News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya 6001 Run Problems  (Read 1683 times)

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Enya 6001 Run Problems
« on: May 21, 2021, 07:44:37 AM »
I have a friend who has asked for my help with his engine run.  I thought it would be great to post here and get some good help.  Here is what he sent me:

I have a ARF Brodak P40 with a Enya 6001 7mm venturi, 3.5mm enya spraybar/NVA, 6002 head, .012 head shim, 4 ounce uniflow tank, 10% Nitro 22% oil (50/50) syn/castor, prop 11x5-12x6, tongue muffler heavily drilled out.  I am struggling with getting a consistent run.  It really sounds great on the ground with a 11x7 revup at 7500RPM, or 7350 with a MA 12x6 wood, but wants to run away in the air, the engine really seems to speed up once the plane takes off losing the 4-cycle sound and running lean. When I richen the engine enough to avoid runaway, the plane can barely take off, then once in the air it speeds up and does not do too bad, but impossible for me to predict.  I am also having to run the tank very high to even out the mixture while being inverted. 

I have experimented with the original 6001 head without .012 shim and 5% Nitro 29% castor, 12x6 prop, It is not predictable, 7250-ish on the ground, it will lean out in the air. I have also tried 0% nitro 25% oil, it acts very similar to 5% stuff.

If I remove the shim with 10% Nitro, the engine will detonate the entire flight, even rich!!

I really think this engine has real possibilities, I think I am just not understanding something.   
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Enya 6001 Run Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 09:25:18 AM »
Which 6001 do you have?
There were, I believe, three different models.
Ringed or lapped piston, ball or plain bearing?

Bob Z.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 09:34:56 AM »
   I don't have extensive Enya experience, but from reading about them, they do need an abundant time of run in on them. I would not try 7 inch pitch either. I would stick with 11-5 for flight testing and maybe some more run in on a test stand with a 10-4 or 10-5 . I don't think the Enya guys run that much oil in them either. They have some pretty good metallurgy in them with closer fits, no room for it . It would be worth it to try some running at 20% and even as low as 18% total oil. I would keep the head shims in it until you get an appreciable amount of time on it also. I don't think nitro content would be much of a factor at this point. Might even try a 6mm venturi if he has one or sleeve the current one down.
   Good luck with it!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline uglystick40

• New Pilot
  • AMA 525549
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 10:37:52 AM »
The engine is the dual ball bearing with two rings on the piston.  The engine was not new when I started using it.  I have put a gallon through it trying to figure it out. I have made some progress tightening the engine mount bolts.  SMH....It really helped with the fuel bubbling..SMH...I should of found that 1/2 gallon ago...I am really curious what prop/RPM range should I be shooting for with this engine for a good stunt run?  The 11x5 produces a 5.4sec/lap, and on click leaner produces a hot run..seems to be a very sensitive needle.  I can make a 6mm Venturi..sounds fun to try!

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 11:46:52 AM »

Do you know if this engine was originally an RC engine converted to CL?

Offline uglystick40

• New Pilot
  • AMA 525549
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 02:23:31 PM »
The engine was a RC 45 6001, I ordered the Venturi and NVA from Bob Brooks.  I also received a new tank in the mail today!  I hope to get it put on soon and try it out.  I think something is wrong in the tank.  I have not taken the time to take it apart and figure it out, figured I would put a new tank on and try it.  Work/flying has been getting in the way of my repair time!!  :)

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 09:57:59 PM »
The engine is the dual ball bearing with two rings on the piston.
I have the exact same engine which was the first of the large Enyas with ringed pistons from the latish 60's. In about '71 they modded it to a single ring as was their new 60-IIIB. Mine is the CL version with a 7.5mm venturi and, as I recall, an 11x5 prop trimmed down from a 12x5. Fuel was a straight 75/25 using Castrol M castor and was dead reliable over several hundred hours running time of practise and competitions. Mine of course used the standard head but Stuart Sherlock (aka Joe Supercool) had good results using the 6002 head.

I think you may be right that your problem is with the tank. I'd suggest using a plastic tank set up as Uniflo and try first flights without muffler pressure then go to muffler pressure and see which suits you (or the engine run) best.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 12:42:03 AM »
...... tongue muffler heavily drilled out.
The above stands out for me, perhaps its overheating the engine causing thermal runaway.
I have a pet hate for tongue 'mufflers' as they allow for little expansion and therefore cooling for hot exhaust gases.
Try something with volume and the engine should run cooler once it reaches steady state.

Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 10:13:57 AM »
We, family and I run these quite a bit and we have maybe 10 between us.  My first thought is a tank issue- maybe not enough uniflow air getting in to replace the fuel fast enough.  Like the last comment I think I’d forget the tongue muffler.  I also am doubtful about the 6002 head.  Nothing about the 6002 is as good as the 6001.  The internal crank diameter is different for on the 6002 and so it doesn’t pass fuel or air at the same volume.  The head might be different to compensate.  We use NOTHING LESS than 24% oil,  50/50 to lube AND draw away heat.
11” props are preferred.  We like Zoar 11x5 or 6.  More prop, more load, more heat and more problems.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 03:06:02 PM »
Hello The Enya 45 6001 has to be one of my favorite engines but it does not like to be too lean or too hot so I reduce the load on them till they are happy , generally with a 11x6 prop and 25%oil. I have found tongue mufflers work okay if you are not overloading them and you can use them to tailor your run with back-pressure. They are not like an LA46 and are more critical as far as the tank design and model weight .
Regards Gerald

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 10:50:08 PM »
I started flying c/l in 2006 with an Enya 45 6001 and Pathfinder ARF. With no experience, I abused this engine in any imaginable way. I  ran most of the time in 2-2-2 back then, the Pathfinder has a thick 620sq wing and it requires quite a bit of power to fly.

I  tried a lot of props, fuels, and mufflers. It never ever ran away even when I had no idea what I was doing and ran it very lean very very hot.

So I am sure you have a fuel delivery problem. You may want to check if the ring is free and not stuck.

This is a ring engine and the break-in is not different from any other ring engine and works right out of the box.  The Enya 45 6001 with no ball bearings with Iron P/L requires special break-in, and not necessarily a long break-in if you apply the correct technique, an hour and a half running on the bench it is all it takes.

This engine runs so easily, an excellent choice for a profile because it runs so smoothly. I never had a fuel foaming problem eventhough the nose of my ARF was quite weak.

It worked best with 11x7 and 12x6 props and the best muffler was the Muff L Aire, the bigger one. Then I learn from SuperCoolProp to use the 6002 head, no shim and I got an amazing 4-2-4 using Byron Tradicional 10/20 which I believe is 80% synthetic and 20% Castor.  This engine does not need more than 20% oil. I lost count of how many gallons of CoolPower 10/17 all synthetic I used with this engine running hard in 2-2-2 with a 12x6 prop.

At the end my best setup for the Pathfinder @ around 3900  D.Alt. climate was

6002 head no shim
Enya 3 GlowPlug
7.5mm venturi
Byron 10/20 Tradicional
12x6 prop
Launch at 7700~8000rpms
Muf-L-Aire tongue muffler (the bigger one)
Brodak 4.5Oz Metal Uniflow Tank no muffler pressure.

Very reliable and precise 4-2-4

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Michael Novobrantsev

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 01:46:43 PM »
Hello !
 I use my two ENYA 6001 many hours .
double ring  and custom  ABC p/l version 
ventury 6.5-6.8mm  (onesided needle was removed  from the RC carb and installed on custom made  ventury )
fuel 0% nitro , 20%castor .
 I use both types of head 6001 and 6002  without  gasket , ( 0%nitro ) ( 6002  made more power)
4-2-4 run is great  props 12/6
  I notice , one of engines after 15-20hours starts to be moody , after this i change bearings and nose gasket  - engine runs great again next  15-20 hours ,  ( i guess this crankcase slightly crooked after crashes ) , second engine have not this problem

two month ago i  made new head  , on photo 6002 combustion chamber and
 "new " shape engine running  is ever more stable , 4-2-4 shifts clearer ,
glow plug Os -F  , sometimes i make this p/l set+ head  by preorder

to Uglystick40
Write to us  :
Did changing the tank solve your problem?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here