Engine basics > Engine set up tips

Fuel , GLO-plug and running tips

<< < (12/12)

John Skukalek:
This is a question for Randy. Based on the very valuable information that you have provided throughout this thread, I have learned how to get the oil % in my fuel to levels that I have targeted. I buy Omega fuel at my local hobby shop. The mfg shows 17 % of combined synthetic and castor oil. Understanding that the 17% is based on weight, I convert the 17% to a volume % using 81% which results in 13.8 %(volume). I add castor oil to raise the combined oil % to 22% for my Brodak 25, Brodak 40, OS 40 FP, OS 25 LA. I add castor oil to raise the combined oil % to 28% for my Fox 35's, OS max 35(Art Adamisin reworked) and worn out Super Tiger 46s.

My primary question is with regard to the nitro %. What is the conversion % for it? It's not the same 81% is it? The omega fuel that I buy to start with is labeled 10% nitro.

Also, I have an old OS max 10 and OS max 15. Do they like the 28% oil and 10% nitro? More nitro?

Any thoughts/recommendations with respect to what I am doing as described above?

I am looking for the 2-4-2 break.(for the 35 - 46 motors)

Thanks for all of the information that you share.

I have sporadically dabbled in this stunt hobby for short periods over the last 30 years and want to get serious about it now that I have more time

RandySmith:

--- Quote from: John Skukalek on December 31, 2019, 03:39:16 PM ---This is a question for Randy. Based on the very valuable information that you have provided throughout this thread, I have learned how to get the oil % in my fuel to levels that I have targeted. I buy Omega fuel at my local hobby shop. The mfg shows 17 % of combined synthetic and castor oil. Understanding that the 17% is based on weight, I convert the 17% to a volume % using 81% which results in 13.8 %(volume). I add castor oil to raise the combined oil % to 22% for my Brodak 25, Brodak 40, OS 40 FP, OS 25 LA. I add castor oil to raise the combined oil % to 28% for my Fox 35's, OS max 35(Art Adamisin reworked) and worn out Super Tiger 46s.

My primary question is with regard to the nitro %. What is the conversion % for it? It's not the same 81% is it? The omega fuel that I buy to start with is labeled 10% nitro.

Also, I have an old OS max 10 and OS max 15. Do they like the 28% oil and 10% nitro? More nitro?

Any thoughts/recommendations with respect to what I am doing as described above?

I am looking for the 2-4-2 break.(for the 35 - 46 motors)

Thanks for all of the information that you share.

I have sporadically dabbled in this stunt hobby for short periods over the last 30 years and want to get serious about it now that I have more time

--- End quote ---

hi John

The nitro is  the heaviest component, it weighs more than the oil or methanol. So the 10% nitro is slack, and  adding oil makes it lower, I would suggest if you need 10%  , then buy 15% Omega, and by the time you add oil, it will be  close to  real 10%. At least if you buy 1 gallon of the 15 and try it, you will know if that will work for you

Randy

Colin McRae:
Great article. I am getting back into CL after many years.

I thought I would share this fuel mix calculator spreadsheet in case anyone is interested.

It is based on 32 oz finished volume after the mix.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version