News:

• June 01, 2024, 10:49:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: O.S .35 S Spinner options?  (Read 1480 times)

Offline rob biddle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
O.S .35 S Spinner options?
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:44:39 PM »
   Hi all,
 I scored a tidy O.S 35 S from a swap meet a couple of years ago that I'm about to use for a classic project.

I noticed that the threaded part of the crankshaft is not a screw in stud, but is part of the crankshaft and is a bit too short to fit a 2" Dubro spinner.

Just wondering if any body knew of any alternative that would fit o.k?

The only spinners at the Lhs are Dubro and I didn't want to order a different type without being sure that it was going to fit.

Thanks in advance, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: O.S .35 S Spinner options?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:42:47 PM »
Depends on how carried away you want to get. Randy Smith has a very nice aluminum spinner that would likely work fine, but it's not as inexpensive as the plastic jobs. You could probably use one of the Great Planes spinners that have the aluminum back plate and plastic cone. They use a couple of screws to bolt the spinner to the back plane and you can just use the regular prop nut. They are pretty inexpensive.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tom Martin

• 2014 Supporters
  • New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:59:29 PM »
The Max S .35 engines have two different length crankshafts. The short one is 3/4 " from the drive washer to the tip of the threads. The other one is 1/8 " longer. These measurements include the thin steel thrust washer.
If you have one of the short ones, it is indeed difficult to mount a spinner backplate & an average thickness propeller.
Perhaps some of the other guys have run into this problem & will share their way of dealing with it.
Tom Martin
Tulsa Glue Dobbers Control Line Club member

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 12:54:44 AM »
Brodak...

Has a recesed prop nut, lighter than the Great Planes and less expensive than others.

Offline mark eisenhut

• Lieutenant
    • madphotos.net
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 06:58:30 AM »
i have the same problem on all my motors are you soupose to just run the nut with out the washer if not how do you do it
mark eisenhut

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 07:20:55 AM »
With a Brodak spinner and probably others.. You replace the prop washer and prop nut with a recessed adaptor that holds the spinner cone on. See photos of a Brodak adapter.. This uses all the available threads after the prop is installed.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 12:40:43 PM »
This is the same layout as the Randy Smith units and others. Works pretty well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 04:19:42 PM »
  Thanks Guys,

I'm fairly sure that mine has the short crankshaft as I can just get an average 10" prop on with the nut and washer,
without a spinner.

This leaves about 1/16" of crankshaft protruding through the nut, about the minimum I'd like to see with a spinner fitted.

Looks like the Brodak prop nut and washer would be the easiest and most cost affective solution.

I am building the Montgomery models "Ramrod", which is of similar proportions to the Still Stuka. (48" span)

It doesn't require a great deal of wood (mostly from the scrap box) and one of the more expensive spinner options would probably cost more than this entire model.

Thanks again, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 05:19:11 PM »
Rob,

Another option that doesn't cost a fortune?

Fox makes Shaft Extensions that are intended to move the back of the prop further forward. These come in 1/2" and 3/4" length, AsIR. Steel extension nuts are 5/16" outer diameter and the idea is to drill the prop to fit that. The aluminum extension nuts are 3/8" OD, which means a lot of prop has to be drilled out.

You don't need the spacer spool from these extensions... You might need to cut some off the rear of the extension nut to match where the threads end on your engine's shaft. The extension nuts come with a properly fitting washer for the front of the prop, and with the spacer spool already mentioned.

"Standard" shaft threads for mid-size engines are 1/4-28 thread, or a similar metric size. One sixteenth of an inch is more than one full turn beyond the nut, in fact, almost two full turns. Aircraft specs for bolted fittings used to be to have from one to three threads visible past the nut. I imagine that still applies.. More just adds weight, and less is harder to be sure of...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:29:56 PM »
With a Brodak spinner and probably others.. You replace the prop washer and prop nut with a recessed adaptor that holds the spinner cone on. See photos of a Brodak adapter.. This uses all the available threads after the prop is installed.

Bob I have tried the Brodak adapter with mine but only with the thrust washer behind the spinner plate.  I will try it without the thrust washer and see how it works. 
Thanks
Steve Thornton
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 03:51:12 AM »
  Hi all,
 I scored a tidy O.S 35 S from a swap meet a couple of years ago that I'm about to use for a classic project.

I noticed that the threaded part of the crankshaft is not a screw in stud, but is part of the crankshaft and is a bit too short to fit a 2" Dubro spinner.

Just wondering if any body knew of any alternative that would fit o.k?

The only spinners at the Lhs are Dubro and I didn't want to order a different type without being sure that it was going to fit.

Thanks in advance, Rob.

Have sent you email from closer to home Rob but it bounced!  Email me.   Can make you one and send it down on Monday.   Email your postal address.  By the way, the Ramrod uses a 1.75" spinner!

HH
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:12:11 AM by Dallas Hanna »

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »
 Hi Dallas, 

Thanks, you may not have noticed how old my original post was.

It's ironic as the ramrod is still unfinished, I had some paint compatibility issues and hung it on the wall and have been thinking recently about stripping and refinishing it.

This is the 2nd Ramrod I have built, the 1st was an excellent flier with a merco.35, though it just didn't look right covered with iron on film.
It was built to plan using an 1.75" spinner.

The 2nd Ramrod was built with a "lincoln log" style wing and I went to a 2" spinner to make things less fiddly around the engine.

As to adapting a spinner to the O.S.35s, nothing has been done there as I'd totally forgotten all about it.

Cheers, Rob..

Robert Biddle

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 11:38:25 PM »
That is an ancient post Rob.  It'll get you going again!  I got reminded by Ken D that 2012 was the year I said that I'd make a replica of his c1963 Angelique.  I'll have to get started soon!

HH

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 12:12:57 AM »
 Thanks Herb,

I could use a kick in the pants, that's for sure.

The Ramrod is next in line to refinish after I paint after the t-bird 2 that's just been recovered in polyspan.

I'm never going to have 3 unfinished models kicking around at the one time again, it's getting out of hand!

Cheers, Rob..
Robert Biddle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »
Just saw this one, didn't see it back in '07!

I have under cut the face of the prop right around the hole for the shaft.  Just enough to give more thread to catch.  I have seen others do it so I guess it isn't a problem (at least I have not had a problem).

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here