News:

• May 03, 2024, 03:39:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS 30 S engines  (Read 3664 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OS 30 S engines
« on: September 04, 2018, 11:39:43 AM »

Will the gut's from a30 S Max engine interchange with a 35 O S Stunt ?  I want to mount a muffler on the 30, but it doesn't have mounting holes in the block for a muffler, so any help or suggestions  will help..   thanks a lot
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline richardhfcl

• Lieutenant
  • AMA 82448
Re: OS 30 S engines
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 11:57:49 AM »
Gil,

The guts of the two engines will interchange, but you will need the head specific to the

30 or the 35.  You can get the case drilled to accommodate a bolt on muffler, also.
Richard Ferrell

AMA 82448

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 12:17:56 PM »
'Legger,

My understanding is that you can convert displacements between the OS Max-S.30 and the S.35.  I was told that the difference is the liner, piston and head. I looked up the factory instruction sheets and compared them, which shows the head gasket and piston pins are also different.

I have a pair of well-worn .30's and now a fairly good .35S. But I have not tried swapping parts--yet.

Regarding the muffler, I bought a pair of tongue mufflers for the 30s from Jim Lee. I had to modify the crankcases on both engines to provide a clearance hole, front and back, for these to mount properly. Put the case in a drill press to get the thru holes, then touched the bypass side with a Dremel to make a seat for the screw head. If I had a mill I would have spotfaced these instead.

I need to pull apart the .35S so I can put holes in the case on it. Still on the To Do list....

Good luck,

Dave

Part number comparison for OS Max-S .30
Piston and liner assembly     2S03
Cylinder Head                      2S04
Piston Pin                            2906
Head Gasket                        214A
Connecting Rod                    2305
Crankshaft                           3S02

OS Max-S .35
Piston and Liner Assy          3S03
Cylinder Head                     3S04
Piston Pin                            3506
Head Gasket                        3514A
Connecting Rod                    2305
Crankshaft                           3S02

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 02:37:38 PM »
  Will the gut's from a30 S Max engine interchange with a 35 O S Stunt ?  I want to mount a muffler on the 30, but it doesn't have mounting holes in the block for a muffler, so any help or suggestions  will help..   thanks a lot

The  parts  for 30 and 35  are  identical, except  for  piston sleeve  head  and  wrist pin, all else  is  interchangable
they use the  same muffler too, strap on, and if the  bolt on  OS jet Stream, they need  to have  tapped holes inside the edge of the  exhaust.  Many people  drill these all the  way thru, then they fit the  bolt span  of an  OS 25

Regards
Randy

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 08:24:45 PM »
And except the head gasket.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 08:31:02 PM »
  The  parts  for 30 and 35  are  identical, except  for  piston sleeve  head  and  wrist pin, all else  is  interchangable
they use the  same muffler too, strap on, and if the  bolt on  OS jet Stream, they need  to have  tapped holes inside the edge of the  exhaust.  Many people  drill these all the  way thru, then they fit the  bolt span  of an  OS 25

Regards
Randy

Randy,

I have a couple of OS Max S .35s.   I have seen OS Max S .35s on ebay with a strap on OS 703 muffler.  Do you have the 703 or is that an ebay item? I don't know what an OS Jestream muffler is, but is that also an ebay item?
  Could you tell me what the number is for the muffler that you said goes with an OS .25 (FP? LA?) and is that a muffler that is still stocked by you or other suppliers?  One of my OS Max S .35s is on a Cosmic Wind that needs nose weight.  The other is soon to go on a Francherized Twister given me by Doc Holliday and I suspect it will need nose weight as well.  Both of my engines have the holes inside the edge of the exhaust tapped.

Thanks,

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, Missouri

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 01:07:50 AM »
Randy,

I have a couple of OS Max S .35s.   I have seen OS Max S .35s on ebay with a strap on OS 703 muffler.  Do you have the 703 or is that an ebay item? I don't know what an OS Jestream muffler is, but is that also an ebay item?
  Could you tell me what the number is for the muffler that you said goes with an OS .25 (FP? LA?) and is that a muffler that is still stocked by you or other suppliers?  One of my OS Max S .35s is on a Cosmic Wind that needs nose weight.  The other is soon to go on a Francherized Twister given me by Doc Holliday and I suspect it will need nose weight as well.  Both of my engines have the holes inside the edge of the exhaust tapped.

Thanks,

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, Missouri

Hi Joe

I have tongue  mufflers  that will fit a  drill  OS 30 or  35  in stock for sale , and  ALL  the stock  FP or  LA 25s mufflers  will fit the  drilled  OS 30 or 35s,  The  Jet Stream muffler is 3 main pieces, and is the same  clam shell  type that  the  MERCO muffler is,  The  703  is  a  OS  strap on muffler,  YOu can find the  703s on Ebay or elsewhere, the Jet Stream is  a lot harder  to find
Do you have one that has been drilled? or  has  holes inside the  exhaust  tapped?

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 01:08:58 AM »
And except the head gasket.

Yep  the head gaskets  are different size, but the  backplate  gaskets  are  identical

Randy

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 05:56:57 AM »

Dave I sent you a P/M...Bootlegger
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Cody bishop

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 03:20:59 PM »
The muffler straps on not bolts on

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 05:47:38 PM »
Hi Joe

Do you have one that has been drilled? or  has  holes inside the  exhaust  tapped?

Randy

Randy,
 Both my OS Max S .35s have the holes inside the exhaust tapped.  Both have tongue mufflers, each of very different designs.  One is a fourty year old two piece tongue muffler and the other a contemporary tongue muffler.

By the way, will a stock OS Muffler for the .25 FP/LA cause an appreciable loss of power over the average tongue muffler?

Thanks,
Joe Ed

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »
Yes & No .

A Jetsream , but its for a 60 . as I hadnt seen one , thought others might notve too , thus here it is .

Heres a 35 with a BOLT ON Jetstream ,

Incidently . Theres about FOUR Variations in the casting inside the Ex Port , fore & Aft .

Early , long core , tapped
Shorter core back in , tapped ,
ditto, untapped ,
and no cores for tapping- presumeably on later 703 strap on mffler versions . ( post 1970 , 30 & 35 S came out about 1964 )

ALSO , incidently ! The part No. for the ROD , LINER , PIN , PISTON are as for the OS H 29 R .

so a fewmore pics

THISistheone with the sleeve etc interchangeable with the 30 S . timings 130/110 .
Further more & insofar  ???
Theres a V similar H 35 C . NOTHING ( much ) is interchangeable with these & the 35S , so Dont Try . Except the HEAD , which is wedge . The 35S Hemi one will go on . unless you want a wedge 35S . :P

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 06:13:32 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 06:07:00 PM »

Two of the exhaust variations. And Venturie . Some late ones had the fancier one .

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 07:09:27 PM »

OS sold  both strap on  and  bolt on mufflers  for the  30 and  35S

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 07:15:37 PM »

Randy,
 Both my OS Max S .35s have the holes inside the exhaust tapped.  Both have tongue mufflers, each of very different designs.  One is a fourty year old two piece tongue muffler and the other a contemporary tongue muffler.

By the way, will a stock OS Muffler for the .25 FP/LA cause an appreciable loss of power over the average tongue muffler?

Thanks,
Joe Ed

Hi Joe

A tongue muffler  will  not be  more restrictive,  the  most restrictive muffler  was the  stock  OS 703, it had a  tiny  exhaust hole, plus the  tongues  are  adjustable,  the  25  OS  stock muffler  for the  FP  or  LA  will  flow better than the  stock os  703,  The  best  flowing  lightest  tube  is  the  STOCK  OS  Jet Stream.
You also  must pay attention  to the  venturi  sizze when  you  switch mufflers, as  for  example   the  35S that came with a  703  had a venturi  larger  than .300,  mine  were .310 .  When using a  better flowing  muffler  you want to  use  a  .275 to .285 venturi

Randy

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 06:17:31 AM »
Hi Joe

A tongue muffler  will  not be  more restrictive,  the  most restrictive muffler  was the  stock  OS 703, it had a  tiny  exhaust hole, plus the  tongues  are  adjustable,  the  25  OS  stock muffler  for the  FP  or  LA  will  flow better than the  stock os  703,  The  best  flowing  lightest  tube  is  the  STOCK  OS  Jet Stream.
You also  must pay attention  to the  venturi  sizze when  you  switch mufflers, as  for  example   the  35S that came with a  703  had a venturi  larger  than .300,  mine  were .310 .  When using a  better flowing  muffler  you want to  use  a  .275 to .285 venturi

Randy

Randy,

Thanks. I'll keep the venturi size in mind.

Joe Ed

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 10:41:57 AM »
https://stunthanger.com/smf/classifieds-92/parts-ps-sets-cranks-cases-heads-os-st-magnum-royal-ops-etc/

There  are  many parts  for  the  OS 30 S  and  35S  here,  plus  I have  whole engines, both new  and  used

Randy

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 08:45:19 PM »
The Jetstream muffler is also one of the best "castor oil mess distribution devices" ever conceived by the mind of man. Exhaust leaks out of every inch of the slit, unless you do something about it.

Brett

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 08:15:22 PM »
Did you ever see one of those centrifuge-type mufflers that were advertised in old magazines? If I am remembering the picture right, the exhaust would come in tangentially and "spin out" the oil from the gases. Maybe they had a drain line. Maybe there was a trap or a sump? I might try something like that if anyone ever got it to work. I forget what they called it and who made it. Was not advertised much, and I've never actually seen one.

If it worked, it would be the opposite of your "leaky Jetstream" and just what we could use....

Dave

PS--Now that I think about it, I think I know how to do this. I'd just need to get Scott to weld up the parts. No seams, no leaks!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here