News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya SS45 Ring S-PL PRO?  (Read 8635 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Enya SS45 Ring S-PL PRO?
« on: August 10, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »
Hi ,

Just wondering if the SS45 Ring S-PL PRO is comparable to the OS LA 46 in power output ?

I see the Enya has a rated  HP at 1.30 .

Any thoughts , opinions ?

Thanks

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
Re: Enya SS45 Ring S-PL PRO?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »
I'd be interested to know also.  I've got a ballraced one of these that I made up from a NIB RC one that cost me next to nothing on eBay. I haven't got round to running it yet, but have high hopes for it.  Weighs exactly the same as an SS40.

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »
Well, I have a SS50 that hauls a Berzerker around the sky easily as well as an ST60, if not better. It is doing a 4-2-4 run.

How do you run your LA46? Some guys like the 2-2-2 run on that, while I run mine in 4-2-4 with a head shim. (I expect to get grief about that.)

The SS50 is ballraced, too, and rated at 1.3hp. I am going to try the new SS45S which is bushed like the SS45 S-PL PRO. I am expecting the SS45S to have power like the LA46 at least.

-Chris

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »
I just received a new SS45 RingS-PL Pro and was wondering if anyone has experience with the break-in process for this engine?
From this dated post it doesn't appear too many had run them yet.

Thank you Martin and all. In 3 months or so it will be warm enough for me to start the process, in the meantime lots of building to do.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:44:34 PM by Gordon Van Tighem »
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »
I think they make excellent stunt engines. I wouldn't swop mine for two LA 46s! Take a close look and you will realise that these are quality engines, not the cheap and nasty standard of the LA 46. That will provoke a lot of people, the LA46 is an excellent stunt engine, but quality it most definitely is not!
I fly both and in a wet two there isn't a lot of difference in run quality, but the Enya has the distinct edge on power when set up the way I like it.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 04:21:45 PM »
I just received a new SS45S and was wondering if anyone has experience with the break-in process for this engine?

Hi Gordon, if yours is the basic SS45S (rather than the SS45S Ring PL-Pro) then you've got an iron/steel piston/cylinder, and your best bet would be plenty of short heat-cycling runs, letting it cool completely in between.  This link: http://www3.telus.net/dieselcombat/about_diesels.htm explains it well. Although it discusses break-in of diesels, the basic principles still apply.

You'll probably be told that all Enyas need about 20 years and 50 gallons of fuel through them before they're broken in sufficiently to go flying, but I haven't found that to be the case with any of the more modern ones.  I'd be surprised if you need more than an hour or so of bench running.

Steve

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 08:21:54 PM »

In our experience down here we find the SS45 a lot stronger then OS 46LA and also stronger then ST G51. If you already do not know, more "power" allows us to fly SLOWER with better speed control. A friend of mine could not tell the difference between the SS50 and the SS45. They have the same piston, but the SS50 has just a bit longer stroke.

The Enya durability is legendary and they have extraordinary after sales support. They also have stuff to help you tune the engine, such as head gaskets for this engine in two sizes (0.1mm and 0.3mm) , many venturi sizes (7.0, 7.5, 8.0 and 8.5mm) and replacement parts, if you need them, have a fair price!

So far I am amazed with all my Enya Engines, specially the 45CXL with pipe (much better then OS 46VF in every way!) 

After I learned about Enya Engines I sold all the OS and ST engines I bought when I started. OS 20FP, 40FP, 45FSR, 46VF, 46LA, ST 60s, ST G51  all gone.

If you get one and need help just let us know. I know how to make these engines excel and compete neck to neck with top notch engines. If you want top performance you will be surprise how well it works with a 3 blade 12~12.5x3.75 carbon fiber prop with the stock muffler and without pipe!

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 10:19:14 AM »

So far I am amazed with all my Enya Engines, specially the 45CXL with pipe (much better then OS 46VF in every way!)  

Martin
I don't see this engine on either of Enya's websites.  
They have two different 45's but neither is a "CXL" ? 
Is this an older design no longer available ?   Rear Exhaust ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
I have never seen a reference to a 45 CXL, 60 yes, 45 no unless it is a market specific product. I have run many Enyas, most successfully and am currently breaking in an SS 45S (NOT the ring pro version unfortunately). So far over an hour and a half on it and it still needs more time. It has two running modes: screaming fast 2 stroke or irregular, ragged 4 stroke. Neither particularly useable for stunt IMHO. It will seize up occassionally or just quit.  I had  hopes that  it would run as nice as my early vintage 6001 ringed 45's, not so. It also does not share the same mounting hole pattern as ST-46's which the older 46's do.

Have tried different venturis, props, plugs, fuels. Even flew it on a test-mule plane. Definitely not ready for prime time. Current plan is to put even more time on it and hope it comes in. As far as the 45SRing Pro goes, from what Martin says, it sounds like it is worth the extra money. That's the one I would recommend. More more user friendly than the plain "S" version. No need to worry about power with either version, these new Enyas are strong. As for my 45S (steel piston version), suggestions are welcome.  HB~> 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 07:09:37 PM »
Hi Allan,

I will start a 45CXL topic to answer your questions.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
I have never seen a reference to a 45 CXL, 60 yes, 45 no unless it is a market specific product. I have run many Enyas, most successfully and am currently breaking in an SS 45S (NOT the ring pro version unfortunately). So far over an hour and a half on it and it still needs more time. It has two running modes: screaming fast 2 stroke or irregular, ragged 4 stroke. Neither particularly useable for stunt IMHO. It will seize up occassionally or just quit.  I had  hopes that  it would run as nice as my early vintage 6001 ringed 45's, not so. It also does not share the same mounting hole pattern as ST-46's which the older 46's do.

Have tried different venturis, props, plugs, fuels. Even flew it on a test-mule plane. Definitely not ready for prime time. Current plan is to put even more time on it and hope it comes in. As far as the 45SRing Pro goes, from what Martin says, it sounds like it is worth the extra money. That's the one I would recommend. More more user friendly than the plain "S" version. No need to worry about power with either version, these new Enyas are strong. As for my 45S (steel piston version), suggestions are welcome.  HB~> 8)

I friend of mine bought an Enya SS40 which is basically the same engine as yours but with a smaller piston. He broke in for 2H on the bench and the engine would not peak over 9000rpms with an 11x4, it would seize up every time he tried to run it faster. He thought there was something wrong witht the engine and brought it to me. I looked and found to be 100% with super compression. So I put it in my bench and attached an APC 11x4 prop and using all castor fuel with 0% nitro I ran a tank of fuel to see what was going on. In fact it seized up the moment I try to run it harder. After the engine cooled, almost immediately, it would fire up right away. Sure the piston/liner fit was very very tight, which is GOOD!  I fire up again and this time I started to feel how fast the engine could run without seizing up by pressing the fuel line and kept the engine running at its peak for a few seconds barely rich and release the fuel line to let it go back to 4 Stroking for a while and then pinch the fuel line again to repeat the process. Well I did that the whole tank and at the end I could already see 9300rpms. Then I fill up again the 4Oz tank and repeat the process, at the end it was running better so I kept doing this for 4 more tanks and in the end the engine stop seizing up and could keep 11000 rpms a little rich. My friend was very impressed with the quick results and now very happy with his engine in his Vector. He is using a 10x6 prop 0 Nitro and it runs  descent 4-2-4 Stock.

what I have learned is that some Iron engines comes with a tighter piston/liner fit and it needs an extra 3 or 6 4Oz tanks.

I am not sure how rich my friend did the 2H on the bench, but I guess he was too cautious. The Iron engines I broke in did not take more then 1h on the bench before they were good to fly and this is what I do.

Initially I run the engine 10 times of 1min. I turn the needle 3 turns, or 5 turns on the Pro NVA one, and  set it up to run more in 4 then in 2. I would say about 90% in 4. I let the engine cool completely before starting again. Then I do the same but 8 x 2min, 6 x 3min.  Then I start running full tanks and pinch the fuel line with care to make the engine peak rpm while slightly rich and keep it there for about 8s then release the pinch, wait about 30s and pinch the fuel line again, repeating the process for the full tank. Normally it does not take more then 5 tanks for the engine to be flyable.

For me the engine is good to go when I can feel it can sustain peak rpm for 10 seconds and when I release the fuel line it goes right back to the rpm very fast and run smooth.

If you want to run in 4-2-4 do not use nitro and use the hottest plug you can find. I like Enya 3 and Enya 4C. Or put 1, 2 or more head gaskets to tame the engine 4-2 break if you need to run nitro. Enya has many venturi sizes and head gaskets, so you can tune your engine to run the way you like.

I like to run these engines in a wet 2-2-2 or 4-4-4. You can tune for  4-2-4 but you will need to experiment lots of things to find the right spot for your plane, prop and fuel.

What model do you plan to use this engine with?

I would put an engine like this in Pathfinder, Oriental Plus, Saturn... use 10% nitro 25% total oil with most been castor, with an APC 12x4 prop.

Once the engine is fully broken in you can sure use it in a 60 size model up to 64oz

Let us know how it goes.

Martin

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 09:10:50 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to right a detailed response. I will continue working with the engine, this one is just stubborn I guess. You are right about  lots of compression and a tight P&L fit however I think with more time and heat cycles it should improve. I will also try 0 nitro FAI fuel. My test plane is full fuselage, 56 ounces (w/engine) and 610 inch wing area. This engine pulled it with ease but the engine run still needed improvement. Interesting info about the 45 CXL.  8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:29:11 AM by Balsa Butcher »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 07:04:46 AM »
Hey Martin: 
I ordered one of the SS45 Ring S-PL PRO, should have it in couple of days.  What are the piston & sleeve materials on this one, should I use the same break-in you described above ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
Hi Allan,

The Enya SS45 S Pro Ring is different from SS45 S and use different fuel and different break in process.

The break in is like any Piston Ring engine. Every one has it own way of doing it. I could be wrong about what I will say, but since it has an Iron Ring , I also do the 10 runs of 1min, it will not harm the engine but perhaps this is not necessary. Then I ran 4 to 6 full 4.0Oz tanks running the engine almost breaking into 2 using an APC 11x4. The last 2 tanks I let it run 1 min at peak then back down, 1min rich, then at peak till the tank is empty. Sometimes, at the end of the process, I let the engine run rich in full 2 stroke the full tank to wear the ring faster.

For ring engines, not only Enya, I like to use fuel with most synthetic oil or full synthetic. Byron 10/20 gave me the best performance with my ring engines.

Martin

This engines reacts very well with bigger venturies and bigger props to produce an enormous amount of power to fly slower and with tight lines!

Sometimes the factory ring come with ring gap that is too big. The engine will work and even good, but for ultimate performance I would replace the ring with one from Frank Bowman.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 10:13:14 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to right a detailed response. I will continue working with the engine, this one is just stubborn I guess. You are right about  lots of compression and a tight P&L fit however I think with more time and heat cycles it should improve. I will also try 0 nitro FAI fuel. My test plane is full fuselage, 56 ounces (w/engine) and 610 inch wing area. This engine pulled it with ease but the engine run still needed improvement. Interesting info about the 45 CXL.  8)

no problem, I am happy to help :)

The harder it takes an engine to break in the stronger it will be :)

That is a good size model for the SS45. I suggest you try the APC props 11x4, 11.5x4 and APC 12x4 and 0% to 5% nitro with 25% oil

For me the magic of Enya engines happens around 10000rpm in the ground and with a wet 2-2-2 setup.

I also have the The Enya 45 6001 BB, it is one of my favorites. This engine runs so smooth in profiles. My tip is get the Enya 45 6002 head, it has more compression and it helped to improve the 4-2-4 setup with my Pathfinder turning a 12x6. Enya has a reverse crank for this engine if you want to try running in reverse and Xoar makes 12x6 and 11x6 reverse props.

Martin

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
Thanks Martin, yes, that 6001 BB 45 is an under appreciated engine. I have only run mine on an RSM 11x6 where it runs like a ST-46. I'll try your tip regarding the head swap. Also, interesting that the 45 ring pro is listed as having the same power as a 50 ring with lighter weight. Looks like that is the one to get. thanks for the tips. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 07:11:40 PM »
Thanks Martin, yes, that 6001 BB 45 is an under appreciated engine. I have only run mine on an RSM 11x6 where it runs like a ST-46. I'll try your tip regarding the head swap. Also, interesting that the 45 ring pro is listed as having the same power as a 50 ring with lighter weight. Looks like that is the one to get. thanks for the tips. 8)

Enya Brand was under appreciated down here too. But after I start showing up that the contests using one and getting good results it started to change that. Enya here is a total sucess, specially the SS30 and 61CXRL.

The difference between the SS45 and SS50 is minimal, both have same exact piston. The SS50 has a bit longer stroke and 2 BB. A friend of mine could not tell the difference between the two. The SS50 is already very light, I like it better, and it matches the ST G 51 size and mounting holes. Very easy to take out the ST G51 and put an Enya SS50 to get a lighter nose and a lot more power.

I friend of mine just start to use an SS50 in a Thundergazer and doing very well with it.

Martin

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 09:44:02 PM »
I like that. I know it was off the market for awhile and was glad to see it back. I have also had good luck with the 40 XZS. Light and very strong. Haven't flown my  61 CXRS but very impressed with how it ran on the bench. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 09:51:33 PM »

Thank you Martin and all. In 3 months or so it will be warm enough for me to start the process, in the meantime lots of building to do.
Gord
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
I like that. I know it was off the market for awhile and was glad to see it back. I have also had good luck with the 40 XZS. Light and very strong. Haven't flown my  61 CXRS but very impressed with how it ran on the bench. 8)

I have the 40XZ too, same weight of a OS 40FP, but has 2 BB and the muffler is almost half the weight of the OS ;D
That is the reason I sold my 40FP and Magnum 36XLS. It is lighter, stronger, smoother and much better quality.

I put it in my Pathfinder and it runs as smooth as the 45 6001 BB but with more power. One time I had a bad back pain and decided to take my old and beat up Pathfinder/40XZ for Open Contest which was valid for our Ranking to go the the WC and it did not let me down! I score as good as I have been doing in the fight for the No3 spot. I have no game for No1 and No2,  but the fight was close for the 3d spot with other 2 friends. That day I felt I won the contest! A friend that now is hooked on electrics came to me to say that he had never seen a glow engine working so precisely like an electric motor.

You are lucky to have one, they are no longer made. And too bad that many have been told to buy OS LAs when they had the money to get something much nicer like the Enya 40XZ.

Martin

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »
45SS Update: Bench ran three tanks (12 ounces) of Powermaster FAI fuel (Zero nitro,20% lube, all castor) w/1 ounce Aero Oil through the steel piston 45SS. Cycled through heat/cold cycles with an APC 11x4 prop. Noticeable difference between the first and last tankful. Now runs smooth, needles predictably, holds a steady RPM and stops smoothly when engine quits rather than abruptly. This seems to be the way to go with this engine at least until it is completely broke in. Thanks for the good suggestions Martin.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 09:33:19 PM »
45SS Update: Bench ran three tanks (12 ounces) of Powermaster FAI fuel (Zero nitro,20% lube, all castor) w/1 ounce Aero Oil through the steel piston 45SS. Cycled through heat/cold cycles with an APC 11x4 prop. Noticeable difference between the first and last tankful. Now runs smooth, needles predictably, holds a steady RPM and stops smoothly when engine quits rather than abruptly. This seems to be the way to go with this engine at least until it is completely broke in. Thanks for the good suggestions Martin.  8)

you are welcome!

your engine will get better and better. Some people question if the engine has the power of a 46LA...for me that sounds like a joke  LL~ LL~ LL~ 

The Enya SS45 will fly .60 size models!  Although it is small and light enough to be used with a Vector.

Good luck with it! You have an engine that will keep running in peak performance for much longer then the others.

Martin

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 06:50:04 AM »

I have the 40XZ too, same weight of a OS 40FP, but has 2 BB and the muffler is almost half the weight of the OS ;D
That is the reason I sold my 40FP and Magnum 36XLS. It is lighter, stronger, smoother and much better quality.

I put it in my Pathfinder and it runs as smooth as the 45 6001 BB but with more power. One time I had a bad back pain and decided to take my old and beat up Pathfinder/40XZ for Open Contest which was valid for our Ranking to go the the WC and it did not let me down! I score as good as I have been doing in the fight for the No3 spot. I have no game for No1 and No2,  but the fight was close for the 3d spot with other 2 friends. That day I felt I won the contest! A friend that now is hooked on electrics came to me to say that he had never seen a glow engine working so precisely like an electric motor.

You are lucky to have one, they are no longer made. And too bad that many have been told to buy OS LAs when they had the money to get something much nicer like the Enya 40XZ.

Martin

Hey Martin:
Have you ever run the 40XZ on a pipe ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 07:00:31 AM »
Most of the non ball bearing Enya had the crankshaft to tight. A friend put me wise to this 30+ years ago. I lap fitted the crank to the bearing and then the motors broke in with in one hour of running. I kept thinking the piston was tight but it was the crank. It took a long time to break in the crank with bench running. Notice I said HAD as I am talking about older motors.Maybe the new one are better. :!
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Luke Spreadborough

• Ensign
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 07:57:55 AM »
The new ones are better. Years back I had an Enya 09 with a noticably tight bush, I was told by an experienced stunt guy to remove the crank, slide the front housing over it and mount the crank nose in a drill, lube it with straight kerosene and fire up the drill while holding the housing. This worked very well.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 11:18:01 PM »
Hey Martin:

Hi Allan,

No I have not but have plans to try it in my pathfinder one of these days. Without pipe it runs amazingly well with an APC 12x4 7.5mm venturi with my Pathfinder.  Also great with APC 10.5x4.5, 6.5mm venturi  with the Vector.

The Enya 40XZ has higher timing then OS 40VF, so I suggest using longer pipe then what people normally use with the VFs.

If you do let me know.

Martin

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 06:32:57 AM »
Hi Allan,

No I have not but have plans to try it in my pathfinder one of these days. Without pipe it runs amazingly well with an APC 12x4 7.5mm venturi with my Pathfinder.  Also great with APC 10.5x4.5, 6.5mm venturi  with the Vector.

The Enya 40XZ has higher timing then OS 40VF, so I suggest using longer pipe then what people normally use with the VFs.

If you do let me know.

Martin
I have one of the 40XZ's.  Have had it in the air in an old dog of a plane for maybe 4~5 flights, but didn't really work on the set up all that much.  That was maybe 2.5~3 years ago. All I remember is that is was a smooth runner, but seemed average on power.  But I read where you compared it to the 45 6001 on power so I want to revisit it.  What was the weight of the Pathfinder you had the 40XZ in ?    I have the Ringmaster Deluxe, 615 sq.in. wing at 48oz currently with an AeroTiger36 which I have run both with muffler and pipe.  Have never found the "Happy" pipe setting to date but it does just fine on the muffler [of course the AT36 is like a strong 40].  Was thinking about putting the 40XZ in the RMD and seeing what it will do on a pipe.  I did finally manage to get my 61CXLRS in the SV-11 sorted out on a pipe.  Its working real good now with the longer pipe setting like you said, I think I ended up at 20.5".  And hopefully sometime later this year I will get around to the pair of 32CXLS's I plan to put in a Gieseke Nobler.  They are RE but I will be setting them up on a muffler.  You have any experience with those ?  
One more thing back on the 40XZ, the 7.5 venturi, do you remember if that is the standard size it comes with ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 01:43:22 PM »

Hi Allan,

I find the Enya 40XZ quite a bit stronger then Enya 45 6001, and mine has the high compression head of the 45 6002. My Pathfinder has 620sq wing and 51Oz.

Here is my friend Jorge flying his Pathfinder using the 40XZ. Winds at about 17mph  ;D

Probably the strongest 40 out there!

The Enya 40XZ takes some time to fully break in and let loose all its power. I wonder if the NSK bearings have also something to do with this.

The stock venturi of the 40XZ is 7.0mm. So I suggest you get the 7.5mm one.

Ahhhh... I there is another detail, the Enya 40XZ muffler has a smaller intake size and we file the port to match the engine exhaust port. I also enlarged the exhaust exit hole with a round file. I tried the MACS C/L muffler stock and it worked amazingly well too,  a bit better then the original muffler I modified.

I have no experience with the Enya 32CXL. Check the exhaust timing, compare to other engines and estimate a starting point for the pipe and go from there.

Good luck,

Martin

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »
Hey Martin:

I have , they run very well, too bad they have not been available for so long.

Randy

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »
Hey Randy, when you say:
"Very smooth and good power, but NOT the power of a PA 40"

Are you comparing the Enya to the regular PA-40 or the Ultra-lite, or do both of your 40's have similar power ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 05:16:28 PM »
Hey Randy, when you say:

Are you comparing the Enya to the regular PA-40 or the Ultra-lite, or do both of your 40's have similar power ?

I am not Randy, but the regular and UL 40 are very close in power to each other - and plenty strong. It's actually quite remarkable how close they are to each other aside from *every single dimension and weight*. The first 40UL we saw we put our standard PA40 setup and it worked pretty much the same. That particular setup was FAR TOO powerful for the typical Classic airplane but was just what you needed for a regular stunt plane.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 05:44:08 PM »
Hey Randy, when you say:

Either of them, as they both produce similar power, and they both respond very well to opening them up, a lot.
The Merlin UL will and has powered several 700 sq in 60 ounce airplanes with ease, such as the NATs winning Super Ares, they are also in planes larger than 700 squares, the regular 40 powered a 65 ounce Impact to a NATs win in 100 degree heat, high altitude, and very strong winds. there are of course countless examples of these 2 motors.
The Enya 40 XLS is a really good motor too, it is perfect for a Nobler sized ship, or Chipmonk, Vector 40  , Tempest 40, etc.. Although opened up some it will develop power to fly larger ships

Enya would have been wise to have forgot the 32 side and rear, and just made the light weight 40 into a side and rear exhaust, the weight is about identical, as was the overall  size.

Randy
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:04:17 PM by RandySmith »

John Leidle

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »
  I think Enya would do well to produce some of the .61 CXLRS engines I hear about.
  John

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »
Hello Martin,
I have a plain bushed Enya SS40 which I run with a low pitch prop and suitable rpm to match. I am quite pleased with the results. Other people in the UK have tried them and found them very inconsistent, run to run. Do you have any idea why this might be so?
Additionally I am waiting for a NIB Enya 45 type 6002. I know that the Enya 45 6001 is the preferred stunt engine and I am told this runs well in a 4-2-4 mode. I am going to experiment with the 6002 to see if it will run in a wet two with a low pitch prop. Have you any experience with the 6002 that may save me some time and effort?

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »

I think Enya would do well to produce some of the .61 CXLRS engines I hear about.
  John

They seem to do short runs every so often.  The 61 CX reappeared about a year ago, but was sold out again in a couple of weeks (just long enough for me to grab one).

Andrew, I believe Peter Millar has successfully used the 6002 in his big Spectres, so he might be worth checking with as well.  You could get in touch with him via Barton.

Steve

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »
Hello Martin,
I have a plain bushed Enya SS40 which I run with a low pitch prop and suitable rpm to match. I am quite pleased with the results. Other people in the UK have tried them and found them very inconsistent, run to run. Do you have any idea why this might be so?
Additionally I am waiting for a NIB Enya 45 type 6002. I know that the Enya 45 6001 is the preferred stunt engine and I am told this runs well in a 4-2-4 mode. I am going to experiment with the 6002 to see if it will run in a wet two with a low pitch prop. Have you any experience with the 6002 that may save me some time and effort?

Regards,

Andrew.

If I may, I have run the 6002 and I didn't really like it.
The 6001 is as good as a ST 46, though.
The 6002 ran better in a dry 2-2-2... There is a thread about both 6001 and 6002 here in the engine board.
Maybe someone was luckier than me with the 6002...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 09:53:14 PM »
Hi Andrew,

Bill Draper from UK had his best placing at a W.C. with an Enya SS40, 7th or 8th I think. He did pretty good at important contests in Europe with this engine also, so no doubt the engine is very reliable. These other flyers in the UK must be using the wrong fuel, props or they just did not break in the engine properly. See Reply #10

If they post their problems here I am sure we can help them out.

I never tried the 45 6002. But it has good timing, 140o total exhaust time and should work very well, in 4-2-4 2-2-2 or 4-4-4. Break in procedures is the same as any ring engine, much easier then SS40 which has iron piston. My experience with Enya Piston Ring engines is that they do not like too much castor oil. Not knowing much about engines back when I started I put a 12x6 for the Enya 45 6001 to spin, and it worked much better in the Pathfinder in 2-2-2 then a 11x7 in 4-2-4. Then came the old experts and told me that I needed to put lots of castor oil in the fuel! Well I did that and the engine overheated. So I went back to plain RC fuel with 18% oil which worked much better. Later I found out about Byron 10/20 traditional and that was the best fuel I have tried with my Enya 45 6001. Yeah 12x6 prop is pushing the limits of the 45 6001 but with good fuel it works really well.  I must have put over 1000 flights in this engine this way and was very successful with this combo. I got this engine used from Robert Compton early 2006 (Thx Robert for such a nice deal!) and the engine still working mighty fine today.

Not knowing exactly how the Enya 45 6002 runs my starting point would be a fuel with mostly synthetic oil like Byron 10/20. I am not 100% sure what size venturi it comes stock, but I think it is the 7.5mm, so for a Vector size model I would replace the venturi for the 7.0mm one and restrict the air intake with an air filter and use a 10x5 prop or the APC 10.5x4.5.  In a Legacy 40 an 11x5 prop and 7.0mm venturi. In a Pathfinder ARF a 12x5 with the stock 7.5mm venturi and if I need more power for a heavier model I would try the 8.0mm venturi and a 12.5x5 prop. Again this is a starting point.

Well this is as much as I can tell you for now based on my experience with similar engines from Enya. If you have more questions I will be glad to try to help you.

Martin

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:07:25 PM by Martin Quartim »

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 10:34:11 PM »
Marcus,

that used Enya 45 6002 you got was for you to learn the basics with a Pathfinder ARF which is pretty light and it would work well.  When you came here the engine seemed to be working good, except your 63Oz Totally Rebuilt Pathfinder  was too much load for it and it over heated. If we had more time we could have tried a bigger venturi. I have Frank Bowman rings here for this engine and I will be glad to replace it for you if you want it, that will improve the engine power.

Your Enya 45 6002 the way it is should work fine for many years, but with lighter models,  up to 50Oz.  If I replace the ring it will improve the power. However for the ring to seat completely and you notice the difference you will need to fly 2 or 3 gallons of fuel.

If you need help feel free to call me.

Martin

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »
Hello Martin,
Many thanks for your suggestions re the 45 6002. I would prefer to run a 2-2-2, I realise that this engine is a baffle piston, old style, cross flow. Is there any advantage in running a much finer pitch prop as one would for a modern schnuerle ported engine? Maybe an APC with 4 inches of pitch? , I start getting worried when I see pitches of 5 inches or more, although I realise these are typical pitch figures for baffle piston engines! I suppose I could always do the experiment, but why reinvent the wheel when someone else has done the experiment?

Thanks again,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 08:30:13 AM »

Hi Andrew,

The Enya 45 6002 is a well built engine and you can try 4 pitch props and see how it works. When you try different pitch props you will change the working rpm range and eventually you will find out the sweet spot in which the engine likes to work. The Schnuerle Enyas works best from 9500 to 10500 rpm on the ground, and in this rpm range one can set it up to work 4-2-4, 2-2-2 or 4-4-4.

The Enya 45 4002 could have a sweet spot between the 45 6001 and the Sch. ones, so my *guess* is that  a 5 pitch prop would work in the sweet spot.

You can tune the engine to run in 2-2-2 even with a 12x6 prop. You do not need to use a 4 pitch prop for a 2-2-2 setup.
If your engine is running in 4-2-4 and you want to run in 2-2-2 you can do one or a combination of this things:
- use a smaller venturi or restrict it with an air filter
- lower the nitro
- Lower head compression with a Head Shim
- Use a Larger Prop

The advantage of running a lower pitch prop with the Sch. Enyas  is a lot more power, better speed regulation and it performs so much better in windy conditions.

Regards,

Martin

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »
Hello Martin,
Thanks for the above, I will give it a try and see what works.

Thanks again,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »

Just for the record I am adding this post in this thread in case some one researches about the use of the Enya SS45

I have tested an Enya SS45BB in a Blue Max 60 and it worked very well. Total weight is  1850g.  I friend is using one in a Thundergazer with a Brian Eather 12x3.75 3B and he never misses a flight. Fill the tank, fire it up and fly!

It is a stock engine with the stock muffler, except I put a 8.5mm Venturi and a large exhaust deflector.

I use 2 exhaust deflector to change the power of the engine. I cut a large one and use the straight part and the  Stock one.  Prop is a stock APC 12x4. 

I flew this plane in some strong wind and it pull through without winding up. The only problem I had in very strong wind was turning into the wind in the 2nd right loop. The engine burps rich. I install the tank 4mm below the NVA center, which helps in the Horizontal 8 but it makes the Schenuerle Bug effect worse.

As you can see in the videos, one flight was pretty slow, one ok and the other faster. There is plenty of power and you can tune the engine to fly in the speed you desire.

Martin

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here