News:

• May 03, 2024, 07:46:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya questions  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Enya questions
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:35:26 PM »
I don't know what happened.  I started a thread earlier but don't see it now.  I'll try again.

The questions apply to the S-1 Ringmaster I'l finish tonight. I'll start with 60' lines eye to eye and it's an Enya
.25 SS.

Questions:

What size tank should I have to fly the pattern?

Will a clunk tank work?

Does the Enya like muffler pressure?

9 x 4 APC prop?

What kind of RPM's on the ground? 10-11K?

Thanks Guys!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Enya questions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:50:45 PM »
Duke:

If someone who actually knows the answers for Enya engines doesn't answer, here's the answer for the FP/LA 25, which I think will come close:

3 ounce (an FP-20 takes about 2 1/2 ounces to complete the pattern on my S-1)

Yes

Dunno (probably yes)

Dunno (probably yes, but grab a 10-4 to try as well)

Probably.  Maybe 12000.

A Hayes 3 ounce tank works great on my S-1 but does not fit between the wing and engine if it's stock and if it's mounted in front of the landing gear.  Being nuts, I made a right-angle fitting to get fuel out of the tank and have it nestled up to the LG wire.  A more sane approach would have been to either mount the tank so it sits on top of the LG and against the wing LE, or mount it on the left side of the fuselage just opposite of the motor.

Mounting it on the left side of the fuselage has been repeatedly and strongly recommended.  I haven't done it because I don't want to stare at a tank for the whole flight -- I want the side of the fuselage that I see looking its best.  I'll let you decide how reasonable and sane that attitude is when there's good reason to believe that you'll get better performance with the tank mounted the "ugly" way.

Particularly if it's a matter of getting a new plane into the air before the Fly-A-Thon, I think you can have a less than perfect installation now, and go back and do better later.  Just make the dang thing work!  Go back and make it all perfect over the winter!

(and post a picture someplace)
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »
Thanks Tim, I'm happy your still speaking to me  ;D.  Just kidding. You do help me out a lot. I should be able to make something work, it should fly better than I can. Here's the picture from another thread.  I'll try to have Daniel take another tonight or before we start fly Saturday. The S-1 Electric Coroplast Beginner, and balsa Beginner are new for this year. And the Jr is from last years flyathon. The Baby was built and crashed for and at last years flyathon, and rebuilt again for this year.

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »
Hi Duke,

I run mine with an APC 10x4, or sometimes a Bolly 9.5x5. Tim is on the money with tank size - you'd just about get away with 2.5oz, 3 oz would be a safe bet (I usually use 5% nitro).  I'm sure it wouldn't mind muffler pressure, but I've never found any need - it gives extremely consistent runs with an ordinary uniflow wedge.

Steve

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »
Thanks Steve. I ran it on a 9x4 APC today with muffler pressure and it ran great.  The plane flew very well, very happy with it. It did run a long time on 4oz of fuel though.

Offline phil myers

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
Hi Duke   
             The ss25 is a superb engine for the Ringmaster (and the Shoestring) I run mine on muffler pressure
2 1/2 oz tank  10x4 Graupner prop, Apcs are a bit sharp for my liking.. 4.5 secs on 60ft lines. Tank is good for about 6 mins. I use 5% nitro 18% oil with castor added to bring total oil up to 23%

Phil

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »
Thanks Phil

I ran it on the 4oz clunk tank, it ran forever.  I'll get a smaller tank.  I didn't try the 10 x 4, should have.  It did seem to like the 9 x 4 and the muffler pressure.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 12:44:22 PM »
Mine works great with a 9X5 and muffler pressure.
Was using it on a ARF Flite Streak, tons of fun!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 01:56:44 PM »
I agree, great little power plant. I would say better than my OS .25 FP's and LA's.  I started to try a 9 x 5 but caught a weed on take off and broke it.

Offline phil myers

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
Duke I know what you mean about the blades trimming the grass.. I increased the undercarriage a bit to give more clearence.. the 10x4 just slowed it downa little to a pace that I could handle.. good flying......Phil

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 07:07:06 PM »
I've just been out trying my SS25 in a 'Miss BJ'.  This is about 520 sq.in and 37 oz, and normally powered by an SS30.  Even with a 15 mph+ breeze blowing, the SS25 did fine. Launch rpm was about 10300 with an APC 10x4; I didn't time it, but I'd estimate about 5.5 sec/lap. 2.5 oz was easily enough for the entire pattern.  I couldn't have asked for a nicer engine run.

Steve

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 08:55:28 PM »
Phil
I had a great time flying mine. I might take your advise and lengthen the landing gear.  We have a soccer field near the house to fly off.

Steve
 Mine is in a S-1 Ringmaster I think 380sq.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here