News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:51:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel , GLO-plug and running tips  (Read 37629 times)

Offline Ghost123uk

• ghost123uk
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
  • Control line flying in Chester, N.W. UK
    • Computer Support
Re: Fuel , GLO-plug and running tips
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2019, 03:04:15 AM »
Hi all from the UK

I have read Randy's words at the top of this topic but was curious as to folks views on the following.

I am a keen user of the old OS Max motors. The earlier ones with the strap on muffler. I use a .40 in a stunter and I use a couple of .25's in "sport stunters".

My .40 is now suffering from lack of compression and one of my 25's is getting slack and has some big end wear.

I was very fortunate to source a very good nick .40 and a new "old stock" .25  8)

I want these to last, so I did some research. I have for a long time been using 20% Castor and 5% Nitro. I now realise that these old iron / steel motors should have around 25% oil for "our" use.

My question is this. If I were to buy a fuel that is 18% Klotz Super Techniplate oil (which has 20% Castor in it) and then add 7% more Castor, that would give me a total of 25% oil, of which 14.4% would be synthetic and 10.6% would be Castor. Would that be a good mix?

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2019, 08:10:58 AM »
Hi all from the UK

I have read Randy's words at the top of this topic but was curious as to folks views on the following.

I am a keen user of the old OS Max motors. The earlier ones with the strap on muffler. I use a .40 in a stunter and I use a couple of .25's in "sport stunters".

My .40 is now suffering from lack of compression and one of my 25's is getting slack and has some big end wear.

I was very fortunate to source a very good nick .40 and a new "old stock" .25  8)

I want these to last, so I did some research. I have for a long time been using 20% Castor and 5% Nitro. I now realise that these old iron / steel motors should have around 25% oil for "our" use.

My question is this. If I were to buy a fuel that is 18% Klotz Super Techniplate oil (which has 20% Castor in it) and then add 7% more Castor, that would give me a total of 25% oil, of which 14.4% would be synthetic and 10.6% would be Castor. Would that be a good mix?

HI
The answer to your question is  Yes, that mix will be a much better formula than the one  you have been using, the engine will get better protection, and will last longer

Randy

Offline Ghost123uk

• ghost123uk
  • New Pilot
    • Computer Support
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2019, 08:34:00 AM »
Thanks for the input Randy  8)

Just checking one thing , would it be OK to use the 14.4% Synth / 10.6% Castor on the used engines?
Hoping the Synth content won't clean off any "sealing" castor residue from the piston liner seal......

I will use the mix on the "new old stock" OS .25 Max I am about to run in though

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
Thanks for the input Randy  8)

Just checking one thing , would it be OK to use the 14.4% Synth / 10.6% Castor on the used engines?
Hoping the Synth content won't clean off any "sealing" castor residue from the piston liner seal......

I will use the mix on the "new old stock" OS .25 Max I am about to run in though

That would depend on how  bad the  castor build up is,  Are the  sides of the  piston Dark Brown? or do you still see the metal?

Offline Ghost123uk

• ghost123uk
  • New Pilot
    • Computer Support
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2019, 02:10:58 AM »
I have 5 of these engines (old type OS MAX) and they show varying degrees of "coating" on the piston, from a "new old stock" one I am currently running in, to very well used ones (including one which is now in the "spares only" bin as it is clapped out and has a lot of big end play). Last Thursday I flew both all three models that I have that use the OS40MAX and the OS25MAX engines on 5% nitro / 20% castor, with added Castor (Southern model craft brand) to make it up to 25%. I used the same plug (OS 8 ). I found that the run and the nice 4-2-4 break was still fine, no issues arose. More muck on the wing however (as expected). I did not detect any variation in temperature on landing, but was only using the finger on the head method!!

In view of this I have decided to play it safe and keep it simple, by just adding castor to bring it up to the OS recommendation of 23% to 25%, I will use 25% as I am not after every last bit of power and wish the motors I have to last.

I did the maths and adding the extra 5% castor brings the Nitro content down to 4.8%, which I very much doubt makes any difference from the 5% original.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 03:24:26 AM by Ghost123uk »

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2019, 03:39:16 PM »
This is a question for Randy. Based on the very valuable information that you have provided throughout this thread, I have learned how to get the oil % in my fuel to levels that I have targeted. I buy Omega fuel at my local hobby shop. The mfg shows 17 % of combined synthetic and castor oil. Understanding that the 17% is based on weight, I convert the 17% to a volume % using 81% which results in 13.8 %(volume). I add castor oil to raise the combined oil % to 22% for my Brodak 25, Brodak 40, OS 40 FP, OS 25 LA. I add castor oil to raise the combined oil % to 28% for my Fox 35's, OS max 35(Art Adamisin reworked) and worn out Super Tiger 46s.

My primary question is with regard to the nitro %. What is the conversion % for it? It's not the same 81% is it? The omega fuel that I buy to start with is labeled 10% nitro.

Also, I have an old OS max 10 and OS max 15. Do they like the 28% oil and 10% nitro? More nitro?

Any thoughts/recommendations with respect to what I am doing as described above?

I am looking for the 2-4-2 break.(for the 35 - 46 motors)

Thanks for all of the information that you share.

I have sporadically dabbled in this stunt hobby for short periods over the last 30 years and want to get serious about it now that I have more time

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2019, 06:52:55 PM »
This is a question for Randy. Based on the very valuable information that you have provided throughout this thread, I have learned how to get the oil % in my fuel to levels that I have targeted. I buy Omega fuel at my local hobby shop. The mfg shows 17 % of combined synthetic and castor oil. Understanding that the 17% is based on weight, I convert the 17% to a volume % using 81% which results in 13.8 %(volume). I add castor oil to raise the combined oil % to 22% for my Brodak 25, Brodak 40, OS 40 FP, OS 25 LA. I add castor oil to raise the combined oil % to 28% for my Fox 35's, OS max 35(Art Adamisin reworked) and worn out Super Tiger 46s.

My primary question is with regard to the nitro %. What is the conversion % for it? It's not the same 81% is it? The omega fuel that I buy to start with is labeled 10% nitro.

Also, I have an old OS max 10 and OS max 15. Do they like the 28% oil and 10% nitro? More nitro?

Any thoughts/recommendations with respect to what I am doing as described above?

I am looking for the 2-4-2 break.(for the 35 - 46 motors)

Thanks for all of the information that you share.

I have sporadically dabbled in this stunt hobby for short periods over the last 30 years and want to get serious about it now that I have more time

hi John

The nitro is  the heaviest component, it weighs more than the oil or methanol. So the 10% nitro is slack, and  adding oil makes it lower, I would suggest if you need 10%  , then buy 15% Omega, and by the time you add oil, it will be  close to  real 10%. At least if you buy 1 gallon of the 15 and try it, you will know if that will work for you

Randy

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2022, 05:39:09 PM »
Great article. I am getting back into CL after many years.

I thought I would share this fuel mix calculator spreadsheet in case anyone is interested.

It is based on 32 oz finished volume after the mix.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here