News:

• May 14, 2024, 04:38:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Disassembling an FP40  (Read 732 times)

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Disassembling an FP40
« on: February 22, 2008, 03:15:37 AM »
G'day folks

Can anybody tell me trick for getting the piston and rod out of an FP40 or a GP40?  One is a clone of the other but I can't see what the trick is.

It must be easy, I just can't see it.

Thanks in advance, Geoff

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Disassembling an FP40
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 04:31:11 AM »
Geoff, I would suggest you soak the motor in WD40 or something for a bit. Remove the head, backplate and then remove the sleeve. If the piston liner (sleeve) will not come out you may need to carefully apply heat to the assembly with a bernzomatic, stove etc and then force the sleeve from the bottom with a popsicle stick and then pull it out. Then lightly mark the back of the rod so you can put it back in correctly. Rotate the crankshaft carefully to bottom dead center. Use forceps or needle nose  pliers to romove the rod from the crankpin and you should be done. It usually takes some time and frustration but if you are careful it should be no proble.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:18:57 AM »
Geoff, I would suggest you soak the motor in WD40 or something for a bit. Remove the head, backplate and then remove the sleeve. If the piston liner (sleeve) will not come out you may need to carefully apply heat to the assembly with a bernzomatic, stove etc and then force the sleeve from the bottom with a popsicle stick and then pull it out. Then lightly mark the back of the rod so you can put it back in correctly. Rotate the crankshaft carefully to bottom dead center. Use forceps or needle nose  pliers to romove the rod from the crankpin and you should be done. It usually takes some time and frustration but if you are careful it should be no proble.
Wayne

What Wayne said. Also, if you've been running bean oil there is probably some thick oil on the piston pin that makes moving the rod back difficult. Use a "little" heat from a torch applied directly to the PP and rod to soften the oil and then reach under the rod with an allen wrench (my dad taught me that) to lift it off the crank pin. Good luck.
 DaveA

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
Hi Goeff, I have found that many FP's and others have too tight a fit of the wrist pin in the piston and as a result tend to weld themselves together! Use a strong solvent for a day or two and then if the connecting rod won't still move back and forth easily, put an allen wrench of about 1/8 thickness or so in a vice grip and pull the connecting rod loose from the piston/ wrist pin weld! Use a rag to hold the engine so that you may get a stronger grip on the engine. Once apart use some Flitz or rouge to loosen up the piston/rod tolerance. In addition drill a small hole in the top of the connecting rod to serve as an oil access hole. Champer the hole with a small counter sink to serve as a well to catch the oil and help to admit it to the wrist pin. Note that the bottom end of the connecting rod already has a hole run through it to serve in the same fashion! Hope that this helps!
Phil Spillman

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 06:35:06 PM »
In my previous post I should have suggested opening up the small end of the connecting rod as opposed to the piston!By all means leave the piston alone and work on the small end of the rod! I have found that a q-tip will hold plenty of the Flitz abrasive to do the job. If you can't get Flitz, try silver polish or Denture Tooth Paste as an abrasive!
Phil Spillman

Offline gary tultz

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 05:33:36 AM »
But Phil, I still gots my own teeth.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) LL~

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain