News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:21:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enya 60 111B "new build" crankcase modifications.  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Tony Clifford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Enya 60 111B "new build" crankcase modifications.
« on: March 29, 2021, 07:29:51 PM »
Hi there, I read a report some time back (not on a forum) regarding modifications to the Enya 60 111B crankcase to firstly reduce some of the bulk and secondly elongate the mounting holes & reduce the mounting lug width to enable the use of 3/8" x 1/2" bearers rather than 1/2" square. Does anyone recall and/or possibly have a link or copy of this write-up they could send me through ?
Thanks & regards, Tony.  n~

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Enya 60 111B "new build" crankcase modifications.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 11:23:56 PM »

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain

Offline Tony Clifford

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 04:50:47 PM »
Air Ministry you are SO busted!

Anyway, I don't see much extra you could take off of that engine. You could nip those bumps for the back plate bolts and maybe reduce the cooling fins but I wouldn't. Also, looks like the motor mounts are done right, wouldn't modify those either.

Motorman 8)

Thanks for the replies, no there was minimal removed from the engine itself, just can't remember from exactly where & I don't think it involved limiting or reducing the cooling fins.
It's amazing how much fuselage bulk is increased with the use of 1/2" square mounts as opposed to the 3/8", that additional 1/4" sure adds unnecessary weight.
The modification to the mounting holes and lugs are simple enough with the "right" gear, so that should keep me happy.
By the way, the "new build" Enya 60's are a beautiful running & user friendly engine, typical of what you would expect from the Enya stable.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 09:13:25 PM »
Do you want to put a 60 on 3/8 x 1/2 ?

Why not?  That's more-or-less what everyone uses.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 11:15:33 PM »
Do you want to put a 60 on 3/8 x 1/2 ?

Motorman 8)

It really is not any problem if built right, we have  put  66s , 65, 72, 75s,  88s, and  a couple of 64s  on 3/8 in MM

Regards
Randy

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 08:37:07 PM »
I ran 1/2 x 1/2 in most of my models. I put the bearers through the router table to thin them out behind the front bulkhead. I turned them into a 1/8 angle section and then braced across with balsa. It was no heavier than solid 1/2 x 3/8.
The additional cross sectional area of the fuse you gained gave a much stronger nose, less vibration and thus more stable engine runs.
I also tapered the bearers in from the front of the motor mounts so you could bring the fuse sides in to meet a spinner nicer.
It also yields a bigger tank bay, which I needed given I fed my piped 61's 20% nitro and they drank 7.5oz of fuel - but even on my 51 sized setups the extra tank bay area was nice. It becomes easier to fit fuel filters etc.

BG

Thanks for the replies, no there was minimal removed from the engine itself, just can't remember from exactly where & I don't think it involved limiting or reducing the cooling fins.
It's amazing how much fuselage bulk is increased with the use of 1/2" square mounts as opposed to the 3/8", that additional 1/4" sure adds unnecessary weight.
The modification to the mounting holes and lugs are simple enough with the "right" gear, so that should keep me happy.
By the way, the "new build" Enya 60's are a beautiful running & user friendly engine, typical of what you would expect from the Enya stable.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 11:44:18 PM »
Anyway, I don't see much extra you could take off of that engine.
Take off the standard muffler as that weighs 3.5 Oz. and use a light weight Randy Smth one.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here

Advertise Here