News:

• April 16, 2024, 04:47:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: frozen diesel help  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Charles Hofacker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
frozen diesel help
« on: December 01, 2020, 09:34:33 AM »
Hi,
I have two PAW diesel engines, one .19 and one TBR.40 that are "stuck"/"frozen". They have been in a box in my closet for a long tme. I cleaned them up before I put them away but apparently not well enough. In both engines both the piston and the contra piston are stuck solid. I've tried crock potting them overnight and I.ve tried soaking them in kerosene overnight. I've also tried soaking then in penetrating oil. So far no luck in freeing them up. Do you think I have ruined these engines thru improper storage? Any suggestions on how to free them up? Does Eric Clutton  DR. Diesel do repairs (I haven't called him yet...)? or would it be better to simply replace them? Thoughts?, Comments?
Oh, By the way I had the .19 on a Fancherized Twister and it flew very nicely. When they run right they are a pleasure to fly especially for a beginner like me. I was thinking about putting the .19 on a Mustunt I.

Offline Charles Hofacker

• Lieutenant
Re: frozen diesel help
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »
Yeah, I ran them on 30,30,30 PAW mix. Guess I'll give Eric Clutton a call and see if he does repairs. Thanks for your help

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 04:14:33 PM »
Charles,
Before you send the engine off to be worked over try first putting in a little diesel fuel and let it soak. The ether in the fuel is a really good solvent and generally loosens them up. Another approach is to do the crocked pot soak in anti-freeze or transmission oil for a few days. Then take it out, dry off and use a heat gun to warm (read that as heat) the case, cylinder, exhaust port area, let the heat soak in so you have to use a kitchen mitt to hold the engine and with a prop on it gently start to turn it over. Once you get it moving regular solvents (or diesel fuel, but don't flip it) will get it loose. Once you get it loose take the backplate off and make sure the connecting rod moves freely back and forth on the crankpin and wrist pin. Many engines got ruined when the conrod wasn't loosened up before running. If it is stuck use the heat gun to heat the wrist pin area. Let us know how it goes.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 03:47:09 AM »
With a high percentage castor based fuel that's left to harden in a twin ball race engine there are much bigger worried than the contra and piston being freed.
The bearing need to be absolutely clear of any crystallised sediment become running and simply heating the case and putting some excess fuel through it won't do it.
Once the rolling elements in the race start to skid in their cages and develop a flat spot, however small, the races must be replaced.
The back plate must be unscrewed , take the rod off the big end by removing the piston/liner and make sure that the crank spins perfectly freely.
Coming in late here Is know bit better late than never.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 07:56:47 AM »
I don't have a diesel at present, but I'm curious what steps a person should take after the last engine run to keep it from freezing up during a long storage.

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, Missouri

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 11:40:17 AM »
I don't have a diesel at present, but I'm curious what steps a person should take after the last engine run to keep it from freezing up during a long storage.

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, Missouri
I suppose firstly recognise that it's not a "Diesel" problem but a high castor and oxidation one.
Having said that flushing with kerosene is good as I can't imagine who has an ether/ keep mix sans oil ready for use but anyway.
Prevent oxidation by Double zip lock bagging and the liberal use of a high detergent oil to keep whats left in there in suspension and thus harmless.
Because let's face it, you are not going to eject all of the castor simply by flushing without dismantling.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Atilano Suarez

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 01:46:53 PM »
Charles, put the stuck parts in water with detergent and make it boil for a good while.
I had a engine I forgot to clean after use and put away for a few years. This solution worked for me.
After unstuck, disassembled all the parts, cleaned a bit more, lubricated, reassembled and voilà  ;D

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 02:54:55 PM »
I'd put them back in the crockpot and put on high heat for 24 hrs or more. Pull it out a few times and put ice cubes on the engine to do a cold shock cycle, then back into the pot. That worked for me on rock hard Marvel Mystery Oil but it took over 48 hrs in the crock pot to break the engine loose.   
Bill P.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 05:45:07 PM »
Cant Beat Heat . C.R.C. Cycle .

The Castor can dry like glue . AS GLUE !! .

Therefore it can take a week or two , for starters , to penetrate/ disole up the side of a piston ,

Thus the heat cycle does wonders . If Not Miracales . The Time Factor alows those to eventuate . Forceing it over can see the wrist pin or conrod go bye bye , or maybe snap the crank pin .
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:57:32 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 04:08:44 PM »

Maris Dislers recommends mixing up a small batch of fuel using mineral oil rather than castor, and giving the engine a quick run with this prior to putting it away. I haven’t tried it myself yet, but apparently it removes any tendency to gum up.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 08:35:43 AM »
Myself, I like an oven to free engines.  225, 250, 275, depending.  But don't bend the rod with too much force.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here