News:

• May 15, 2024, 12:32:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A little input on the RO-Jett .65  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
A little input on the RO-Jett .65
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:20:20 AM »
OK, so now my little 625 sq. inch Slider has a RO-Jett .65. Hmmm, this is interesting. 625 squares, about 54oz and a really big engine. Seems right to me. Anyway, I've been experimenting with props. Problem is, it is a sort of little plane. So I can't just jump to a giganta-prop. I've seen everything from an 11.5" prop to a 14" on these things. The best so far seems to be an Eather 13 x 4 undercambered 2 blade. It's been depitched just a touch (maybe 3.8 or so). Wish I could find another one. I've tried several three blade props, but haven't found one I like yet. The best was a 12.5 x 4, but it was one that was de-pitched from 5 and I think it still has too much mid-blade pitch (my longer right arm was the first clue. That and the 4.2 second lap times). I tried a 13.5 x 3.75 3 blade, but the yaw was pretty bad. Seems much better with the 2 blader. I suppose what I really need is a 12.5 x 3.75 three blade, but I have found one that doesn't have really wide blades.

What are other's experiences with props for this engine when mounted on a relatively small plane?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Eric Viglione

Re: A little input on the RO-Jett .65
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 07:39:40 PM »
I had a RO.65 in a Staris about same size as your Slider and it ran suprisingly well on a modern production Topflight PowerPoint wood 12x4. Readily available and cheap, repeatable prop. Very light, so GP is low. Fine tune with Nitro content and venturi size to the prop you like for a plane that size, don't let the tail wag the dog! You don't want a big honking prop on that plane, dial in the engine. (I ultimately ended up with a PA40 in the Staris on an 11.5x4 bolly so I could run .15 lines)
Hope that helps,
EricV

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 08:38:55 PM »
Hey Randy,
think wood, yeah yeah,, call Pat he will tell ya'
lol
heck I don't notice a problem on my LA 46 Oriental with a 12.25 wide blade wood prop,, Im thinkin you could get Pat to hack you out a magic prop. lol
ok so I don't know anything about RO Jets,, but really, have you tried a wood prop, something like a 13 4 or maybe 14 4? I might even have one,,
or maybe you need one of my LA 46s to fly the thing,  y1 y1 LL~

but well,um  I am going back to hibernation now,, lol
well good luck with that anyway Randy, I will now hide,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:14:30 AM »
Kent Tysor had some good results with his RO 76 powered Strega a few years back, while using a Rev-up 14x5 wood prop.

Eric VF had a point (sorry) about the Power Point props from TF.  They are cheep and readily available, and have enough meat on them to play with the blade a little bit but not so much that its a major sanding project like a Zinger.  The props seem to be pretty coinsistent as well.  Cutting down a couple 12 or 13 inche props shouldn't be too rough a job.

The other thought would be to keep depitching that 12.5 three blade you have untill it no longer exhibits arm ripping force(!)
Steve

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 01:55:42 PM »
I've got two wood props to try. A 2.75 x about 3.9 made from a Zinger 13x4 prop kit and a reworked Rev-Up paddle blade THP at about the same size. I plan to try them out soon. If the weather will cooperate.(that would be a 12.75)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:48:36 AM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:20:56 PM »
During the spring I was having good luck running a zinger pro 14-5 on my ro-jett 65 powered strega.   It was running with a nice sounding 4-2 run.  It pulled the big, heavy strega around fine.  At the Topeka contest though with a much higher temperature and lots of wind it seemed kind of weeny. It was running pretty much in a 2 cycle there.  I intend to cure that this weekend by installing my RO-jett 76, which also runs fine on the Zinger Pro 14-5.  The 65 seemed happy at about 7500 rpm, the 76 spins the same prop at a happy 7800 .  My 76 was really happy on an eather 14-4.5 flat back prop.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »
Mike,

I'm running a pipe at about 18.5" and the launch RPM is around 9800. It runs in a hard 4 stroke all the way on the current best prop (a 13.25x3.9 UCT two blade). I keep trying to use a 3 blade, but I tend to get some tail wag (yaw) in hard corners with a 3 blade. I've tried as small as a 12 x 4 three blade and still lose the sharpe corners and get the wag. Doesn't do it with the 2 blade. But the three blade as a bit more authority about 45 degrees. Sigh... Everything is a compromise, I suppose. I haven't found THE prop yet, but has a couple that are close. More testing this weekend if the weather will settle down a bit.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here