News:

• April 16, 2024, 07:06:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's wrong with this engine/tank setup?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What's wrong with this engine/tank setup?
« on: September 06, 2021, 04:49:33 PM »
I'm getting a "found object" Firecat in the air.  It came with a tall, short tank, as seen in the picture.  The whole setup should be apparent, except that there's a DuBro fuel filter in the line from the tank to the engine.

The run is -- strange.

First, the nose of the plane has a resonance with the engine speed when it's 4-stroking, which foams the fuel, which leans the engine out, which lets the fuel settle down, which makes it 4-stroke, and repeat.  I'm not sure if there's much I can do about that (the prop is already in good balance).

Second, the thing really leans out as the flight progresses, to the point that I'm alternating between worry that my nice new-to-me McCoy is going to burn itself up, and thankfulness that I'm using 25% all-castor fuel.

Fuel is Sig 15% nitro, 20% castor that's had a cup of Fox castor added, to bring it to 14% nitro, 25% castor.  Prop is a Top Flite 10-6.

Even 4-stroking, the thing is giving me lap times between 4 and 4.5 seconds (I didn't measure closely).  I'd love to know a good way to slow that down a bit.

Suggestions welcome. 

I'm thinking about replacing what's there with a uniflow, that isn't so tall.  I would hope that'll give me better draw and put outboard edge of the tank closer to the needle.  I have a bit of an issue with that because I'd like to be able to do the pattern with the plane, and there's only 3 1/2" from the leading edge to the back of the engine.  This leaves me concerned that any tank that'll fit will have problems with fuel flow toward the end of the pattern. 

I'm kinda thinking about putting said uniflow tank on the inboard side, but that's not very old-timey.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What's wrong with this engine/tank setup?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 05:26:44 PM »
   The problem is the wide wedge tank. The engine has to pull the fuel against centrifugal force to get to the engine. It will run one speed on the ground and then lean out as it gets in the air and up tp speed. The next thing is it's a standard vent. They always speed up at the end and it makes the first problem worse. Put a tripler on it like Ty recommends and the 5 inch pitch prop will get you over that harmonic range also. Been there and done that with rescue models. Those old wedge tanks can be improved with a new pick up that cuts right across the tank and exits out the bottom of the tank close to the fuselage and greatly reduces the effect of the CF forces.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 05:45:54 PM »
I ran a lot of McCoys back in the 70's.  Never had much success with metal tanks for what Dan said about pickup.  When I ran them on pressure I had more success but the most success was with clunk tanks.  Never did like wedge tanks.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 09:40:37 AM »
Some thoughts:

1.  5% nitro would slow it down, give good fuel econony.
2.  Rig for uniflow.  Much more even run.
3.  Like the doubler idea.
4.  Use foam rubber between tank and fuse, as convenient.  Depends on how the tank is held on.
5.  Route from pickup point to NVA is not a factor, in my experience.  Location of pickup and vent, at their ends, matters.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 10:20:53 AM »
I'm thinking about replacing what's there with a uniflow, that isn't so tall.  I would hope that'll give me better draw and put outboard edge of the tank closer to the needle.  I have a bit of an issue with that because I'd like to be able to do the pattern with the plane, and there's only 3 1/2" from the leading edge to the back of the engine.  This leaves me concerned that any tank that'll fit will have problems with fuel flow toward the end of the pattern. 

Just make the tank depth/vertical dimension whatever is needed to get the desired capacity.    I agree with the general idea.

Check that the insert is in the venturi. It should be a black oxide-finished insert about 3/8-1/2" long , fit the inside bore of the venturi boss, and maybe a 1/32-.040 wall thickness.  The spraybar passes through it, so it's way down in there.  They are frequently removed to Get More Power. The apparent power level and extreme mixture change from beginning to end is strongly suggestive that this is not present. If it is present,  you can make it smaller, by sleeving it down with brass tubing. That will make a big change in this case, but, you have way more power than you need, and not enough suction, and that would improve both.

15% sounds OK, and may be the only thing making it possible to needle with the excess venturi.

BTW, uniflow will not make it worse, but it also won't improve it. The fuel pressure will be the same as it is at the end of the tank with the current setup, just for the whole flight.

I'm kinda thinking about putting said uniflow tank on the inboard side, but that's not very old-timey.

You want it old-timey, or actually-worky?  Also not a bad idea, but it *should* work with a slightly narrower tank as it is, if the engine is right.

I don't think there is a lot you can do about the vibration, slowing it down might move it out of resonance, but without extreme measures you are going to have a lot of trouble trying to fight the resonance by beefing it up.

Brett

p.s. by "extreme measures" I mean stripping the front end down to the balsa and motor mounts, and replacing the doublers with 1/8 hard ply all the way back or beyond the high point of the wing, then rebuilding it. If you even attempt that - which I don't recommend - you will likely find it oil-soaked in all the critical spots, which will be nearly impossible to remove sufficiently to glue on new doublers. Then - you are cutting off the entire nose, making a new one, and grafting it on. And it might not work anyway.

My suggested solution is obvious, but even less old-timey.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 02:41:22 PM »
I had a hand-me-down Fancherized Twister with an OS Max .35S.  After one too many crashes, the next time I started the engine the nose nearly vibrated off (very scary), foaming the fuel and all the problems you are having.  Acutally I couldn't get it to run long enough to fly her with that engine again.  The nose had the additional balsa over the plywood on the inboard side and felt sound and solid, but it wasn't sound enough for a shaker like the .35S.     I posted a thread for help and tried everything suggested, until I gave up and put an LA 40 on it and the problem simply went away.

Joe Ed Pederson

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 05:08:26 PM »
... Check that the insert is in the venturi. It should be a black oxide-finished insert about 3/8-1/2" long , fit the inside bore of the venturi boss, and maybe a 1/32-.040 wall thickness.  The spraybar passes through it, so it's way down in there. ...

What you describe, except in natural-colored aluminum, in down in there.  My, that's still a honkin' big venturi, though, isn't it?  I may neck it down further.  I'm also going to put at least one layer of nylon mesh over the intake -- less old timey that way (particularly because the mesh I have is purple), but maybe the engine will last longer.

15% sounds OK, and may be the only thing making it possible to needle with the excess venturi.

Hmm -- I shall keep that in mind once I use up this gallon of fuel.  I chose it because it was close, and had lots of castor in it.  The nitro content was definitely a ride-along consideration

... you will likely find it oil-soaked in all the critical spots, which will be nearly impossible to remove sufficiently to glue on new doublers.  ...

That's actually not much of a concern.  The airplane in question had a 5/8" bow in each trailing edge, arranged to make it roll in when you attempted to fly level.  As near as I can tell, that airframe got very little flight time, and I'm guessing from the pattern of repairs that most landings ended with a "crunch".

I think if I'm going to make a new nose for a Fire Cat, I'll just make a new Fire Cat.  I suspect that I could put a 25LA on this one and see it fly just fine; I just want to see if I can get it going with the equipment that was on it when it came to me.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 09:36:05 PM »
    I have rescued several models like this from Craig's List and such, and understand why you do it. Some ask me why I bother, just toss it in the trash! If I thought it wasn't worth it, I would. But if I can get it airborne with a reasonable amount of effort, they make good beater models to fly for fun, for balloon bust events, to lend out or train newbies on, to give away or sell off cheap to keep some one else flying. Like you surmise with this one, most have very little time on the air frames, and they just need a few things done correctly and they are viable airplane. Every airplane deserves a chance to fly. It's got something to do with my past history as a kid not having enough money to get such things, I guess. Definitely not a NATS championship model, but worthy of providing some fun.
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 09:46:02 PM »
What you describe, except in natural-colored aluminum, in down in there.  My, that's still a honkin' big venturi, though, isn't it?  I may neck it down further.

As I recall, the insert was pretty reasonable, but I don't have one to double-check. If the insert is present, that is probably not part of the problem.

Brett

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 06:19:58 AM »
I would start with the tank mounting. Take the metal wire off and use bands (i use size #11) as a temporary hold to see if that eliminates the wire as a problem. If you want to keep the wire, use fuel line over the wire every place the metal hits the tank. i have a feeling your wire might be too tight and is resonating against the tank.

I have 5-6 RH and SuperStunt inserts and all are natural...but not your fix for bubbles.
Bill P.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here