News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FOX 35 shaft  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Brad Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
FOX 35 shaft
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »
Im ordering a shaft extention for a fox 35 what is the size of the shaft 1/4-28or5/16-24 thanks fo the help im at work and dont have a fox 35 to look at.
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: FOX 35 shaft
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »
It is 1/4-28.  Almost all engines of that size use that thread.

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »
Thanks
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline Onelife

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 01:41:12 PM »
Is it hard on the fox 35 to add weight to the engine shaft to add front weight?  Or should you add it elsewhere?

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 06:17:11 PM »
Is it hard on the fox 35 to add weight to the engine shaft to add front weight?  Or should you add it elsewhere?

You could add a heavy hub or a Prather spinner weight for a few flights to test, but then add the equivalent to the nose structure some where. It doesn't mess with the way the engine runs, but the vibration from running makes the shaft bounce around in the bushing. Over time, the crankshaft can break right in front of the counter weight disk. That just happened to a club member hear back in August. I was holding the model, (a Barnstormer with a L&J Fox .35 ) and just before he gave me the release signal, the engine suddenly went quiet!! The heavy hub, prop, and cranks shaft went flying about 10 feet in front of the airplane! We warned him about that!! You will have no warning that it is going to happen. It just will let go.
    Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 06:48:01 PM »
Melt lead into the back plate.  Might have to put a strap across it to make sure it stays in place. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 08:28:16 PM »
How did the OP's desire to add a shaft extension get misinterpreted to adding weight to the nose?
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 09:01:33 PM »
How did the OP's desire to add a shaft extension get misinterpreted to adding weight to the nose?

The original poster asked about a shaft extension, but Onelife asked about adding balance weight to the cranks shaft:

" Is it hard on the fox 35 to add weight to the engine shaft to add front weight?  Or should you add it elsewhere?" 

This is what prompted my answer.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 07:49:34 AM »

The original poster asked about a shaft extension, but Onelife asked about adding balance weight to the cranks shaft:

" Is it hard on the fox 35 to add weight to the engine shaft to add front weight?  Or should you add it elsewhere?" 

This is what prompted my answer.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Ah! I see now! What I have heard referred to as a "turn signal response". Ya 'know: a 90-degree turn from the direction we're going! A response that has little-to-nothing to do with the original conversation. Yes!!!  (As is this one! :-) )

;D  ;D  ;D

PS: Mine was a "rhetorical question", Dan.  ;)  ;)
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 08:23:15 AM »
Ah! I see now! What I have heard referred to as a "turn signal response". Ya 'know: a 90-degree turn from the direction we're going! A response that has little-to-nothing to do with the original conversation. Yes!!!  (As is this one! :-) )

;D  ;D  ;D

PS: Mine was a "rhetorical question", Dan.  ;)  ;)

I know Bill!! No worries! ;D  Just pointing it out as a public service! 
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 10:46:04 AM »
Well I have an excuse for my response, its called old age and dementia. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 02:24:29 PM »
And I'm glad Dan added the "fatigue from weight" thing.  I use a heavy hub maybe too often, when I know it makes sense to glue on some lead.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 06:35:38 PM »
Fox .35 cranks break. You don't really need to add a "heavy hub" to make it happen. A heavy nylon propeller will work just fine for that.  LL~ Steve

PS: I wouldn't put a shaft extension on a Fox .35 for any reason.
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline George Fruhling

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 12:11:24 AM »
Fox .35 cranks break. You don't really need to add a "heavy hub" to make it happen. A heavy nylon propeller will work just fine for that.  LL~ Steve

PS: I wouldn't put a shaft extension on a Fox .35 for any reason.

A nylon prop is heavier than wood?  I used to use a nylon  8-8 on a Fox Competition Special and didn't think it was heavy but never actually weighed it either.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 07:25:36 PM »
The plastic props are a lot heavier than an equivalent wood prop. The issue with the Fox .35 crank is that the torsional load of the engine firing is reacted into the rotating mass of the prop, causing fatigue failure at the discontinuity of the intake port. So keeping the propeller weight down is likely more important than keeping the spinner/nut/hub weight down.

If it was fatigue due to rotating bending loads, you would expect to see failures right where the shaft journal reduces down to the size needed for the drive hub and threaded portion--which I can't recall seeing.

The other failure that is pretty common is to see the crank disk fail between the crankpin and the shaft journal. And typically it seems the line of failure goes tangent to the shaft. Again, an area of stress concentration and maximum bending moment coming from the cyclical rod forces.

The design margins on the Fox Stunt .35 crank are pretty low all around, so you will see multiple types of failures which have different causes.  I know people have had success running different props, different hubs, shaft extensions, etc. The question is how long will the engine stay in one piece? And, there are an awful lot of used engines we have collected with no real idea of how many hours are already on them. They are low cost, so if it breaks, just grab another one. Unless it fails at a bad spot and you lose an airplane that you really liked.

Here is a sampling of measured propeller weights so you can see just how large the differences are.

Dave

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here