News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:10:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya Running Lean?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Christopher Root

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Enya Running Lean?
« on: April 16, 2021, 12:32:57 PM »
Hello!  I have an Enya 5224 (.29) that is pretty well broken in. Running it today on 10% nitro 29% oil. Had the NVA backed all the way open and it was still 2-cycling, running leaner than I would expect. Any thoughts?  29F air temperature if that matters. Thanks!

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Enya Running Lean?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 01:25:32 PM »
              Is there a fuel filter inline? In addition, 29% is a lot of oil and is not needed for that engine. Enya recommends 20% oil. The fact that it was 29 deg out and you have that much oil in it can cause it too thicken up a fair amount. It wouldn't prevent it from running just require the needle to be slightly open more. When was the last time the needle was removed and the spraybar thoroughly cleaned? Is the spraybar properly orientated in the case?

Is this the square venturi version or the round? The gasket under the venturi could also be leaking sucking air which in turn the only way to compensate is to open the needle all the way. You may have to re-seal the venturi assembly. Also take a look at the screws that hold the front of the case on and make certain they're tight.

Your tank could also be leaking. Do a pressure test on the tank by trying to inflate it with a large syringe with the tank underwater. Pressurize it as if you were trying to explode it. Also if it's a Perfect tank, they used brass tubing that was seamed which splits internally therefore while the tank may pass the pressure test externally, internally it's screwed when the split becomes uncovered.

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 01:35:43 PM »
Thank you!  Yes there is a fuel filter.  Yes the NVA is clean and in the proper orientation. Front-end screws are tight. Venturi is square. I will try 22% oil 50/50 castor/synthetic and see if that helps.  Maybe a warmer day too ;-)

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 06:52:47 PM »

also, check if you are not getting fuel foaming problems. Fuel foaming is a real problem with high revving engines on profile models.

You open the needle and nothing happens! too much air in the fuel line!

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 11:51:58 AM »
  29F air temperature if that matters. Thanks!

It is possible that the spraybar and plumbing will not pass enough fuel at those temperatures, meaning that the fuel sypply lines themselves are doing the metering, not the needle. 29% castor oil fuel at less than freezing temperatures will be extremely viscous.   I also assume since it is now the middle of April, it would have taken care of itself.

My solution to cold-weather flying is to stay home and watch TV. 

However, I would certainly go for the obvious first - some sort of restriction/debris, or an air leak.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 08:32:28 PM »
Re Coated a engine bay with 2 pot. and meant to cleaer the vent tubes , that conect by fuel tube, to the tank , HOWEVER , we didnt , and it had ' no needle ' .

So checking it all blows through clearly isnt a bad idea. given the tip to stick tubeing over the pipes , before paint .

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 01:31:05 PM »
Thank you!  That's good advice.  Here is Mass, we got hit with a Nor'Easter on Friday, leaving us with 6+ inches of snow. For some reason, I thought that, plus 29F temps, was a good reason to start prepping for spring flying ;-)

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »
OK. Tried again today—high 50’s temp.  10% nitro 22% oil. Now it “surges,” rather strongly.

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 07:24:16 PM »
One of my other engines quits when I just start to barely lean it out— NVA is clear, fuel tubing is good

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 11:01:40 PM »
    If you are running both engines on the same fuel, try some different fuel. Don't assume anything.
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 04:56:55 AM »
Which venturi are you using?  #1 works good but #'s 2&3 are kinda big.  New 'hot' glo plug too.

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 06:16:57 PM »
Yes using #1 Venturi , although it is a little “loose” in the metal engine base. Definitely too much air in the fuel line, but it is a flying wing and the fuel tank is buried in the wing

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 08:58:23 PM »
Yes using #1 Venturi , although it is a little “loose” in the metal engine base. Definitely too much air in the fuel line, but it is a flying wing and the fuel tank is buried in the wing

A "little loose" isn't any good. Best to seal it off and be sure. Something like a rubber O ring or something may have shrunk over the winter. I would investigate that. Again, assume nothing, fix it.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 10:15:32 PM »
Quote from: Christopher Root
Definitely too much air in the fuel line, but it is a flying wing and the fuel tank is buried in the wing

Any air in the fuel line is too much, sounds like it is time to get out the exacto knife.

Brett

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 07:12:49 AM »
Metal tanks in a combat plane is a never ending source of frustration. They leak , pickups get loose, crud builds up and just when you get it sorted you have a hard landing and it all begins again . If it’s just a fun / sport setup I suggest you pull the hard tank and build a small bladder compartment.

Bladders have certain issues also but compared to a hard tank they work with much more reliably. No modern combat flyer would even consider hard tanks . As a bonus bladders allows for more enthusiastic maneuvers.

Brad

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 09:28:38 AM »
OK! I will get the knife out and remove the tank. Where do I get a bladder from?  Never worked with one before. Also, the venturi is square. How to I gasket/shim/tighten that up?

C R

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 10:26:41 AM »
I don’t know your location, my advice is to find a combat flyer. Running a bladder can seem like a black art until your comfortable with them . I have helped some of the locals sort out using them . Most times I end up starting and setting the needle .

Buying bladder tubing and fittings can be accomplished by contacting Phil Cartier a member on here . Running a bladder works better if you set it up for higher RPM prop wise .

One thing you will need is a method to pinch off the fuel . Clamps and clips , even an old perfect line connector will work . A basic pre starting procedure is the “drip test” . This will allow you to get the needle setting in the ballpark before you try to start . A rule of thumb is one thousand, two thousand steady drip with the nose of the model pointing down .

I hope this will help you, if my anti tank rant has been over the top sorry about that .

Brad

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 04:45:34 PM »
Problem solved!  Thank you for your input! So my plane is a flying wing that I use for sport flying.  It came with a metal tank buried in the wing, with two tubes protruding from the top.  Enya .29 on the front, 10% nitro 22% oil (50/50).  I blocked BOTH overflow tubes, it stopped sucking air into the fuel line, and it ran like a champ for an entire tank! Thanks again .. . 

C R

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here