ever complained about the amount of power.

Brett

p.s. BTW. I routinely ran Rev-up 13-6s on bone stock ST46s, and have at least tried a Top Flite 14-6. I even remember the launch RPM - 6800 rpm, with it sounding like it was about to melt. It was kind of OK in the air, but clearly not ideal. Rev-Up 12-5 ,12-6 with various pitch distributions, and 12-5W (cut down from a 13-5) were more in the ballpark.

Stock ST60s, most people started with a 13-6 and that was *no problem* for the engine, although it may not have been that great for the cornering.

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2022, 06:36:04 PM »
The Hemi head does have lower compression - but is intended for nitro use above 10%. It only came about because "some" people found them a bit difficult to tune with the stock head - but I suspect this was more because they were using the original head shim that had squashed down.

The same applies to the 46 and 51. They both work with the stock head and low nitro, but can be difficult to get right if running higher nitro contents. I used to routinely run 20% nitro in the 46 and as high as 30% at one point.

Manuel is running 7% nitro - so the stock head should be ok. If continuing to run the hemi head I'd suggest more nitro or a bigger venturi.

There is also the possibility it is a bit tight still and power will improve with more run time.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2022, 07:03:59 PM »
The Hemi head does have lower compression - but is intended for nitro use above 10%. It only came about because "some" people found them a bit difficult to tune with the stock head - but I suspect this was more because they were using the original head shim that had squashed down.

That was also *exactly* what we found with the 46. You could run all the nitro you wanted but if that head gasket had visibly compressed, you were headed for problems - usually, it misfire in the extreme or just flame out for no apparent reason. I am not sure it was a matter of compression or head volume, just that the very wide "squish band" had so little clearance, stock, that you couldn't tolerate even .003-.005 closer.

Brett

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2022, 08:36:06 PM »
Yep y1

That was also *exactly* what we found with the 46. You could run all the nitro you wanted but if that head gasket had visibly compressed, you were headed for problems - usually, it misfire in the extreme or just flame out for no apparent reason. I am not sure it was a matter of compression or head volume, just that the very wide "squish band" had so little clearance, stock, that you couldn't tolerate even .003-.005 closer.

Brett

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2022, 11:03:10 PM »
Thanks very much for your time and sharing that information.

Kind regards.

Manuel.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 02:53:33 AM »
Hi all.
Update March 21st.
After some trials this weekend, basically testing lowering the head, and later increase slightly the venturi section, and as was predicted, the power is near to the stock unit with the squish band head.
Accidentally, as the tests are being made without muffler, I discovered than the Gardner ABC piston performs a little sub piston induction, althought any of my stock units or my George Aldrich ABC doesn´t have. The unit is built int a stock ST60 K model case, so no modification can affect to the relative position of the piston, as the con rod is sipplied with the PS assy.
Will check soon the performance with muffler, to see if the SPI affects the running quality.

Kind regards.

Manuel.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2022, 03:15:13 AM »
Woud be helpful if some has a ST60 with the Gardner PL assy or remember having built or run one (I think Randy has biult some of them for customers ) carify if the sub piston induction detected is normal or not.

Thanks again mates.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2022, 03:33:30 AM »
Manuel,
Robert Storick runs a number of Brian Gardner ST V60's and speaks very highly of them.

If you have technical questions I would ask Brian himself. I have always found him very approachable and even answers my stupid novice questions nicely.

If you would like his email send me a PM.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2022, 04:12:05 AM »
Thanks Craig.

I have very good relationship with Brian, an excellent person, I am posting my experience here only to share with the crew, and in any case as a critical point of view, as it happens that I have dozens of Brian´s ABC sets and the quality is awesome.

Kind regards.

Manuel.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2022, 09:25:08 AM »
Woud be helpful if some has a ST60 with the Gardner PL assy or remember having built or run one (I think Randy has biult some of them for customers ) carify if the sub piston induction detected is normal or not.

Thanks again mates.

I have built up one ST.60 with Brian P&L set but have not run it. I do not remember if I saw any SPI, but will check. If you have pieced together the engine from parts, that may explain it some. I think there are 3 different crank shafts during the run of the ST.60 I think the rods might be the same in all of them. I am not familiar with the lettering system you mention but in Brian's instructions he calls out the the sets are designed to work in the cases with muffler lugs. I'll be watching this thread to see what Brian has to say.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2022, 04:48:22 PM »
I have a very vague recollection that one of the early production runs of these had the piston skirt touching the backplate or crank counterweight so we increased the relief in the piston. Is this relief now larger than stock - it would appear so as photos from Manuel show a small amount of SPI in the corners of the exh port. It's a very small amount....not like the G21/40 has stock.

I'll endeavour to eliminate this in the next run - either by reducing the exh port width a fraction, or radiusing the corners or something.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2022, 07:09:57 PM »
 .176 spounfds like a rather small intake . i recently saw some .185 in the 60 , & thought small - ST 46 size ! .

Spraybar 4 mm through , & .312 isnt unusual , thats vaugely .212 in a std. set up . plus or minus .

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2022, 07:07:30 PM »
Hi all.
I am in the process of tuning a ST V60 to install in an ARF SV11. The engine performs a hemi head and ABC P/L from Brian Gardner.
I broke it in recently with a 0.176" venturi, and the running was very sweet but weak, performing aprox 7000 rpm with the same 13x6 prop that my K model V60 performs 8000 rpm. I assume the cause is a drop in the efective compression ratio because of the hemi head, being in the process of trying with larger venturis....
If some of you have experience with hemis ST60, could you share your setup to use as a starting point for the fine tunning?

Thanks very much and kind regards from Spain.

Manuel.

Hi Manuel    try the stock head, you will get a better  run and more  power,  also  you need to use  a  .181 to .185  venturi,  it should  4 stroke  at  86 to 8800  RPMs  with that setup

Randy

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2022, 11:09:56 PM »
Thanks very much Randy, I´ll test with the stock K head.

Kind regards from Spain.

Manuel.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here