News:

• May 20, 2024, 12:51:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&B .61 stiff crank  (Read 723 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
K&B .61 stiff crank
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:36:12 AM »
Hi all I just scored a NIB K&B .61 baffled engine and when I tighten the prop nut the crank gets very stiff, when I loosen the prop nut the crank is still stiff and I have to tap the crank to get it to loosen up, any ideas?
Thanks
Dwayne

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: K&B .61 stiff crank
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:09:34 AM »
Now you know why it was so cheap?

I have no experience with that particular engine, so take this all with a grain of salt -- hopefully someone who knows more will say more.

The problem is that there is insufficient clearance for the crank and prop drive.  Reasons that I can think of for this happening are because:

• It's a lemon, and has been wrong from day 1
  • someone changed bearings and put them in wrong
  • someone put in the wrong bearings
  • someone put them in with crud in the hole which prevents them from seating all the way in
  • the case is damaged, and it either prevents the bearings from seating or raised a bung or burr in the nose by the prop drive
  • the prop drive or crank is damaged, allowing the prop drive to go on the crank too far
  • someone assembled it with an incorrect shim between prop drive and crank case
  • ??

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Dwayne

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:18:42 AM »

I have no experience with that particular engine, so take this all with a grain of salt -- hopefully someone who knows more will say more.

The problem is that there is insufficient clearance for the crank and prop drive.  Reasons that I can think of for this happening are because:

• someone put them in with crud in the hole which prevents them from seating all the way in
  • the case is damaged, and it either prevents the bearings from seating or raised a bung or burr in the nose by the prop drive
  • the prop drive or crank is damaged, allowing the prop drive to go on the crank too far
  • ??

Thanks Tim that's about what I was thinking, I ony paid 60 bucks including shipping but I sure hope it's not a lemon.
Thanks

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 11:38:40 AM »

• ??

Thanks Tim that's about what I was thinking, I ony paid 60 bucks including shipping but I sure hope it's not a lemon.
Thanks

Most of the things with a bearing can be checked quite easily
The K&B 61 does not use a shim between the collet and bearing.
I've come accross a few with the wrong collet which has a sharper taper and does let the thrust bearing go back too far and rub the case.
You also mention that you hit the crank to release the thrust washer. Not a good idea as you may have driven the crank back slightly , and that would be enough to cause your problem.
It should only be removed with a puller, even a cheap battery terminal puller can be used. Just use something to protect the tip of the shaft

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:34:52 PM »
Sounds like the brgs. aren't fully seated in their pockets.

Dwayne

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 05:34:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I pulled the crank filed the front of the case gave it a thorough cleaning and tapped the rear bearing down on the crank using a piece of brass tubing, put it back together making sure the bearings are fully seated and it is much better now so I think the rear bearing wasn't seated all the way, anyway this is the first time I've done this so I'm quite proud of myself  y1 <= #^ ~>.
Thanks again guys
Dwayne

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »
Congrats to you on joining the "fraternity of bearing seaters". Seriously engine work can be a lot of fun. Just remember that if it seems like as bad idea, it usually is.....

Offline Jim West

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 07:25:30 AM »
Hopefully the bearing race didn't get "brinelled" when you initially tightened the prop.
Jim West
Engine collector

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here