News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:15:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox .29 Question  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fox .29 Question
« on: May 31, 2021, 01:29:25 PM »
A friend just gave me three Fox .29 CL engines.  One is shiny silver and appears to never have been run.  The other two look like they haven't been run much.

Two of them have "Mike" stenciled on them.  Mike could simply have been the previous owner (my friend bought the engines on Ebay).  But I'm curious if there is a possibility that "Mike" was/is someone who reworks engines.

Also, I read the Peter Chinn review of the Fox .29 and his article said that Fox recommended using Fox "Missile Mist" fuel, which Peter said was 25% nitro.  Peter could get it to test run on 5% nitro.  In practical use what do you recommend as the minimum nitro percentage.

Are these engines worth messing with?   I've got plenty of engines.

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fox .29 Question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 02:20:52 PM »
   Hi Joe;
      If these are the Fox. 29's that look like the Fox.35 stunt, you can treat them the same as your .35's. They would be great for smallish models like the Sterling profile stunt kits and such. Use the same oil content (25-29% total oil) and nitro to what you usually use, ( 5 to 15%). There was a later Fox .29 that doesn't look at all like the .35 stunt and those I do not have any experience with, but if the venturi size is about the same as a .35 stunt, then I would think you could treat them the same also. Just make sure if you test run them put a know good plug in them first, just to get that part out of the way.
   Hope you had a safe Memorial Day,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 02:38:32 PM »
Thanks Dan,

Yes, they look like the Fox .35 with a taller venturi shaped more like the McCoy venturis.

I found this Peter Chinn review and the pictures of the engines are identical: http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Fox%2029%20%282%29.html

Thanks for the tip on the glow plug and the size of the appropriate model airplanes.

Joe Ed

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 05:50:37 PM »
Thanks Dan,

Yes, they look like the Fox .35 with a taller venturi shaped more like the McCoy venturis.

I found this Peter Chinn review and the pictures of the engines are identical: http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Fox%2029%20%282%29.html

Thanks for the tip on the glow plug and the size of the appropriate model airplanes.

Joe Ed

Joe  that is  a  totally different  motor  than the  early  FOX  29s,  the ones  shown  are  same case  based  as  the  1970  36  engines, We used  them for  stunt  and slow  combat, they do  not  4/2  as  well as the  OLD Fox  35 -  29   but  are  good engines.  I used  29s  on  Goldberg  Profiles  and  Flight Streaks
They had  larger  stronger  cranks, better  rods, and  much better  case  bushings

Randy

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 07:26:45 PM »
Thanks Dan,

Joe Ed

Yeah but they don't have three bolt back plates. The ones I mentioned first look just like a .35 stunt. I have several of those. The one in the Chinn article I'm not sure if I have any of those or not. They look like a bigger case and maybe heavier. Put them on a test stand and see how they handle, you will probably like them for sport engines. Especially if you got three, then yo have some pare parts and a spare engine if you really get to liking them, and then have an issue like a crash. I don't like having just one of any engine if I think that it has something to offer.
  See you next weekend at the fun fly!!???
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 11:06:33 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Joe Ed

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 03:31:07 PM »
The main identification marks are the slanted plug, off-center (wedge-head combustion chamber) and 4-bolt backplate.

They came in two displacements, .29 and .36 On one size,displacement was stamped on an engine lug. If it wasn't there, you had the other size, I forget which was which... They were an at least ounce  havier than the Stunt 35. They were built to be more sturdy - obviously intended for greater power. Fox's recommended higher nitro fuel suits that.

I found them considerable 'shakers' when new, but Marvin Denny reported they smoothed out a lot with more run time on them.

A stronger sport engine, not up to a K&B or Supertigre, but less expensive.

\BEST\LOU

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 05:39:10 AM »
The main identification marks are the slanted plug, off-center (wedge-head combustion chamber) and 4-bolt backplate.

They came in two displacements, .29 and .36 On one size,displacement was stamped on an engine lug. If it wasn't there, you had the other size, I forget which was which... They were an at least ounce  havier than the Stunt 35. They were built to be more sturdy - obviously intended for greater power. Fox's recommended higher nitro fuel suits that.

I found them considerable 'shakers' when new, but Marvin Denny reported they smoothed out a lot with more run time on them.

A stronger sport engine, not up to a K&B or Supertigre, but less expensive.

I had a NIB one without markings and it measured 36. Never flew it so can't comment on that.
Bill P.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 05:35:15 PM »

They came in two displacements, .29 and .36 On one size,displacement was stamped on an engine lug. If it wasn't there, you had the other size, I forget which was which....

Lou and BillP,

Thanks for the clue.  I was curious why two of the engines had "29" stamped on the upper part of the left (looking from behind) engine lug.  Now I know that I've got two .29s and one .36.

Joe Ed Pederson

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 06:48:49 PM »

"They came in two displacements, .29 and .36 On one size,displacement was stamped on an engine lug. If it wasn't there, you had the other size, I forget which was which... "

The .29 had the stamp on the lug. Flite Streaks and the .36 were my favorite combo back when.

Ara

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here