Engine basics > Engine set up tips

Fox .40 ABC /BB Delux..

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jim z:
Hi Joe,
  I have several of the Fox 40 abc engines as well as the steel piston and cylinder versions of that engine.  I was out flying today with a couple
of friends and they couldn't believe it was a Fox 40 .  I agree that in stock mode they like to run in a fast 2 cycle...heres a couple of changes that
I've made that calmed the engine down..First was , I changed out the needle valve assembly to a st. style that I got from Eric Rule at RSM.  I next purchased a new Fox 40 stunt head button from Fox.  These were standard on the Fox 40 stunt engine that was available a couple of years back with the Lew Woolard stunt  mods already done to the cylinder liner.   I'm running 71/2 % nitro   11% castor and 11% syn.   RSM  Uniflow tank 4oz.  a Zinger 10X6 etra wide blade prop, and a Fox gold r/c long plug.  I should also mention I am using a Big Art tube muffler which are now being sold by Brodak's, stock muffler is to restrictive .
  This setup was used on a Brodak Mustang today.  This same engine was also used on a Brodak ARf Cardinal .
These engines can also be run stock which I  have done but you must use a flatter pitch prop ... in a 2-2-2 type run.
   So basically for the cost of the stunt head button, $12 bucks and switching out the nva,  I've got the engine to run in the more
traditional 4-2-4 stunt run which I prefer.   

Joe Yau:
Thanks all for the replies..  H^^

I gather that it could work nicely for stunt..  with wet-2 run setup out of the box.  I assumed an apc 11x4 or maybe the 12.25x3.75 (cut down to 11.25 etc) might work?  and use the button head from the .40 Stunt (if available) would be a good upgrade for 4-2 run, along with the ST nva.  will have to look into it..  :)

Jim z:
I just wanted to address the weight issue that someone mentioned about the Fox 40.
My Fox 40 abc /bb delux.. set up with a   Big Art tube muffler ,
zinger xtra wide blade 10x6 prop,  fox spinner nut,  weighs in at 11.8 0zs,  and
this engine is a double ball bearing true chrome set up.   

My Os fp 40 with a Big Art tube muffler , same weight as the Fox version, same Zinger
xtra wide 10x6 prop and Fox spinner nut weighs in at 11.4 ozs,  and this is a plain bearing
engine...so the difference being  4 tenths of an oz.  less than the Fox ,  but remember that
the Fox 40 is a double ball bearing engine and true chromed sleeve.

So if we were to add two ball bearing to the Os Fp 40 we would be looking at roughly the
xact same weight.
Both the Os and Fox  want to run the same way out of the box,  in a fast 2-2-2 style.
With a few simple mods that I've done to the Fox 40 Deluxe I get a powerful and smooth
engine and a 4-2-4  stunt run..

Onelife:

--- Quote from: Joe Yau on April 27, 2014, 02:38:05 PM ---Just wondering if anyone have success using the Fox .40 delux (ABC /dual ball bearing) for stunt?  or without having to get it reworked /retimed etc?   On the bench run.. it likes to rev up to 11-12K with a rich setting (10x6 prop).     

http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=157&products_id=275&zenid=155e75bda3f1e558ac75e768444ad027

I’m having problems with the like could you please repost or show picture of the style 40 Lew used ?
Thanks in advance.

--- End quote ---

Dan McEntee:

--- Quote from: Onelife on April 12, 2024, 12:15:53 PM ---

--- End quote ---

The Silver Foxx .40's I have are all the ones with the squire intake and the tall back plate. Some refer to the back plate as the coffin style back plate. I don't know if Lew ever did any of the older Fox .40's or not. He helped with an article on how to retime the engine that was in StuntNews many years ago. You might find it posted in the forums some where as this has been discussed many times.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version