News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:06:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Filter touches engine case  (Read 648 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fuel Filter touches engine case
« on: April 20, 2023, 06:11:54 PM »
If the barrel of the fuel filter is touching the engine case or the muffler, does that cause an engine to stop or run bad?

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fuel Filter touches engine case
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 10:43:25 PM »
If the barrel of the fuel filter is touching the engine case or the muffler, does that cause an engine to stop or run bad?

It most certainly will. it transfers heat, and it causes to fuel in the filter to get hot and "boil". I have seen models start off fine, then start to lean out, and then quit. Just to test what you have, put a piece of 1/8" balsa between the filter and where it makes contact with the engine, and then put in a few flights.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 11:36:21 PM »
Chances are that the contact area between the filter and the engine case is so small that relatively little thermal conduction is occuring between the two parts. Thermal conduction is a function of contact area and contact resistance. Unless you have a LOT of castor acting as "thermal grease" you probably aren't getting much conduction that will heat up the fuel. And, the fuel continues to flow thru the filter providing "cooling" to the filter housing so you should get to a steady state and stable operating point.

You can certainly experiment with better contact isolation, but you may be getting more heat transfer (in a full fuselage plane) due to trapped air convection if the tank is in stagnant pocket along with radiation heating. On a profile I can't imagine much of an effect. I have seen engine cases that were dinged from the filter constantly in contact (or just vibrating and hitting it repeatedly) and they ran fine.

Where I have seen hot fuel affect an engine run is on a rear exhaust racing plane with no heatshield between the stack and the tank. Runs fine for 5-10 laps, then leans out and gets flaky and quits. Should have gone another 30 laps, but the fuel was all boiled off.

To show how insensitive it can be, I attached a picture of a racing plane that did well at the Nats one year. Rear exhaust. No standoff baffle but just an aluminum heat shield. Might have been aluminum tape. Ran fine and didn't boil off the fuel which was important in an endurance event. He probably took home wood that year....

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 06:20:12 AM »
Thanks for these answers.  It did run correctly and then just stop.  I will fix this problem.  I may use a rubber band(S) to keep the tube back against the tank and then thread it over to the nipple of the spraybar.  I'll figure something out.

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 08:01:02 AM »
Would contact between a fuel filter and the motor induce additional vibration to the fuel delivery system causing bubbles and leaning?

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 10:06:00 AM »
I'd suggest it's something else like a bad glow plug or air leak somewhere.  My cowlings are tight and in most cases the filter will be in contact with the engine almost continuously , yet no problems like this.  You may also check to see if the spray bar jet hole(s) are clear.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 11:34:44 AM »
Would contact between a fuel filter and the motor induce additional vibration to the fuel delivery system causing bubbles and leaning?

This can be an issue also. I have seen the problem solved both ways by isolating the filter with a wedge of balsa. I had a discussion with Henry Nelson once about this subject and included mounting metal remote needle valves to metal brackets right to an engine. That and some experiences have led me to always leave some kind of space between the filter and the fuel line when routing it on a model. Some models are pretty tight under a cowling but I always take that into consideration when building. I make a good effort to not let the fuel system touch NOTHING!! Then that doesn't leave any room for doubt.
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 06:57:37 PM »
  Something else that will wreak havok is a plugged up tongue muffler. Had it happen on my Nobler. It would run fine until I came out of the inside loops, and then quit at the bottom of the third one just as I leveled out. It was running a little quieter, but I did not put 2 and 2 together until as a last resort I actually looked at it. The holes were almost completely plugged.
Jim Kraft

Offline George Fruhling

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 11:42:11 PM »
Vibration could cause bubbles and effect mixture.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here