News:

• May 02, 2024, 06:10:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Venturi size  (Read 5070 times)

Offline roger gebhart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Venturi size
« on: December 30, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
I have picked up a OS40la and a 35fp rc engines. Both new. What size venture is recommended for them when I convert them. Anything else I need to know would help. Thanks   rog

I have a lathe and material to build these. Also have a 46la stunt. Same size venture work on the other 2?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:25:56 PM by roger gebhart »

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
Re: Venturi size
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »
Try the factory venturi for the FP 20/25. If that strangles the engines, try running a 17/64" drill or reamer through the venturi to create the same venturi as used to be supplied as the small venturi when OS supplied two venturis with the FP 35 and FP 40. With the OS NVA through the inlet, it's a simple bolt together conversion.

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 05:59:03 PM »
Geoff; Thanks for the info. A little research turned up 7MM for OS20 venturi. Have built two and will get them installed when NVA's get here.  Thanks again  rog

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 11:13:47 PM »
Many (not all) like .272" to .285" bore with .156" spraybars through. My .25LA currently has a .272/.156 combination, .272 and .281 restrictors in my .46LA, and as big as .312" in my #4055 K&B .40. I'm a big fan of Randy Smith's NV Assemblies...absolutely none finer...and definitely not a fan of the OS NV Assy. They have an annoying failure mode where they just don't work, but look fine. I think either the spraybar or NV is bent. But I also don't like clickers. PITA to assemble and not infinitely adjustable.

While you can certainly always drill out your "venturi", you can also make it effectively smaller with layers of pantyhose nylon mesh, held on with 0-ring, wire-tie, etc. Remember also, that it's a pump, and restricting the exhaust has much the same effect as a smaller venturi. Read Randy Smith's pinned articles at the top of this forum. Also read the pinned posts on the .46LA just below Randy's articles. Good stuff there!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 05:30:11 AM »
Roger, I've converted a few FP 20s from RC using the venturi that Tower sells for the FP 20/25 and, despite what their technical dept says, every one of them has been 6.55mm ID—as measured with a vernier that has never been dropped. I've also bought some LA 46 venturis from Tower and they all measure 7.1mm.

Some applications use the 17/64"ID (6.75mm) for the LA 46 and there have been reports of the FP 20/25 venturi working to tame the FP 40. I have only used the FP 20/25 venturi in FP 20s flying Goldberg Shoestrings. I tried the FP 20/25 venturi and a 6.75mm venturi in an FP 40 in the 59oz model—both unsuccesfully—and I tried the 6.75mm venturi in an LA 46 in the 59oz model. It was OK but the stock 7.1mm venturi produced a better result.

The model was 565 sq in and weighed 59oz. That may have been a factor.

I can only guess what the result will be with a 7mm venturi in an FP 20.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »
Roger, I've converted a few FP 20s from RC using the venturi that Tower sells for the FP 20/25 and, despite what their technical dept says, every one of them has been 6.55mm ID—as measured with a vernier that has never been dropped. I've also bought some LA 46 venturis from Tower and they all measure 7.1mm.

Some applications use the 17/64"ID (6.75mm) for the LA 46 and there have been reports of the FP 20/25 venturi working to tame the FP 40. I have only used the FP 20/25 venturi in FP 20s flying Goldberg Shoestrings. I tried the FP 20/25 venturi and a 6.75mm venturi in an FP 40 in the 59oz model—both unsuccesfully—and I tried the 6.75mm venturi in an LA 46 in the 59oz model. It was OK but the stock 7.1mm venturi produced a better result.

The model was 565 sq in and weighed 59oz. That may have been a factor.

I can only guess what the result will be with a 7mm venturi in an FP 20.

Absolutely correct. The stock 20FP/25LA venturi is .257 (6.55 mm) and that's the one you want. You *do not* want to use a .276 (7.0 mm) venturi in the 20FP, at least not with the stock spraybar, unless you like one screaming burndown after another. If you use an ST spraybar, then that's about right, but there's no good reason to not use the stock spraybar arrangement, or the stock rear needle.

Interestingly, if you compare competitive systems, you will find that the range of acceptable venturi sizes is very narrow for a huge variation in the displacement. The choke area on David Fitzgerald's 75 as configured at the WC he won was about the same as a stock 20FP, and the same thing holds for the 40/46VF, PA61, RO-Jett 61 BSE etc, even back to the ST46. The reason is obvious, to me, at least -  you only need about .4-.5 HP for any of the common competitive models, and the venturi size controls the overall power capability of the engine.

Brett

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »
Brett I am putting these in an 40la and  35fp .At 7mm am I close enough?  thanks rog

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 07:35:25 PM »
Brett I am putting these in an 40la and  35fp .At 7mm am I close enough?  thanks rog

Roger
If your using the stock very thin OS NVA, use the small OS 25 venturie .255, if you use a standard type NVA such as a PA  TIGER or OLd OS that is .157 diameter use the 40 size venturie .275, be aware they also shipped some with .287 venturies

Randy

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 11:22:25 PM »

I don't know for sure - what did the CL version come with originally? And more to the point, for which airplane? 

Brett

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »
Brett, I wasn't active at the time but I've been told by some who were that when the FP 35 and FP 40 were supplied with two venturis from the factory, they were 6.75mm (0.266", 17/64") and 7.1mm (0.280") ID. Also, Pat Johnston's selection chart talks about 0.257" (6.53mm—the stock FP 20/25 venturi?), 0.265" (6.73mm) and 0.282" (7.16mm) OS venturis.

For Roger's FP 35 and LA 40, based on what I've seen other people use, I would start with the 6.55mm ID FP 20/25 venturi in both and open them up if required for the particular model. You may remember an article in Stunt News where the author used the FP 20/25 venturi in an FP 40 powered Twister—a combination that he was particularly pleased with.

Certainly, based on my experience with the FP 40 and LA 46 in the porker I've mentioned before, I too, think the model is a factor. I used the same tank and propellers with both engines and found the LA 46 with the standard LA 46-S venturi and the APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop was the most successful combination.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 04:54:58 AM »
Depends on plane. Same with extra head gaskets. Lightweight sport/stunt planes like the Midwest Magician and Twister should work well with the smaller .257 venturi in either the LA40 or FP35. In a Tower 40 (FP40 clone, but better materials and better machining) I had a .272 venturi (Lee Machine, he makes most in between sizes .257-.283) in a Light Weight Midwest Magician. 36 ounces. Walter Umland wing kit, fues made of wood as light and stiff as I had. Excellent flier. Very well matched engine run. 2 or 3 extra head gaskets, stock FP click needle valve, tongue muffler. This past season I pulled out a $10 flea market Prowler to work with. 46 ounce plane, much thicker airfoil. Power was a Tower 40, same set up as the Macigician. It would pull the Prowler but needed to be set to a leaner 2-stroke, the result was no break. Not ideal. Dan Banjock and Mike Palko insisted I go to a bigger venturi. The .283 improved the run. More power, more authority over the top, but still not much break, if any. Mike and Dan then got on me to remove head gaskets and up compression. OK. Did that. Now I had a break, good power, very nice match to this plane. Fuel, 10% Powermaster, 22%(50/50). Needle was not critical. Power delivery the same flight to flight. I did some further messing around. I had the actual engine from the Magician tuned as it was when flying that bird. I bolted it to the Prowler. It behaved the same as the other Tower 40. It worked best with the bigger venturi and one thin head gasket.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 08:01:31 PM »
Brett, I wasn't active at the time but I've been told by some who were that when the FP 35 and FP 40 were supplied with two venturis from the factory, they were 6.75mm (0.266", 17/64") and 7.1mm (0.280") ID. Also, Pat Johnston's selection chart talks about 0.257" (6.53mm—the stock FP 20/25 venturi?), 0.265" (6.73mm) and 0.282" (7.16mm) OS venturis.

I had an OS35FP and it worked very well with the smaller of the two venturis. The larger was too large for suction on a stunt plane. The same thing seems to apply to almost all the OS engines that came with two venturis. Back in the day it was the same thing with the OS35-S. Everybody started with the large one, and usually lost the small one. Then, screaming burn-down after screaming burn-down, they got the idea that you needed to use the smaller one, at which point the search began.

Brett

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 06:46:20 AM »
The large venturi works, can be preferable to the smaller venturi, depending on weight and drag of model. Engines need to be tuned to the model. Runaway is often the engine running at the rpm where it is tuned. The tune a function of many factors we can manipulate on our simple (no carb, for instance) 2 strokes. The tuning elements we can change are venturi size, fuel, prop, muffler type and restriction, head gaskets. Frustrations are intense when we attempt to make an engine run at a slower speed than is inherent in the tune. FPs and LAs 35/40 have a false seeming sweet spot. They can be set to a rich needle on the ground, a wet 2 (almost 4) to leaner 2. The back and forth switching as the nose is pointed up or level, repeatable on the ground. Sounds sweet on the ground. Problem is that once the model is flying engine variables change. The sweet break turns into a runaway as the model flies. The engine has heated up and assumed the inherent tune. If speed is too high, time to fit a smaller venturi and set the needle leaner. (See above.) The false sweet spot, setting FP 35/40s and LA40s to the false rich setting, is a common problem leading to endless frustration. Engine is set too rich on ground. Needs to be run leaner, a  needle setting that can be repeatable from flight to flight. A needle setting that can keep the engine running in a similar way throughout the flight. If model flies too fast, go to a smaller venturi, or a prop with less pitch.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:45:58 PM by Dennis Moritz »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here