News:

• May 04, 2024, 04:03:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 40's  (Read 812 times)

Offline Terry Bolin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
Fox 40's
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »
Since Brodak is not able to get any 40's and OS Stopped making them, has anyone tried one of the new Fox 40's with the grandfather clock backing plate and large NVA? Kind of intrested to see if they will be a good one like the Brodak motors.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Fox 40's
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:46:35 AM »
Since Brodak is not able to get any 40's and OS Stopped making them, has anyone tried one of the new Fox 40's with the grandfather clock backing plate and large NVA? Kind of intrested to see if they will be a good one like the Brodak motors.

Hi Terry,

The big back door Fox .40s are a little high timed for traditional Stunt usage.  Lew Woolard (Silver Foxx) makes them sing the sweetest songs ever.  I am sure Randy, and others, can make the necessary timing changes to bring them into a better stunt run.  As they come from Fox, a low pitch/high RPM *single speed* run seems to work OK, but is hard sometimes to get right.  For a good stunt run, I would get them worked on.  Just not an optimum Stunt engine out of the box, but go like gang busters when the right work is done, very strong.  I guess you could play with some head gaskets and such, but the timing, and such, is a bit too high.  Seem to remember the *run aways* plaguing them when stock

The early '70s Fox .40 Stunt (big case) was developed into a stunt engine for Fox with design changes from GMA.  It is an excellent Stunt Engine!  Thje later ones with the big back door are aimed more towards R/C and C/L Sport flying.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:30:39 PM »
Thanks Bill. I understand that there is a new Fox being made based on the Lew Design with his timing and mods internally. That would be the one I am intresed in mostly. Not sure how much they cost yet though. That would be a factor since a good Brodak is around $100.00

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »
   I talked to the Silver Foxx a couple of weeks ago and he told me that the new Fos 40s had his timing and head shape, and that they ran really sweet right out of the box.

Hope this helps.  He didn't mention price though.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:44:49 AM »
Bout time Fox started listening to the guys that can make the darn things run.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 11:27:58 PM »
Thanks Bill. I understand that there is a new Fox being made based on the Lew Design with his timing and mods internally. That would be the one I am intresed in mostly. Not sure how much they cost yet though. That would be a factor since a good Brodak is around $100.00

Hi Terry,

Now that I know about the *new* timed, etc., Fox 40s I would go with one in a minute.  All of the Silver Foxx .40s I have ever seen run like sewing machines, good power and a great stunt run.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here