News:

• May 12, 2024, 10:09:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST .40 stunt set up  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
ST .40 stunt set up
« on: November 01, 2010, 11:33:27 AM »
HI All,

I have a ST 40 that was set up by Big Jim, Hemi head and all.  The piston uncovers at TDC, and I am wondering how this "sub piston induction" effects a stunt run if a muffler is used?  It is a twin ring engine, and the muffler lugs were present, but have been removed.

Plus:
1. what type of prop?
2. approximately how much fuel needed for 6:30 run time (it has a .271 venturi)?

Thanks!
Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: ST .40 stunt set up
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »
Hi Bill   You will hear all kinds of bad things about this motor but they run fine for me. Be sure to use a tube muffler with a large opening as to not create to much back preasure. My Juno I had at the 88 nats had one in it and I went on to record over 1400 flight with it. Everone remarked how well it ran as they thought I had a .46 in it. A week before the nats my .46 self destructed when the band came off the crank. I still have the motor with a new ring in it. I run a Zinger 11/5, 18 % oil :X
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:12:30 AM »
Thanks, Ed.  I meant to ask you about this one when I was at Huntersville.  :-[  With everything going on, I forgot.  This one seems to be in real good shape right now.  I have another one which is a single piston, stock.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
Bill    Most of those early double ring 40's came from the factory with a hemi head.The double ring models also had a smaller crankcase port. There is also a difference in sleeve intake timing. I have a ledger I kept on all the different versions I worked on so I could keep the right combinations together as there were many variations of the .40&.46. Also your motor is more than likely the thin sleeve version. ~^
Ed

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »
Bill    Most of those early double ring 40's came from the factory with a hemi head.The double ring models also had a smaller crankcase port. There is also a difference in sleeve intake timing. I have a ledger I kept on all the different versions I worked on so I could keep the right combinations together as there were many variations of the .40&.46. Also your motor is more than likely the thin sleeve version. ~^
Ed

Hi Ed,

I am hoping that I can get what little use I need out of it.  Good compression and seal right now, and it is a Big Jim engine.  Nothing has been done to it since Jim reworked it.  The "other one", much newer I think, is the single ring but it needs bearings and a new ring.  Just a substitute in a plane where I was initially was going to use a ST .46.  The plane is smallish, and the .40 will be plenty for it (won a NATS with a Fox .35)...

Fuel amount?  I am trying to decide how big a tank to install.  Pretty sure I can fit a 4 1/2 oz, "maybe" a 5 oz., before I have to go to a weird size/shape one.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 05:26:26 PM »
Bill the thin sleeve version runs fine. For RC use with big props thay gave problems. If you remove the bearings on the other one and use the crock pot cleaning method there is a good chance there is nothing wrong with them. They will not clean up as well if you leave them in the motor when using the pot method. y1
Ed

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
Bill the thin sleeve version runs fine. For RC use with big props thay gave problems. If you remove the bearings on the other one and use the crock pot cleaning method there is a good chance there is nothing wrong with them. They will not clean up as well if you leave them in the motor when using the pot method. y1
Ed

Thanks, Ed.  The bearings are out, I haven't tried cleaning them, just thought I would replace them.  Going to contact Frank for rings.  THEN i will give you a call! LOL!!

Will a 4 1/2 oz tank be enough for 6:30 on 5% fuel?  Gotta see if a tank will fit into the plane, not sure a 5 oz will fit.

Thanks, again!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 07:38:54 PM »
Bill my 40-46 all used 5.0+ounces. When I made the change to the ABC setup on the .46 the fuel went down to4.5 oz. I run 14-16% oil,25% castor on the ABC setup. ~^
Ed

Offline WestCoastOldie

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 12:12:52 AM »
Hi Ed,

I am hoping that I can get what little use I need out of it.  Good compression and seal right now, and it is a Big Jim engine.  Nothing has been done to it since Jim reworked it.  The "other one", much newer I think, is the single ring but it needs bearings and a new ring.  Just a substitute in a plane where I was initially was going to use a ST .46.  The plane is smallish, and the .40 will be plenty for it (won a NATS with a Fox .35)...

Fuel amount?  I am trying to decide how big a tank to install.  Pretty sure I can fit a 4 1/2 oz, "maybe" a 5 oz., before I have to go to a weird size/shape one.

Big Bear

Well, you got the engine from me, so I'll tell you how I used it.

It was mounted in a slightly modified/enlarged Tutor that had a 25% foam wing and flew beautifully.

I always ran Taff's 10% PA Blend fuel with Caster oil, a 4.5 oz tank (IIRC) , a Big Art strap-on tube muffler with the tail pipe opened up a little, ST-40 NVA and the same venturi thats in it now, plus two or three head shims, with a 10/6 wooden prop. Top Flite or BY+O.

It was always a stone-reliable, no-nonsense, no-fiddling engine that made good power. In fact, once it was set-up, I never even touched the needle valve but with a larger venturi I have little doubt that theres more power available.

I still have the mate to it if you decide that you want/need it.

Good luck with it.
Ken Whitehawk

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 10:09:50 AM »
Thanks, Ken.  My message to you about this must have gotten lost.  Thanks, again!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here