News:

• May 08, 2024, 01:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya 40XZS piped experiments  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Enya 40XZS piped experiments
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:10:15 AM »
I have started experimenting with a Enya 40XZS on a pipe.
Engine was run in on bench with 20~25  3 minute runs, and then flown about 30 times with stock muffler.  During those 30 flights, I was teaching my nephew inverted flight and he put it in the dirt, bending the original needle.  I replaced the NVA with one of Randy's PA units, and other than that the engine is stock.

PIPE Set up:
Profile Tanager, around 50oz I think.
Pipe is one I bought used, it was advertised as a "40-51 size", inlet is 5/8" ID and outlet is 3/8" ID.  Has a pressure tap midway of the main taper section.
I think it is one of Randy's but not sure.  Pipe is set at 17.5"
Using Sig 10% Champion, uniflow tank no pressure, Sig RC long plug, APC 11-4.

First pipe run, ground launch 9.5~10K.  After launch engine really leaned out to a screaming 2-cycle, I'm guessing 11.5~12K, maybe more.  Running 4.3 laps on 63' lines eye-eye.  She was hot when landed, I was a little concerned about damage, but it seems to have survived the abuse.     After 10 minute cool down, opened needle 1 full turn and re-started for next flight.  On ground it was running in a rich 4-cycle, (8000 or less) so slow I didnt even bother to tach it, just went ahead and launched, thinking it would still be plenty rich in flight and I would sneak up on needle in subsequent flights.   To my surprise flight speed seemed close to normal, around 5.1 laps, and it sounded to me around 10k.   Toward the end of this flight I blew the gasket at the header flange,  so that's all the testing so far.

What I dont understand is the large change in RPM from ground launch to flight,  which was around 2000 rpm in both cases.  This is my 1st experience with pipes, but I've been around them at contest and it seems that the more normal change from ground launch to flight is something like 500 rpm.  Is that right or am I missing something here?  The other question is , do most of the pipers use tank pressure or not ?  I was thinking of trying that next to see if it might minimize the change in RPM  ??  

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 05:11:41 PM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Re: Enya 40XZS piped experiments
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:30:19 AM »

Check with Randy to see about the venturi opening. 

When going to a pipe setup you need a significant smaller venturi ??

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »
Stock Venturi is .275 (7.0mm) with .155 spray bar.     So area is only .0167" to start with..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »
I think I would look into your tank setup
On profiles, its pretty normal for the engine to lean after takeoff. The pipe may be agravating what happens but may be to subtle to notice.
On a couple planes of mine, the same engine, on the profile needs to be about 100 to 200 rpm richer needle setting than it did in a built up
This comes from the fact that the fuel pickup is outboard of the needle, and as flight speed and centripetal force is built up, the needle is now feeling a much lower head pressure than when sitting idle whereas on a built up, the pickup is significantly closer to the needle opening.

My observations, FWIW
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »
Not a sure diagnosis here but I would check for a pinhole (or smaller) air leak in the system especially as the pipe was used. A pressure test is called for. Any air leak in a tuned pipe set-up can result in erratic runs.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 05:21:49 PM »
Not a sure diagnosis here but I would check for a pinhole (or smaller) air leak in the system especially as the pipe was used. A pressure test is called for. Any air leak in a tuned pipe set-up can result in erratic runs.  8)
I didn't have an erratic run.  It was a good run, up untill the very end when the gasket blew. 
I just dont understand why the 2K rpm increase from ground launch to in flight.
But I will do a pressure check before next flights..

What about the pressure question.  Are most of the piped setups using pressure to the tank, or just vented ??
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:32:50 PM »
May get some debate here but by my observation more folks run them vented than using pressure. Dumb question but have to ask: Is the pressure fitting capped off?  2000 RPM difference between ground and flight really is excessive so you are right in suspecting that something "just ain't right".

You are probably a member so have already seen it but in the the 2009 Special Edition of the PAMPA Stunt News you will find a must-read article on tuned pipe set-ups written by Brett Buck and Dave Fitzgerald. Lotsa good info there.   8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 07:54:20 PM »
May get some debate here but by my observation more folks run them vented than using pressure. Dumb question but have to ask: Is the pressure fitting capped off?  2000 RPM difference between ground and flight really is excessive so you are right in suspecting that something "just ain't right".

You are probably a member so have already seen it but in the the 2009 Special Edition of the PAMPA Stunt News you will find a must-read article on tuned pipe set-ups written by Brett Buck and Dave Fitzgerald. Lotsa good info there.   8)
Yes the tap is capped off.
I did read that article a couple of months ago.  I will go back and review it again because I think Dave Fitz did mention something about using pressure.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »
We've had some recent failures with those cute little yellow plastic caps, in case you're using one of those. It is conceivable that a piece of fuel tube with a screw in it could leak, tho I've seen experienced fliers use that method. A BB or 1/8" rivet in a piece of tubing is a better bet, IMO.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 09:34:51 AM »
Does any one have a .jpg or .pdf  drawing of a degree wheel for checking port timing..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 09:25:45 AM »
I use this clear plastic 360 degree protractor as a degree wheel.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »
  Can anyone send me a copy of the Brett Buck / David Fitzgerald article? Us foreigners don't tend to join the AMA, but I am a member of the BMFA!
Just getting into pipes and I am hungry to learn. I was sent a copy of the Dean Pappas article, but things have probably moved on a touch since then!

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 05:23:46 PM »
Actually, the article you mention was in the PAMPA newsletter (magazine really). Special 2009 issue. Lotsa furriners are members of that organization. An internet-access membership is actually pretty reasonable for the info you get. In the meantime if you send me your address directly I'll copy off the article and send it to you directly.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here