News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:40:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fine Tuning the Ro Jett 67 LS  (Read 1120 times)

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fine Tuning the Ro Jett 67 LS
« on: August 04, 2021, 10:07:22 AM »
Hi all, not exclusive to the RJ67, but how do i get more 4 cycle and less 2 from my engine??

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Fine Tuning the Ro Jett 67 LS
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 10:18:04 AM »
Hi all, not exclusive to the RJ67, but how do i get more 4 cycle and less 2 from my engine??

More nitro, more pitch, or a larger venturi. Shortening the pipe, or increasing the compression will also do it but you will get more boost/break.

If you just want to move the operating point more toward the 4, the easy way is to add nitro.

Brett

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 12:21:06 PM »
Thanks Brett!

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »
Kevin, I use 15% Bryons Heli fuel( no longer available). I add about 3 ounces of Castor. I use the stock Venturi. I run it on the ground adjusting until it quits cycling back and forth 2-4 then just slightly richer to launch. This is on a muffler for SE or header muffler for RE. If you want it will slightly break in some maneuvers. If you don't like that adjust slightly ( very slightly) richer and it will mostly run in a 4 cycle. I use about 5 ounces of fuel for the pattern .
We are at 1,400 feet elevation, it will use more lower altitude. I will try Powermaster 15% Heli fuel soon, it has 23% Oil all low viscosity synthetic.
The 67 runs much better with the 15% and is easier to needle. I believe you have the same prop I have ( Brian Eather 12.5x5.3) three blade slightly under camber etc. You can take some pitch out to slow lap time down or add a little it needed. Due to the long stroke of this engine it does not wind up to much if you keep the pitch down. Mine does not break into a 2 cycle much when I get it right just beeps occasionally on some maneuvers.

When I say set it richer I am taking about very, very small needle adjustments 1/16 inch or so at a time until you get what you want .
The key for me has been letting it run on the ground until it warms up a bit then making sure it does not break into a 2 cycle or any hint of it on the ground then set it just slightly richer past that. ( How much richer depends on you) Hope this helps. A Fellow flying buddy is using a RO Jett 76
RE using same fuel same adjustment etc runs the same as my 67 . Plane is 68 ounces hauls it fine. Not sure how many head gaskets as it has been a long time since I changed anything it runs so consistent I don't mess with it.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 02:52:10 PM »
Thanks Walter!

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 09:59:24 AM »
Walter, what was the oil content in the Byrons heli fuel before you added the 3oz of castor?

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 03:07:12 PM »
21% by Volume

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 06:04:23 PM »
21% by Volume

Walter - did you try the same volume, but synthetic?  Adding castor makes me start looking for the crock pot.

Brett

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 09:14:02 PM »
The Byrons Heli Fuel  was all low viscosity synthetic , I added 3 oz degummed castor to the all synthetic fuel.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 09:09:53 AM »
The problem i have is once i get a nice four cycle setting, my lap times are to slow. I need to do more testing though. The prop i was using was was a 3 blade Bolly 12.5" with a 6" pitch. Once i get some higher nitro fuel, i will do more testing. Brett i understand your dismay of people not wanting to run some engines the way they were intended. For me, the tone of the engine throughout the flight is very important. I will never be a  top level competitor, so i am willing to give up *some* performance to get there. My usual goal is just to have a nice looking plane with a non irritating engine run while still having the ability to fly a competitive pattern. Kevi n

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here