News:

• May 14, 2024, 01:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Johnson 35's  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Shawn Kuntz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Ringmasters Forever!
Johnson 35's
« on: February 27, 2007, 09:19:01 AM »
I have two old Johnson 35's that were given to me years ago.  I believe they both are stuck but should turn over after they are cleaned up.  One is green annodized and the other is the natural metal color.  I did have the green one running once but remember that it did not rev real high.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  What can I do to get at least one of them running?  I would really like to build a 50's era stunt model and power it with one of these.  Help please!
Shawn Kuntz
Bismarck, North Dakota USA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Johnson 35's
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:44:36 AM »
Hi Shawn,

Like I said in the other post, make sure the wrist pin is not stuck. 

Use a castor oil fuel of at least 25% content and 5%-10% nitro.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:03:46 AM »
I got mine to run that I bought in the early sixties by using the crock pot method.  It run well on a 9x6 turns around 11K, but does have a fair amount of blow by coming out the front.  Others have said that this is not uncommon.  Mine too was stuck solid, but the crock pot and Prestone antifreeze did the trick. 
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:31:18 AM »
I got mine to run that I bought in the early sixties by using the crock pot method.  It run well on a 9x6 turns around 11K, but does have a fair amount of blow by coming out the front.  Others have said that this is not uncommon.  Mine too was stuck solid, but the crock pot and Prestone antifreeze did the trick. 
Andy

Hi Andy,

Hiw much, and what type, of oil are you running?

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 10:37:53 AM »
FWIW----I would think TWICE about using the crock pot on the green one, according to the book (AMEE) they are not annodized they are painted green
 Just my 2 cents.

"Billy G"   H^^

Thanks Bill added the word twice after you posted
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 10:41:03 AM »
If the crockpot doesn't work, and the piston is up far enough to close the exhaust port, pull the plug, fill the cyllinder with WD-40 or similar product, install the plug, then play a torch gently over the cyllinder fins. The expansion of the oil should push the piston down.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:45:54 AM »
FWIW----I would think about using the crock pot on the green one, according to the book (AMEE) they are not annodized they are painted green
 Just my 2 cents.

"Billy G"   H^^

From all I have heard, the Johnsons were painted.  If you want to keep that green finish intact, then it can be disassembled by hand, with patience. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Shawn Kuntz

• Lieutenant
  • Ringmasters Forever!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »
I will do this one by hand.  Thanks.
Shawn Kuntz

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 10:58:36 AM »
I have two old Johnson 35's that were given to me years ago.  I believe they both are stuck but should turn over after they are cleaned up.  One is green annodized and the other is the natural metal color.  I did have the green one running once but remember that it did not rev real high.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  What can I do to get at least one of them running?  I would really like to build a 50's era stunt model and power it with one of these.  Help please!

Shawn  are  these  motors  new as is  not  run, or  have they been ran before?

Randy

Offline Shawn Kuntz

• Lieutenant
  • Ringmasters Forever!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 11:38:47 AM »
The motors have been run before.  I had the green Johnson running when I was a kid but never flew with it.
Shawn Kuntz

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 12:57:39 PM »
The motors have been run before.  I had the green Johnson running when I was a kid but never flew with it.

Hi Shawn

If the motors do not  have a lot of burned on castor on them and  are  fairly  clean, I would clean them up with  wd 40 and fuel. I am sure this will work for you, if they are  heavy coked with burned on castor  DO NOT  crock pot them, you can ruin the compression when all the  coked on castor  comes off of teh piston\sleeve

If on the other hand  they have  clean piston\sleeves  do not  use  all castor  fuel in them, They will run better and  last  longer  if  you use  a  castor synthetic  blend , Use something like 25% castor 3% synth  or 20 castor 7 synth  10% nitro

REgards
Randy

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 05:53:31 PM »
Shawn, a (trick) that I have used to free up engines that are (stuck) due to castor oil is to mount the engine on a test stand, remove the plug and squirt a little fuel or pure methanol into the cylinder and fill the venturie as well,bolt a prop on. Take a heat gun and warm the engine up. Most of the time, you will be able to tell by gently wiggling the prop if the crank is free or stuck, if there is no movement of the prop, then concentrate the heat on the main bearing area and keep a little pressure on the prop. As soon as you feel a little movement at the prop, then move the heat gun so that it is directed into the exhaust port until you feel the piston let go.....I have used this methode on countless (stuck) engines and it works  in 98% of the cases...I have only had 2 engines that this methode did not work on and an over night stay in the crock pot in a mixture of half water and half prestone freed those two right up...
One was a McCoy .35 and one was a K & B Torpedo Green Head .45 and both are still running and making noise just fine today.....although, the red and green are pretty much gone from the heads.:-)   H^^  Cheers, Phil

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
Shawn
I use Sig 25% all castor and 5% nitro fuel in my Johnson, old Fox 36x, OS MaxIII and new Fox 35 engines.  They all seem to run well on this blend, I should also mention I fly near sea level here in So. Cal.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 02:52:31 PM »
FWIW...  the green Johnson is probably closer to an Orwick than Johnson...  Johnson bought out Henry Orwick and the first Johnson's were not changed very much, other than adding the name... Both are fine engines!!
Later
Jim

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:27:33 PM »
I need a piston and sleeve for a Johnson Stunt Supreme does anyone have one?
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here