News:

• April 15, 2024, 11:03:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 35 Disassembly  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Fox 35 Disassembly
« on: May 25, 2019, 10:20:58 AM »
I am trying to disassemble my Fox 35, but am having issues trying to remove the rod from the crank pin.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Obviously, I'm not doing it correctly.  Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Brew     H^^

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Fox 35 Disassembly
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 10:31:50 AM »
The wrist pin is probably all gummed up, so the rod can't slide on it. It needs to slide back a bit to get it off the crank pin.
Try a bit of heat to loosen it up, or soak it in fuel.
MAAC 8177

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 11:38:13 AM »
          The cylinder liner needs to be indexed with a witness mark first, put a scratch from the lip of the liner onto the case. Then begin to remove the liner.  I usually heat the case and place a piece of wood 1/8" x 1/4" spruce in the exhaust cutout and turn the engine over. The liner will rise out of the case, at this point I continuously heat the exterior of the case and pull the liner out.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 11:39:25 AM »
          I use a allen key to get behind the rod and pry off of the crank web, force it over as much as you can get it to move. The cylinder liner needs to be indexed with a witness mark first, put a scratch from the lip of the liner onto the case. Then begin to remove the liner.  I usually heat the case and place a piece of wood 1/8" x 1/4" spruce in the exhaust cutout and turn the engine over. The liner will rise out of the case, at this point I continuously heat the exterior of the case and pull the liner out.

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »
Good point, I assumed he already had the liner out  :-[
MAAC 8177

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:09:48 PM »
Harold,
The trick is to remove the liner, Ken's method works well with a heat gun. Once that's out rotate the shaft to put the crank pin aligned with the bypass cutout. Next move the rod to the back of the piston. Now using the piston baffle to rotate the rod counter clockwise and roll it off the crankpin. It may take a few tries but it comes off. Goes back in reverse order. Remember to get the baffle on the bypass side and that the cylinder goes in so that the baffle covers both ends with the piston at bottom dead center.

Best,    DennisT

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 12:21:04 PM »
   Crock pot the engine over night first, then start the dis-assembly. That should break everything loose, including the liner, so it will slide out with the stroke of the piston. That's what I usually do. Parts are already pretty clean before you start.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 06:40:48 PM »
Crock pot / antifreeze overnight is a big help.  And the allen key / two o'clock thing is, too.

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 01:14:37 PM »
Thanks for all of the comments.  I finally got it apart, but took a while.  Even harder was installing a Fox ABC piston and rod.  I fiddled with it for over a week until I finally got it installed.  Now I need to break it in.

Best regards,

Brew

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here