News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:04:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine temps?  (Read 447 times)

Offline Jason Sarrells

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Engine temps?
« on: October 04, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »
Many moons ago I dabbled in nitro vehicles.  Almost all setup instructions for tuning the engine centered around getting the engine to run in a specific temp range.  However, I've noticed almost nothing is mentioned (from what I've read so far) about engine temps on airplanes.  About the only measurement I see is tach readings.  Granted, the well worn veteran can probably get it right just by tasting the exhaust (or listening to the rpms), but sometimes our senses can fool us.  I would think an unthrottled C/L engine would be the easiest since it runs at a constant speed unlike R/C in which the rpms (and load) can vary throughout the flight/drive.  Is temp not so much of an issue with the abundant airflow over the engine?  Is it ignored because senses alone can get you in the sweet spot?  Is there something else I am missing?  Just curious.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Engine temps?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 01:47:28 PM »
I think temperature is much less critical with model aviation.  You do need adequate cooling, and temperature is probably more important in CL stunt than in RC flying (because we don't have throttles -- we depend on the engine's self-regulation, which gets messed up if it gets too hot).

But it is by no means the be-all, end-all detail that you're concerned with.  Proper props and fuel, getting the right sort of engine for the right sort of run, getting your muffler or pipe set up correctly, getting your tank right, etc., all matter a great deal more.  Even when temperature is mentioned, it is in the context of "if your engine is acting like that then it's too hot.", not "what does your IR thermometer read?"
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here