News:

• May 05, 2024, 01:23:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 40 Stunt  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Fox 40 Stunt
« on: November 02, 2017, 01:01:29 PM »
Saw one of these for 1st time at a club meeting last nite.  Good stunt motor, do they run like the 35 Stunt ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
Re: Fox 40 Stunt
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »
one of the guys in our group has one in a profile .runs a soft 2/4 and works very well
rad racer

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 07:23:51 PM »
           Is this the wide case .40 or the coffin back .40?   The wide case has a 4 bolt backplate and the coffin back has 6 bolt backplate.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 08:39:06 PM »
           Is this the wide case .40 or the coffin back .40?   The wide case has a 4 bolt backplate and the coffin back has 6 bolt backplate.
Wide case has a 4 bolt backplate.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:42:02 AM »
      Hello Allan:

The old Fox .40 Stunt circa 1972, four bolt back plate is an excellent stunt engine!  I had one on a Magician for years and one could not ask for a better engine. 

The story that I got was that it was a modification of an engine originally designed for Rat Racing.  It had changes made to it by a stunt "expert" to make it into a great stunt engine.  Yes, they are large and heavy but the 4-2-4 stunt run is great.  I ran mine on an 11x6 prop as per instructions with 5% fuel. Mine started very easily and was very consistent.  If you have a chance to try one, do yourself a favour and do it.

Best of luck,

Frank McCune

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 01:42:20 PM »
The stunt expert (If the model is what I am refering) was a real expert. George Aldrich.
I have two of them, one NIB......but canīt tell about the run, very busy with Mercos and ST 46, some day....

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 06:56:53 PM »
Hello
Peter Tindall won the UK Gold Trophy in 1974 with the early 4 bolt baffle piston Fox 40 on his Chipmonk semi scale model.
They are very light but I have not run mine on a model (yet) pic attached.
Have used the heavy weight coffin back (C frame ) and the later light weight 6 bolt back 40 (B frame) on models but very different styles of engines but good motors as well.
Regards Gerald

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 07:10:03 PM »
I had a Lew Woolard Fox .40 on a Profile Nobler with a foam wing which ran quite well. I sold it and it went the way of all flesh via macadam! Darn the luck anyway! Very nice four two four run as most of Lew's stuff runs!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »
Hello
Peter Tindall won the UK Gold Trophy in 1974 with the early 4 bolt baffle piston Fox 40 on his Chipmonk semi scale model.

They are pretty light, huge, and weak. They might be weaker than a stock Fox 35, but they run very smoothly with the exaggerated "Aldrich" setup (instant break back and forth, impressive change in the sound but little or no change in the power.

There was another type of Fox 40 stunt that looked like a 35 on the outside. I have only ever seen one of those, and I never saw it run.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 12:38:18 PM »
Hello
Have used the heavy weight coffin back (C frame ) and the later light weight 6 bolt back 40 (B frame) on models but very different styles of engines but good motors as well.
Regards Gerald

Hi Gerald  The one you picture was built by fox back in the 70s, it is a 4/2 setup engine, teh run very smooth and will turn a  1 x 6 prop, I had a good friend that used them on a 56 inch large stunt ship, ..large for the day...   They are not light but they do run well.  I have several of them here, as well as a new one  George Aldrich  did the design work for DUKE on this engine
You can vary venturi size a small amount  to the power/run you want , Ricky used  DuKE'S Fuel in his, which was  10% nitro,  I used 10 and 15%  in the one I ran

Randy

Randy

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 02:40:14 AM »
Hello Thanks for the extra info Randy and Brett . Sounds like the old Fox 40 is similar to some of the early Enya 45's I have used (both 6001 'Baldy' and latter 6002) a nice 4/2 run but heavy and not that much power . Regards Gerald

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here