News:

• May 02, 2024, 06:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Short Plug in Fox 35?  (Read 721 times)

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Short Plug in Fox 35?
« on: August 10, 2019, 10:50:50 AM »
Has anyone tried a short plug in the Fox 35...or any other long plug engine? I'm curious what the differences are. I would try it but don't fly shorts and don't have one.
Bill P.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Re: Short Plug in Fox 35?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »
Bill,

I've often wondered about that.

A club mate recommended a short plug in my then new McCoy 35 Red Head, because I wasn't sure I had a long hot plug to use, and some time later I experienced a flame out during a wing over, and subsequent loss of line tension. The crash repair to my SIG Sky Ray 35 was minimal, but the short plug was replaced with a normal long plug typically used in the McCoy 35. The flame out was never repeated?

Seems to me the large empty plug cavity (with a short plug installed), may have been a trap for some of the high Castor oil content of the McCoy fuel, and resulted in flooded plug?

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 02:49:20 PM »
Has anyone tried a short plug in the Fox 35...or any other long plug engine? I'm curious what the differences are. I would try it but don't fly shorts and don't have one.

yes  and  it is  not the  thing  to do, Short plugs run much cooler in engines that are made for long plugs, Sometimes they are so cool that the  engine  will put out less power, and  stumble in maneuvers. Sometimes its  so bad they will shut off

Randy

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 03:30:57 PM »
Randy,

Thanks for the conformation.

Self proclaimed engine experts, are often not to be taken seriously, and that's why I always read your posts, and advice. You have proven time and again that you know what your talking about.

Thanks for all you do for the model engine community!

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 04:03:39 PM »
Thanks. Flaming out makes sense to me.
Bill P.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 09:56:21 PM »
Thanks. Flaming out makes sense to me.

Even if it didn't, you lose power. We (my dad and I) had one engine that would only keep running reliably with a Fox "short" 2V plug, but it was noticeably down on power to the Fox STD long, for the brief moments it would run at all. Last thing in the world you need on a Fox is to reduce the compression.

BTW, very small/fine compression adjustments on all engines can be made by using an extra glow plug gasket. This was one of the tricks back in the good old days, particularly on the ST46. Most other engines are nowhere near the edge on compression and can use all you can stand.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 07:20:26 AM »
Randy,

Thanks for the conformation.

Self proclaimed engine experts, are often not to be taken seriously, and that's why I always read your posts, and advice. You have proven time and again that you know what your talking about.

Thanks for all you do for the model engine community!

Bill

HI Bill

THanks, The flaming out part is not the biggest problem, the ratty run and stumbling is, They just do not  run as clean as a long in motors designed for a long plug,  Most times  you can tell this when you remove the battery  and  you hear a  drop in RPMs, then you normally need to to turn the needle in (leaner) than with a  long plug

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here