News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:51:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .40 RC Carb  (Read 836 times)

Offline Roy Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
Fox .40 RC Carb
« on: July 16, 2022, 10:51:22 AM »
This may be a bit off topic at a CL forum, however in addition to my beloved CL model flying I do commit the occasional heresy of flying RC (May God have mercy on my soul). Recently I was  trying to get a late model Fox 40 RC to function and was having an awful time on the running bench to get the thing to idle and to not overheat. Running SIG fuel with about 10% and a castor blend on the oil. So in desperation I ordered a new carb. Could only find one on EBay nobody else had one listed. Just received it today. Brand new. From Kazakstan. Is there a big contingent of Kazaks that fly and stock Fox parts? The World Wonders?
PS: I ended up getting the Fox to run just fine and it looks like it needed an extended break in. Going in a SIG Kadet Senior as I write.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fox .40 RC Carb
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 11:14:37 AM »
   There were a couple of different Fox carbs for their larger engines. Most used the early carb that had a low speed needle in addition to the typical high speed needle and no one knows what to do with that. They got away from that much later on, but I don't know that those were much better. I can't help you on the Kazakstan issue , though!
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 01:07:28 PM »
   There were a couple of different Fox carbs for their larger engines. Most used the early carb that had a low speed needle in addition to the typical high speed needle and no one knows what to do with that. They got away from that much later on, but I don't know that those were much better. I can't help you on the Kazakstan issue , though!
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

I'm thinking it's probably late model. With 2 needles. I'm fine with the idle needle as I prefer that to an air bleed. I also have an Eagle III which has a substantially different carb.

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 01:08:26 PM »
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 01:09:43 PM »
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 03:51:03 PM »
    I'm thinking that's the earlier carb. Maybe check out the Scepter Flite web site and see what they have. There was a guy in a local R/C that really understood Fox carbs and some how used a monometer to set the needle for proper to get them in the ball park, and then would adjust them for final run for people. At that time period, the .40 was considered the most powerful .40 on the market, if you could understand the carb and how to adjust it. If there was a major weather shift, you needed to know what to adjust for the temp changes and such. I never had to run one myself, and I think I may have a few carbs around here myself as I had a couple reworked by Lew Woolard for stunt. As I understand it, it's like any other carb. High speed needle is just for wide open throttle, and the low speed needle was just to get the transfer from idle to about 3/4 throttle. Is there an air adjustment screw on it? When OS came out with there easy to adjust carbs, that is what hurt Fox .40 sales.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 05:01:03 PM »
    I'm thinking that's the earlier carb. Maybe check out the Scepter Flite web site and see what they have. There was a guy in a local R/C that really understood Fox carbs and some how used a monometer to set the needle for proper to get them in the ball park, and then would adjust them for final run for people. At that time period, the .40 was considered the most powerful .40 on the market, if you could understand the carb and how to adjust it. If there was a major weather shift, you needed to know what to adjust for the temp changes and such. I never had to run one myself, and I think I may have a few carbs around here myself as I had a couple reworked by Lew Woolard for stunt. As I understand it, it's like any other carb. High speed needle is just for wide open throttle, and the low speed needle was just to get the transfer from idle to about 3/4 throttle. Is there an air adjustment screw on it? When OS came out with there easy to adjust carbs, that is what hurt Fox .40 sales.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Thanks, I'll check out that website. As I mentioned earlier I did get the engine to run fine after a slightly extended break in. You are entirely correct about OS. My first was a 40FSR and that was an amazing motor. Absolutely no problems with it on a Kadet until I peeled the wing off in a 12G pullout and the fuse went full cruise missile into the ground and it ripped the entire carb and carb boss off. Then the idle was hard to adjust.
I'm a bit of a Fox fan as the Fox 35 was the first engine as a kid that would start and run well. Then in my early combat days in the 80's got some factory support and even bought a 55 gallon drum of Duke's Fuel for my team for practice.
And I'm cheating a bit as I did get a new OS 40ASK in case the Fox does't pan out. Nice motor but with the new square styling it is butt ugly.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 04:24:31 AM »
http://www.flitelinesolutions.com/project4.html       I always found this helpful.

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 06:56:35 AM »
http://www.flitelinesolutions.com/project4.html       I always found this helpful.

Thanks Ken that is an absolute goldmine of info. That will take at least 3 cups of coffee this morning to look at!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here