News:

• May 17, 2024, 11:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Frozen engines  (Read 8587 times)

Offline James C. Martin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Re: Frozen engines
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2014, 07:27:48 PM »
have found the easiest way is to pre heat the oven to 350 and borrow one of the wifes cookie sheets and bake them for about an hour thnn cool slightly handling them with oven mits and some penetrateing oil and they free right up

Offline Timothy Payne

• Mr Payne
  • Lieutenant
  • Classic Racer
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2014, 05:34:38 AM »
Nice job! Any stuck engines I get, I just soak them in paraffin. (If you can remove the cylinderhead and backplate prior to this all the better).

Tim

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »
Crock Pot?  I don't need no steenkin' crock pot!  A small electric hot plate and a Pyrex bowl is all I use.  It works just as good as a crock pot.  The engine doesn't know the difference!

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2014, 08:55:35 AM »
Just a mention that all frozen engines need not be "Frozen"! I was given an Elfin 2.49 diesel (the second Elfin that I got hold of recently. Not a lot of the usual things worked, but I eventually got the piston out with a wooden drift!
I cleaned everything up and oiled the piston and slid it into the liner. The piston top got as far as the exhaust ports (360 degree radial ports in the parlance of the day), it then stuck solid! The liner must have been distorted in a crash and there isn't much meat in the pillars separating the radial ports!
I am now considering if I can hone the bore out oversize and make a new piston. I am a sucker for basket case engines!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
I have a completely frozen fox 35

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2014, 06:57:02 PM »
I have a completely frozen fox 35

1/2 hour in a 190 degree crockpot  will fix your frozen FOX !!

Randy

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »
Here is a trick no one has mentioned... I had a ASP 46.. it was so frozen the piston wouldn't move with no amount of heat.. so.. I resorted to my last resort ...bear in mind the bearings were filthy... I heated the engine on the gas stove ... and then immersed it in acetone... the liner broke free and came right out.. the amount of dark sludge came pouring out of the engine... Rule #1 for using this stuff is you need air "escaping" at the top of the piston.. I put oil on the piston and heat it up.. you will see bubbles ... This engine was crock potted and the piston still would not budge.. acetone broke it free instantly... This tip comes from Bob Allen of Enya Fame... read this link... I was amazed. I rebuild or refurbish about 200 engines a yr..

JJ

http://www.supercoolprops.com/articles/sticky_situation.php

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here