News:

• April 23, 2024, 08:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FP25 NVA hole angle  (Read 2871 times)

Online Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
FP25 NVA hole angle
« on: March 08, 2019, 07:28:46 PM »
I just converted an FP 25 to C/L.  What is the optimum angle for the hole in the NVA?

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: FP25 NVA hole angle
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 07:49:43 PM »
In engines where the spray bar is in the center of of the intake tube, typical practice is to have the NVA hole pointing into the engine along the same path the intake air follows.  Scribing, filing or cutting an orientation mark on the spray bar can help speed the installation and ease field checking.

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 05:54:19 AM »
In other words, the same angle as the angle of the venture's slope toward the engine.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
In other words, the same angle as the angle of the venture's slope toward the engine.

In still other words, just point the hole at the crankshaft.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 10:52:43 AM »

There was someone of noted good repute that did a flow bench test on this and came up with having the hole about 10 to 20 degrees towards the cylinder. This was the area of the highest vacuum. At that point you still can't see the hole. I have had that help some engines just a bit, but generally just point it straight down the throat of the venturi also, Most spray bars have the hole line up with one of the flats on the nipple end. I notch that with a file for reference. I have several of Jim Lee's handy socket tools for both sides of the NVA. OS needles take metric sizes and ST NVAs are standard, 1/4" I believe. A 1/4" nut driver is in my tool box also. Sockets are WAY better that haviing needle nose pliers slip off all the time and well worth the investment.
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »
Therewas a Kiwi artical ,saying you needed it 45 degrees back, for hot restarts , racing .

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 03:54:21 PM »
I just used this engine for the first time today, since converting it.  It took five flights to get it adjusted correctly.  The fifth time was wonderful.  I finally have an engine to pull my second Shark 402.  I think I can have some real flying with this combo. I have to set it to almost a straight out full two cycle run.  Then after taking off, it slows down a bit.  As soon as I begin to maneuver, it runs full bore.   Does that sound normal?

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 07:12:51 PM »
I just used this engine for the first time today, since converting it.  It took five flights to get it adjusted correctly.  The fifth time was wonderful.  I finally have an engine to pull my second Shark 402.  I think I can have some real flying with this combo. I have to set it to almost a straight out full two cycle run.  Then after taking off, it slows down a bit.  As soon as I begin to maneuver, it runs full bore.   Does that sound normal?

That sounds very normal. Your ground setting for the needle will sound different on the ground because you are holding the model back and putting some extra load on the engine. Once you release, it will change a bit, accelerate out, and by the time you get 3/4 to 1 lap around, you are starting to generate some centrifugal force on the fuel in the tank, and that increases the head pressure of the fuel being fed into the engine and if everything is nice, tight and sealed it will richen up a bit, that is exactly what should happen. The newer engines are pretty sensitive to needle settings, and that is why I use a tachometer to set the needle. I find it hard to hear 100 to 200 RPM difference and sometimes that is all you need to change. You don't really care what the RPM is, you just need to know the number because you are just using the tach setting for a reference. It's the same whether on muffler pressure or venting to atmosphere. Pressure can some times help settle a run down, and sometimes taking it off pressure does. Experiment with props also. Different props will load the engine differently without changing anything else. Get and record lap times. This is starting to get into the area of fine tuning your run, and some times subtle changes will make a big difference. At this point, I think you should tach you engine every run, time your engine run duration, and time every flight like it's a contest by simulating a signal and start, or at least time the engine run duration from the point where the engine starts. You are heading in the right direction.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »

More or less. It should be running a medium 2-stroke in level flight, and lean out to near peak in the leanest point. It should never go "over the top" lean and sag. If you think the difference between level flight and maneuvering is excessive, and you are already using the correct propellor (APC 9-4), you can add muffler pressure to slightly reduce that. Any other prop, switch to an APC 9-4.

Presumably, you put the needle valve in with the hole facing down axis of the venturi. If not, move it so it is, then try again.

The 25FP is not *nearly* as steady in flight as the 20FP or "new" 25LA, but should be good enough. On such a small airplane, your likely issue will be that it is too fast when set correctly. If it was running very steadily, you could tolerate the speed (the 20FP/Skyray goes pretty fast, but it's like slow-motion in the maneuvers because it runs so steadily - and the same thing works with piped 61s and 75s...). But too much acceleration and you lose that.

Brett

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 01:51:53 PM »
What plugs are you using in your FP 25's?

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 03:13:27 PM »
When you say that the 25FP is not as steady as the 20FP I am trying to understand what you are describing? I understand how the 20 works with the 2030 muffler to hold back and help control wind up. How close can you come with the 25 running the low pitch/high rpm (maybe a little lower pitch to control lap time) and a little more diameter?

I like to setup my ships for tough wind conditions as that is what we get for second round at our contests down here in FL. Seems like using the low pitch/high rpm setup with as much diameter as you can get the motor to spin at the needed rpm has worked well. For me drive through the vertical eight is a good test in tough wind. Under these conditions you can get blown down as you come to the top of the top loop if the ship is light and weak on pulling power. For me diameter is what will give drive power.

Best,   DennisT

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 03:28:59 PM »
What plugs are you using in your FP 25's?

Either whatever came with it from OS, or, old Thunderbolt 4-stroke plugs from the RO-Jett, with the taters scraped off. Any normal stunt plug I have tried will work OK, far as I know.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 03:45:05 PM »
When you say that the 25FP is not as steady as the 20FP I am trying to understand what you are describing? I understand how the 20 works with the 2030 muffler to hold back and help control wind up. How close can you come with the 25 running the low pitch/high rpm (maybe a little lower pitch to control lap time) and a little more diameter?

I like to setup my ships for tough wind conditions as that is what we get for second round at our contests down here in FL. Seems like using the low pitch/high rpm setup with as much diameter as you can get the motor to spin at the needed rpm has worked well. For me drive through the vertical eight is a good test in tough wind. Under these conditions you can get blown down as you come to the top of the top loop if the ship is light and weak on pulling power. For me diameter is what will give drive power.

It will also tend to give you the problem that Allen is having in other conditions - bigger prop means more load change from level flight to maneuvering, which causes it to take off in the maneuvers, AND, since you have a much more efficient prop, you are inclined to slow it down, also causing the same problem, because it also reduces the fuel draw.

The reason the 25 is not as steady as the 20 is open to debate, but mostly, with the 10" props you tend to get the problem Allen is having, and with 9" props, it has so much more power that you tend to blow through the very weak regulation you get with the muffler - which is also what happens with the 40FP, just not as much.

I was addressing Allen's problem specifically, using a configuration that I have tried and understand, and knows "works" to first approximation. I have seen the "I can easily swing a 10" prop" configuration over and over, with the sort of issues he was having. Usually, with a 10" prop, you end up having to run a smaller venturi.

Brett

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 05:12:53 PM »
I have some O.S. # 8's.   I can't see a clue on the one I'm using.  Not sure what it is. But, it's working!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 07:53:12 PM »
  Allen;
   When I answered your post about trying the FP-25, You said it slowed down after take off, then when you started to maneuver, it'went full bore."  But you didn't say if settled back down after a maneuver, or ran away for the rest of the tank? You also didn't mention what prop you were using, and I'm curious about that. It it holding speed and setting well to the end of the tank? Are you running muffler pressure or vented to atmosphere? Is it a uniflow tank? Plastic of store bought metal? I answered assuming that you had a complete run with satisfactory results. I have used FP-25's on a SIG Primary Force with some success. It's a bigger and heavier airplane (45 ounces I think) than the Shark 402, and I used an APC 10-4 prop. I think the FP puts out more raw power than the LA.25 and on models that are Ringmaster size, I have had easier times setting them up with the LA, and I use Glow Devil R/C long on pretty much everything, or Thunderbolt
    Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 05:46:44 AM »
Hi Dan,

I only had a real good run the last run.  So, when the weather cooperates again, and I can do three or four flights in a row.  I will be able to describe the run better.  It seemed to go to peek when I started to do loops and settled down a bit after the maneuver.  I'll keep on experimenting.

Allen

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 01:16:04 PM »
I just flew two more flights today.  I flew one with the 9/6 APC prop on that I had before.  That was too fast.  I changed to an APC 9/4 which was a bit tamer.  With both props it behaved like 4-2-4 which is great to me.  It powered up when I pointed the nose up. I am very content with the engine. 

Actually, I don't know what plug I am using as it has no markings. I have a bunch of O.S. # 8's which I will use after this one blows which I am not expecting soon.

I may have to consider longer lines.  I was flying on 52 foot lines and it was pretty fast, even with the 9/4.  I may make a 56 foot set.

Anyway, this is my first FP 25.  It seems to beat the Fox 35 I have. 

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 04:36:40 PM »
Please note that as any engine warms up, it goes leaner. Usually happens just before the pilot picks up the handle. I watch a lot of guys start their engine and walk to the circle center without adjusting the NV, while others (including me) carefully let the engine warm up and then set the NV by tachometer. I guess everybody has the right to do as they please, but you need to be consistent about it for best results.  y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 07:34:30 PM »
I just flew two more flights today.  I flew one with the 9/6 APC prop on that I had before.  That was too fast.  I changed to an APC 9/4 which was a bit tamer.  With both props it behaved like 4-2-4 which is great to me.  It powered up when I pointed the nose up. I am very content with the engine. 

Actually, I don't know what plug I am using as it has no markings. I have a bunch of O.S. # 8's which I will use after this one blows which I am not expecting soon.

I may have to consider longer lines.  I was flying on 52 foot lines and it was pretty fast, even with the 9/4.  I may make a 56 foot set.

Anyway, this is my first FP 25.  It seems to beat the Fox 35 I have.

Oh goodness! Put 60-62' lines, use a 9-4 APC, and crank it up.

Brett

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 08:36:37 PM »
I always start out with short lines until I am confident that the ship will stay out there.  I have had some trouble getting my ships to stay taught on the end of the lines.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 08:47:43 PM »
I always start out with short lines until I am confident that the ship will stay out there.  I have had some trouble getting my ships to stay taught on the end of the lines.

With a 25FP on 60' lines, with the engine running correctly (i.e. in a two-stroke, all the time), line tension will not be an issue! Going like a bat out of Hades, well, that might be a problem It is, vastly, vastly, more powerful and more effective than a Fox 35.

Use .015x60 or 62' lines to start with. Use an APC 9-4. Set the engine by peaking it out - lean it into a 2-stroke, lean it out slowly until it just starts to sag, then back off until you are running as lean as it can without sagging off. Then open the needle 3-4 clicks. This should cause a distinct drop in the RPM, but still far into a 2-stroke.

In-flight, check that it is running in a medium 2 in level flight, and then leans out to near peak in the maneuvers. If it sags anywhere, you set it too lean to start with, next flight, open the needle one click, try again, keep doing that until you just peak out without sagging. If it has too much difference between the level flight and maneuver speed, it's probably too rich, so lean it out a click on the next flight. If it ever 4-strokes for more than a cycle or two, then you are certainly too rich.

This is a video of how it is supposed to run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS6v8y7F4QA&frags=pl%2Cwn  (great from the start, but for this thread, jump to 4:21)

Note that this is a 25LA (less powerful than the 25FP) on a 400-square inch SIG Skyray 35, .015x62' lines. Its going 4.6 second laps, and note the gentle, wafting, 15 mph breeze. And also that the 15 MPH breeze seems to have little effect on it, aside from making it feel like it is going to pull the bellcrank out.

Brett
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:17:20 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 12:21:57 PM »
  In still other words, just point the hole at the crankshaft.

Brett

So what happened to the gospel of positioning the single hole facing rearward and 10 degrees down from perpendicular to the  venturi slope? Is pointing the hole at the crankshaft a side mount vs upright engine issue?

Ara
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 02:14:00 PM by Ara Dedekian »

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 05:20:08 PM »
Brett, wow, that LA-25 is pulling great.  I think I am going to like my FP.  Also I'm hoping to have an LA-25 soon also.

Allen

Online Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 06:24:54 PM »
One other comment.  This engine is running much better and more consistently with a venturi/NVA configuration than it was with carburetor wired open.  This is the the Enya NVA and venturi from Bob Brookens.  It was my first experience of drilling a case.  But it's way better than the other way.  I'm not sure this is the new set up that Ray Copeland is talking about.  I'm waiting to see how they are.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »
Brett,

Hope you don't mind if I piggy-back off this thread to ask an FP .25 question or two.

I jumped to buy an FP .25 at a good price and a day later remembered your BBTU rules say "DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, replace the spraybar and venturi with the "better ST needle" and/or a venturi from the "How I came in 4th at the 1956 East Podunk Stunt Exhibition and Chili Cook-off" venturi chart."   Well the FP .25 I bought has a Delrin venturi and ST NVA.  :(    I haven't received it yet so I don't know the diameter of the venturi.

I found a source on ebay (shttrman) who notes there are no more OS NVAs for the OS FP .20 - .46m, and says he has a newly made direct replacement for the original OS FP .20 - .46 Needle valve assembly. He also says, "No more drilling."    [He also sells Enya NVAs for OS FP .20 -.46.]    He also has original OS venturis for the OS FPs .20 - .46 in both 6 mm and 7  mm. 

Question #1: Is the ST spray bar a larger diameter than the original OS spray bar?  And if the ST is larger diameter, is there a way to go back to a smaller diameter OS spray bar?
Question #2: Which OS venturi is the correct one, the 6 mm or the 7 mm?  I'm guessing the 6 mm, but I'ld like to buy the correct one the first time.

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pederson

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 08:02:55 PM »
Brett,

Hope you don't mind if I piggy-back off this thread to ask an FP .25 question or two.

I jumped to buy an FP .25 at a good price and a day later remembered your BBTU rules say "DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, replace the spraybar and venturi with the "better ST needle" and/or a venturi from the "How I came in 4th at the 1956 East Podunk Stunt Exhibition and Chili Cook-off" venturi chart."   Well the FP .25 I bought has a Delrin venturi and ST NVA.  :(    I haven't received it yet so I don't know the diameter of the venturi.

I found a source on ebay (shttrman) who notes there are no more OS NVAs for the OS FP .20 - .46m, and says he has a newly made direct replacement for the original OS FP .20 - .46 Needle valve assembly. He also says, "No more drilling."    [He also sells Enya NVAs for OS FP .20 -.46.]    He also has original OS venturis for the OS FPs .20 - .46 in both 6 mm and 7  mm. 

Question #1: Is the ST spray bar a larger diameter than the original OS spray bar?  And if the ST is larger diameter, is there a way to go back to a smaller diameter OS spray bar?
Question #2: Which OS venturi is the correct one, the 6 mm or the 7 mm?  I'm guessing the 6 mm, but I'ld like to buy the correct one the first time.

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pederson

The correct *stock* OS venturi is 6.5mm/.257". The stock OS spraybar is 3.5mm/.137", and the Supertigre spraybar is 4.0 mm/.157". Changing to an ST spraybar and a stock venturi results in about a 25% loss of power. An equivalent, hopefully, venturi bore diameter for the Supertigre to give the same choke area (0.0184 square inches) is .274. The closest equivalent US drill size is a letter I drill. A metric drill that is kind of close, but on the wrong side (larger) is 7.0mm.

If anything, on the 25FP, I would err on the side of making it smaller - a letter I drill is nominally .272, it will make a hole about .274 under most circumstances. An adjustable reamer appears to be required to get it smaller than that, but bigger than the next smaller size (letter H at .266 and 17/64 at .2656).

For these tiny airplanes we are talking here, maybe a letter H drill, which will make a hole about .268 or so. It will reduce the power slightly (~9%) which may be helpful to keep them subsonic. Note that even 0.008" (8 thousandths, two thicknesses of paper) changes it by 10%.

For reference, a typical "adjustment" for a full-size stunt engine is .005", and this is a very noticeable effect. I have seen 0.005" change improve the engine so much that it probably raised the pilot's score by 40-ish points. So these changes need to be *subtle*  - changing it from , effectively, .257 to ~.240 by stuffing a much larger spraybar in it is a HUGE change that has very drastic effects on the power and characteristics of an engine run.

The way to restore the original configuration, assuming you have a proper 3.5mm spraybar, is to sleeve each end of the spraybar to make the diameter larger where it passes through the case and venturi. It looks like a "dogbone" when you are done, because you want the middle 6.5mm of it to stay .137, but about .155 or so for about 1/8" on each end. This is not terribly tricky as long as you are comfortable cutting small bits of tubing. You can cut a kerf along the axis of a piece of 7/32 OD tubing with a razor saw, compress it to close the kerf back up to fit tightly around the spraybar, then cut it into short lengths and J-B Weld them to the spraybar so it will line up with the case/venturi. It doesn't have to fit all that well, since this is just there to take up the space created by drilling the hole in the crankcase, but if necessary, file the kerf wider so that you can make it a spring fit on the spraybar. Keep the glue out of the obvious spots, or you will probably have to toss the entire thing and try again with a new one.

I might post some dimensions and pictures (but not with glue, because my engines don't actually have the holes drilled out) later or tomorrow.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 08:03:38 PM »
One other comment.  This engine is running much better and more consistently with a venturi/NVA configuration than it was with carburetor wired open.  This is the the Enya NVA and venturi from Bob Brookens.  It was my first experience of drilling a case.  But it's way better than the other way.  I'm not sure this is the new set up that Ray Copeland is talking about.  I'm waiting to see how they are.

Probably should have mentioned that the engine is modified. What is the venturi diameter?

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 08:09:16 PM »
        So what happened to the gospel of positioning the single hole facing rearward and 10 degrees down from perpendicular to the  venturi slope? Is pointing the hole at the crankshaft a side mount vs upright engine issue?

Ara

What "gospel" is that? Tilting the spraybar hole definitely does something, but to first approximation, I want to run the engine in a stock configuration, so we know where to start. It comes from the factory with the hole straight down the venturi bore, so unless there is some reason to change it, leave it alone. We know it works that way.  Once everything is working, then and only then, change it, and then you will have some idea what the effect is.

As always, experimenting is fine, but you have to start with a baseline working system (which running it stock will provide), then and only then, make one change at a time, fly a bunch of flights to remove random effects, then evaluate it. If it's better, leave it, if it is worse or no different, put it back. It's really not magic, just a matter of careful and controlled experiments and objective evaluation of the effect.

Brett

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 09:23:31 PM »
Brett,

You da man!   

Hopefully, whoever had the FP .25 previously and installed a super tigre NVA knew about the need to make the venturi .274 to compensate for the larger diameter super tigre spray bar.  It's not likely, but it is possible.  I'll check the venturi when the motor gets here.

But at least now I know what to do if the venturi isn't the correct size.  And I know how to restore the FP to original stock condition with OS parts.

I really appreciate it.

Joe Ed

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here