News:

• May 27, 2024, 04:23:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox 35 upright mount - uniflow tank location off mounts?  (Read 718 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox 35 upright mount - uniflow tank location off mounts?
« on: July 17, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »
Guys,
Its been several years since I set up a Fox 35 and wanted to save some time so I thought I'd see what's working for people. I am building an El Diablo that has an upright engine mount. I plan to use a uniflow tank with muffler pressure and have set it up to have the uniflow line in line with the spraybar. I did a search on both this forum and SS about tank height location and didn't find anything.

The question is with the Fox 35 does it like the centerline of the uniflow in line with the spraybar hole or does it trim out above or below that point?

Also, I will be using a ST type NVA - what is the position of the spraybar hole relative to the venturi - straight down - forward crossflow or rearward crossflow.

Best,      DennisT

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Fox 35 upright mount - uniflow tank location off mounts?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »
Of all of the planes I have built for Fox 35's upright, the tank has always been mounted right on the mounts which puts the tank feed tube inline with the spary bar. That includes my El Diablo. As far as the hole in the spraybar, to me it does not seem to make much difference, as long as it is not pointing up at all. I usually try to get it pretty close to straight down the venture. If I remember right, on the El Diablo, you do not have any room to move the tank up or down. You could shim the engine though.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 07:23:46 PM »
Guys,
Its been several years since I set up a Fox 35 and wanted to save some time so I thought I'd see what's working for people. I am building an El Diablo that has an upright engine mount. I plan to use a uniflow tank with muffler pressure and have set it up to have the uniflow line in line with the spraybar. I did a search on both this forum and SS about tank height location and didn't find anything.

The question is with the Fox 35 does it like the centerline of the uniflow in line with the spraybar hole or does it trim out above or below that point?

Also, I will be using a ST type NVA - what is the position of the spraybar hole relative to the venturi - straight down - forward crossflow or rearward crossflow.

Best,      DennisT

Hi Dennis,

I suggest starting out with the tank on the mounts. Once you start flying it, if the lap times are way off inverted versus upright then shim the tank or engine to get them the same.

Bill

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »
I would fly the airplane with the uniflow in line with the spraybar.  If it doesn't run the same upright and inverted, I would pop the back end off the tank and move the uniflow up or down, as needed, about 1/16 in. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here